• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Coronavirus

Coronavirus - The Poll

• Total voters
Panic will save you
Remind me never to put you in charge of anything.

Just looked up from my work, to see something on BBC News that I never expected to see: Presenter standing at a screen, showing a bright red graphic, dominated on the left hand side by the very distinctive, unmistakable symbol for RADIATION. In the fraction of a second it took to take this in, my eyes panned right to the white text, fully expecting it to read "ATTACK WARNING RED".
... But no, it just said "CORONAVIRUS".

Now, I'm pretty sure this was an error and they meant to use the biohazard sign. But sweet smegging hell, how irresponsible can you get‽ That's the kind of thing that can cause people already wound up with panic to bloody top themselves!

I made a call to someone currently working on the news. Hopefully this serious error will get passed up the chain to whoever.

@Matt N just unwatch the thread and avoid the news, job done. I've muted any relevant phrases on Twitter so I can enjoy funny cat videos and Iron Gwazi updates in peace without all the doom and gloom.

I've stopped listening to the radio because of the relentlessly miserable hourly news updates and switched to podcasts instead.

Saying that, I've also been to about 15 pubs, 20 odd supermarkets, a West End show and 2 gigs in the last few weeks.

It's pretty scary but you can take measures to put your mind at ease.

giphy.gif

@Matt N just unwatch the thread and avoid the news, job done. I've muted any relevant phrases on Twitter so I can enjoy funny cat videos and Iron Gwazi updates in peace without all the doom and gloom.

I've stopped listening to the radio because of the relentlessly miserable hourly news updates and switched to podcasts instead.

Saying that, I've also been to about 15 pubs, 20 odd supermarkets, a West End show and 2 gigs in the last few weeks.

It's pretty scary but you can take measures to put your mind at ease.

giphy.gif
The problem is; while I find it scary, I also want to stay informed in case anything does happen. I don't feel like I want to live under a rock for however many months this goes on for, if you get what I mean.

I guess the best thing for me to do is to just suck up whatever happens regardless of how worried it makes me; it'll all be fine in the end.

:eek:
Omg
I feel stressed for you
How
Can’t cope
Cos I like fun stuff. Don't wanna give up fun stuff. Taking precautions along the way but each pint makes it more difficult to remember to use hand sanitizer.

The problem is; while I find it scary, I also want to stay informed in case anything does happen. I don't feel like I want to live under a rock for however many months this goes on for, if you get what I mean.

I guess the best thing for me to do is to just suck up whatever happens regardless of how worried it makes me; it'll all be fine in the end.
Yeah absolutely check updates every couple of days or so to stay in the loop. But don't let it dominate your thoughts on a daily basis. I was getting that way recently and it's not good for you.

Italy has just announced a further lockdown, all shops except essential ones to close , factories staying open will need permission, pharmacies to stay open , otherwise further restrictions. Let's hope this works for Italy

Italy has just announced a further lockdown, all shops except essential ones to close , factories staying open will need permission, pharmacies to stay open , otherwise further restrictions. Let's hope this works for Italy

Still a joke, if you need food or medicine? You just call a number to tell the Police what you're doing and you pop down to the shop. That's not quarantine.

In answer to your question, I'd take the refund, BUT we have already been through this with them and they will only pay out if one of us is too ill to go, or the holiday is cancelled by the site, they will not pay out if its just a case of being too scared to go and this is where the problem lays, Easter is but a few weeks away, the place we are staying at is fully booked, the only way the site will be closed down is if they are forced to be by the Government.

@RoyJess I was less than a mile away from Canary Warf at a friend's flat when the IRA blew it up (or tried to), like you I lived through those years, by Christ were we being bombarded with all sorts of news stories that were going to kill us the likes of which the kids of today can only imagine, do you remember those late night "Public Education Films"? Some of them scared the crap out of me as a kid lol.

Well we will have to wait and see, but Italy had a drop in cases today, hopefully it will continue with these restrictions.

Yes I hear your regarding the holiday and I think loads of people feel the same way. I think holidays shouldn't go ahead at the moment, it's not essential, and I think people should be allowed to change dates for free. I've booked to go to Poland in June but I don't think we'll be going now unless something radically changes. Thankfully it's a cost I can absorb bit I know others aren't so lucky.

Well we will have to wait and see, but Italy had a drop in cases today, hopefully it will continue with these restrictions.

Yes I hear your regarding the holiday and I think loads of people feel the same way. I think holidays shouldn't go ahead at the moment, it's not essential, and I think people should be allowed to change dates for free. I've booked to go to Poland in June but I don't think we'll be going now unless something radically changes. Thankfully it's a cost I can absorb bit I know others aren't so lucky.

I'll take adequate action when the Country does, we're still not checking people who come into airports or ports from hotspots, including Italy, flight in from Milan very recently (yesterday or the day before), no checks at all at Heathrow.

@rob666 oh it will once he realises we've got no checks at the border so someone can drive across from Italy via France, flash their passport, drive up to Heathrow and hop on a flight to Florida without as much of a customary check on their health until they get to the passport control in Miami.

If it’s stoppable. Why have E3 cancelled their event. It’s not till June
How long is this gonna last

I think E3 had a lot of issues with attendance and whether the show is still relevant now with the rise of YouTube and social media. Therefore it was not looking great for them anyway so they took the virus excuse to cancel.

Last edited:
I think Covid-19 has been a timely reminder that life isn't a bunch of roses. We've had epidemics galore throughout the ages. We were probably overdue one in fairness. SARS / bird flu didn't quite reach this level but were definitely serious threats.

And I'm perfectly calm about it as there's absolutely zero you can do about it other than be a bit more vigilant about hygiene. If I get it then I know as a young healthy person I will probably be fine. The only people who should be worrying are the sick and elderly. They are the ones at risk and they should be isolating regardless of having it or not. Retired people don't need to be leaving their houses for the next 4-6 weeks unless it's an emergency. Simple as that.

I'll take adequate action when the Country does, we're still not checking people who come into airports or ports from hotspots, including Italy, flight in from Milan very recently (yesterday or the day before), no checks at all at Heathrow.

@rob666 oh it will once he realises we've got no checks at the border so someone can drive across from Italy via France, flash their passport, drive up to Heathrow and hop on a flight to Florida without as much of a customary check on their health until they get to the passport control in Miami.

10 people from my team in work flew to Italy on Sunday (skiing) and were flown back on Monday to the UK. They were told that they had to go straight home and self isolate straight away eventhough they were all feeling well. The company delivered laptops to them and they are now working from home. One of them is currently showing symptoms, the rest seem fine so far. The problem is, checks won't instantly show that they are positive but everyone coming from the hotspots are being told to isolate for 14 days. I think that is pretty much the best we can do at the moment, until a total lockdown and banning flights is enforced.

Seems more and more parks are coming forward to issue statements regarding the outbreak now; just had this email land in my inbox this morning from Hershey. Also noticed Pleasure Beach have issued something similar. Ultimately the consensus remains that the parks are staying open but with an increased focus on the installation of additional hand sanitiser units and more in depth cleaning procedures.

JOt-J7WUoZeuhWTwPwHdlrC9LnPLQPEh4xR6eS6J-JhowfnTs6OzyEO-kEaPTPUwm7iUc4J0fVnpdGZMh7TGBIKnn4IgJjwjI-Ul5j-CCFgpyKRk7yPgznSMtUV0dPOyGAZaMt7Qp-2pShPpI3WIWAYNoPBe0hSoacWCx5xSlfOOQMEqV4nmfRg5=s0-d-e1-ft

3/11/2020

To Our Valued Guests:

I am writing on behalf of the entire Hershey Entertainment & Resorts (HE&R) family to assure you that the health and safety of our team members, guests and community remains HE&R’s top priority. As the novel coronavirus 2019 (COVID-19) is having a greater impact in the United States, our thoughts are with all those who have been affected by the virus. Because this is a rapidly-evolving situation, we feel it is important to reach out to you about the steps we are taking across our company and properties to help keep you, our team members and our communities safe and healthy.

As part of our commitment to your health and well-being, we are carefully monitoring the COVID-19 situation with regular updates and guidance from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and the Pennsylvania Department of Health, as well as additional government agencies and health care providers. We are also working closely with our partners throughout the amusement park, entertainment and lodging industries.

Our teams across all of our properties conduct rigorous cleaning of all guest and meeting rooms and all public and back-of-house spaces several times throughout the day. Further, we follow exhaustive cleaning, sanitation, and disinfection protocols that meet or exceed extensive industry guidelines. These protocols, which assist with illness prevention, include:

• Regular sanitation training and reinforcement for our team members.
  • Clearly established cleaning and disinfection cycles for all areas.
  • Prominent placement of hand washing facilities and hand sanitizers.
  • Fast response to off-cycle cleaning issues.
  • Frequent cleaning and wash down of outdoor and high touch locations, including walkways, rides and queue lines.
Given the current concerns related to COVID-19, we are increasing our cleaning, sanitation, and disinfection frequency above our already high standards.

HE&R will more than double the number of hand sanitation machines available throughout our properties, and we are reinforcing with our team members the recommended precautionary steps from the CDC to prevent the spread of germs. These guidelines include:

• Wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
  • Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
  • Cover a cough or sneeze – preferably with a disposable tissue.
  • Avoid touching your face – especially your eyes, nose, and mouth.
  • Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects.
  • Stay home if you have flu-like symptoms.
We are taking the necessary steps to be prepared should this issue become a more significant concern for our area. HE&R will continue to implement preventive measures in line with the recommendations of the CDC and other health agencies.

Based on the guidance we've received and our general state of preparedness, we are confident our operations continue to be safe and ready to serve our guests. We will deepen our collaboration with health and government officials, so we are prepared to take whatever steps may be necessary to ensure the safety of our guests and team members.

We value each guest that honors us with a visit to our destination, and we look forward to serving you upon your next visit to Hershey.

QJ4MZ9JAc5bcO30ohhI3YSCBbr1mk4gRcNf2Rqug5OigylBl0c6MGqmXNjl8pBUe3KRy3N1xUNIoKBOgYCUUQOCu_lAQDXrzMookLwtsy7Okc_XPw5mVnBcpHY00TkKznpx9rFumhqC0WLay8_AUZ0_QIUvZR4ly_X5A13EZp6U59KwEjgFIKXp9R7URT9Dnh1AHJQgkHtknyLJie-U=s0-d-e1-ft

John Lawn
President & Chief Executive Officer
Hershey Entertainment & Resorts

And I'm perfectly calm about it as there's absolutely zero you can do about it other than be a bit more vigilant about hygiene. If I get it then I know as a young healthy person I will probably be fine. The only people who should be worrying are the sick and elderly. They are the ones at risk and they should be isolating regardless of having it or not. Retired people don't need to be leaving their houses for the next 4-6 weeks unless it's an emergency. Simple as that.

This is a misconception. Firstly, any age can get it and any age can get pneumonia from it. IN the 80% mild figures from China, they included pneumonia as a symptom of a mild illness.

Secondly, doctors in Italy are saying half the patients in ICU are elderly and half are young (lowest age so far is 18), and that because of the younger group coming through, they may have to put an age restriction on who goes in to ICU now to give the younger ones treatment in favour of the elders.

Third, the young people in China and other countries who did catch it, many ended up needing oxygen. Provided we can all pop in to the NHS and get some should we need it then nothing to worry about.

However, that said, it is mainly the elderly who will die from this, but its a wrong to suggest younger people wont end up in ICU - difference being they will probably pull through. I think anyone under 30 probably has nothing to worry about, 30-50 moderate worry, 60+ dont go outside, bolt the door!

I don't know if this has been posted in here but Tom Hanks now has tested positive for Coronavirus. So the virus has now gone Hollywood.
He & his wife (both positive) are in Australia and there was a suggestion they were already infected before arriving in Australia and now the potential risk they’ve infected others (they’ve been doing meets and a show at Sydney Opera House)

Last edited: