• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Coronavirus

Coronavirus - The Poll

• Total voters
A lot of guessers are guessing things.

No one anywhere knows how this will play out. It's not worth worrying about because you can't influence it.
This is very true, but I must admit that I find it quite hard not to worry when the news reports are so morbid and everyone's panicking.

FO81cRq_d.jpg

And what’s going on with Wales?
Have they closed their borders
Do they have a secret anti virus medicine

Because people like you would get tested every other day and the lab wouldn’t be able to process the results needed to save people’s lives.

The test also has a high false negative rate particularly in asymptomatic patients so you could get a negative result and still actually have the virus.

Well, no not really. I just played about with the 111 tool. Basically if you have a fever, difficulty breathing, cough but have not been to an affected country and not been in contact with anyone confirmed to have it you can't get tested.

But how do you know you haven't been in contact with anyone who has it when there is now community spread taking place and the NHS can't trace who has it anymore?

In the UK you can only get a test if:

1. You get admitted to hospital and either have a respiratory issue, have been to an affected country, have a flu like illness

Think I’ll happily stay away from hospital.

It’s pretty scary that this doctor ignored the warnings & advice, and also worrying the hospital allowed him to work in the first place.

A staff member at Aintree Hospital has been diagnosed with coronavirus.

The hospital staff member was diagnosed with the virus on Monday morning after returning from Italy, taking the number of confirmed cases in the city to five.

Other staff members at the hospital who may have been in contact with the worker have been sent home to self-isolate.

The hospital trust is currently in the process of notifying patients and staff members who may have been in contact with the worker.

A trust spokesperson declined to comment on how long the member of staff returned to work for after visiting Italy, and whether they followed the protocols set down by the trust.

One concerned person said: "The member of staff in question is male, and he is a surgeon, who returned from Italy over a week ago.

"Upon return, he didn't self isolate, and went into work, and proceeded to operate on patients and mix with his colleagues. Four other colleagues who had temperatures were sent home to self isolate, but were not tested."

"Given that this employee has been in that hospital continuing to work for a week, surely the hospital needs to take a more serious approach and strong measures to ensure that the virus is not spread any further?"

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/staff-member-aintree-hospital-diagnosed-17890752

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/top-surgeon-aintree-staff-member-17895828

Having a smokers cough is interesting during this time.
Gets me a seat on the tube though. ;)

Now then, I've just heard that Trump's advisors may have caught it. This caused someone at work to comment,
"Good! I hope him, and Boris, and every bastard that voted for them catches it and dies!"

Good to see those calm moderate lefties keeping things in perspective.

Well, no not really. I just played about with the 111 tool. Basically if you have a fever, difficulty breathing, cough but have not been to an affected country and not been in contact with anyone confirmed to have it you can't get tested.

But how do you know you haven't been in contact with anyone who has it when there is now community spread taking place and the NHS can't trace who has it anymore?

You don’t know if you have come into contact in the community but here is the logic behind it not testing yet.

1) We know community spread is happening.
2) We know the test isn’t 100% effective and has a false negative that is relatively high.
3) If you have symptoms you should self isolate.
4) There is no treatment for mild to moderate symptoms.
5) If you have symptoms and a negative test you still should self isolate.

If you are not ill enough to enter a hospital and are self isolating anyway what good will the test achieve. It won’t change your management as you will still self isolate at home in bed.

Now if you go to hospital because you need support breathing then the test is needed to ensure you are appropriately isolated. If you have Covid then you need to be kept away from other sick people, if you don’t have Covid then you need to be kept away from Covid.

If we get a more reliable point-of-care test or if treatments become available the testing strategy will likely change. It will also likely change once the labs get more capacity.

The desire to still test foreign travellers is maybe to map incoming strains and transmission trends but could just be legacy advice as 111 haven’t been given any new pathways (it’s changing all the time, we got new PPE instructions issued today across the NHS and expecting a few more changes tomorrow).

Last edited:
Nadine Dorries, (Health Minister for patient safety) has tested positive for the virus.

In a statement to the BBC, Ms Dorries said: 'I can confirm I have tested positive for coronavirus.

'As soon as I was informed I took all advised precautions and have been self isolating at home.

'Public Health England has started detailed contact tracing and the department and my parliamentary office are closely following their advice.'

Ms Dorries had been part of a team that drew up legislation to tackle coronavirus before she fell ill.

Officials are in the process of identifying all people she has been in contact with since contracting the virus, including MPs.

Any who have displayed similar symptoms will be tested.

Matt Hancock, who as Health Secretary is her boss, was last night understood to be fit and well and not showing any symptoms.

He tweeted last night: 'Really sorry to hear Nadine has tested positive for coronavirus.

'She has done the right thing by self isolating at
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51827356

Last edited:
Testing - NHS have announced a huge increase in testing capability and are now aiming to do 10,000 tests per day. While this will be alarming in terms of the spike in numbers, it will be good in that people can isolate quicker, the CFR can be more representative and it will allow the government to focus containment on particular areas of the country where there are clusters. This is good news.

https://www.hsj.co.uk/quality-and-p...-more-coronavirus-cases-a-day/7027094.article

Last edited:
The good news is that our numbers aren't spiking like Italy's did. All i have heard for the last 4 days is "we're still 2 weeks behind Italy"

Well 4 days on and we've still 'only' had 6 deaths. So we're not going the same way Italy have thankfully. We must be doing something right to slow down the spread. Impossible to completely stop it though. It's out there now and it's everywhere.

Must say though that I went out briefly last night after work and I was amazed how many people I saw out and about who were clearly above retirement age. They are the ones who are really at risk. The rest of us will be fine. We might get ill for a week or two but we will be totally fine.

The cases will shoot up now they are doing more testing. May be scary but in effect this is what we need to know, exactly how many have it and where the clusters are.

The test as you correctly say will be the number of deaths. Provided the NHS can keep up with demand it should hopefully remain low.

I think this is why the government have been warning about the rise in cases for the next 2 weeks....... It's this increase in testing which will cause it.

I think the issue is the conflicting information and reactions by the different authorities around the world, we are told that this will be nothing more than a seasonal Flu for many. The symptoms are the same as the flu, and it can be fatal to those with underlying heath conditions and the elderly which is the same as flu. The WHO say's the fatalities rate is around 3.5% but our scientist in the UK say's it be more likely to be around 1%, I think this figure takes into consideration those that contract the virus but don't show or have mild symptoms.

Yet the authorities around the world has been treating this like the black death, by isolating and lock down .

No wonder why people are panicking and worrying about it. It is quiet normal for people to be scared of what they don't understand.

Apparently the only difference between the this virus and the flu is that this is a new strain of virus and the experts knows very little about it and there is no vaccine for it.

A vaccine hasn't always been available for the flu and we never had isolation or lock down because of it.

The media and fake social media sites are not helping either.

I think it not getting the virus that is worrying, but just living in limbo not knowing if we will be able to go about our daily life as normal, making plans, or if we will end up in complete lock down. Also the worry of the financial implications that this may have on us and the country.

The main feature which differentiates this to the flu is the high hospitalisation rate of around 20%, and that does include younger patients as well in need of oxygen (reports from Italy on this). Generally flu doesn't put that many people in hospital in such a short space of time. I think Italy said their hospital admissions are going up by 25% each day.

I think the scariest part about the virus is the way it can overcome a countries healthcare system very quickly meaning people can't get assistance. If everyone was guaranteed a hospital bed and ventilator of they needed it then maybe there wouldn't be the concern.

Isn't every year during the winter season our hospitals always end up full to capacity and over stretchered because of seasonal Flu?

This government has run our NHS down. And lack of beds don't necessarily mean bed literally, it also means the lack of qualified nursing staff to monitor these beds. Haven't we lost qualified Nursing staff coming from abroad due to Brexit?

The irony is that this virus is going to affect mainly the age group that voted Brexit but yet can't get the treatment due to lack of Nurses