• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Coronavirus

Coronavirus - The Poll

• Total voters
I hope the push for hygiene in parks will mean hot water in all the toilets again.

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

I hope the push for hygiene in parks will mean hot water in all the toilets again.

The latest info from Merlin’s FAQ imply hot water is available, has to be seen if that’s every toilet block and if it’s actually hot water or just warmer than ambient temperature :rolleyes:

We ask all our guests to observe high standards of personal hygiene whilst visiting Alton Towers Resort. There are simple things you can do to help prevent the spread of the virus, including:

• Covering your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when you cough or sneeze
  • Putting used tissues in the bin immediately
  • Washing your hands with soap and hot water regularly, and using hand sanitiser gel
  • Trying to avoid close contact with people who are unwell
  • Avoiding touching your eyes, nose or mouth if your hands are not clean.

https://www.altontowers.com/plan-your-visit/coronavirus/

As of services weekend there had been no change in the hot water supply to the toilets at Alton Towers.
Which begs the question why are they telling people to use hot water to wash hands if it’s not a widely available and as you know Rob it is something they’ve been aware of for years.

Hot water regulation. Water temp should be at least 50c within one minute of running the water.

10 people from my team in work flew to Italy on Sunday (skiing) and were flown back on Monday to the UK. They were told that they had to go straight home and self isolate straight away eventhough they were all feeling well. The company delivered laptops to them and they are now working from home. One of them is currently showing symptoms, the rest seem fine so far. The problem is, checks won't instantly show that they are positive but everyone coming from the hotspots are being told to isolate for 14 days. I think that is pretty much the best we can do at the moment, until a total lockdown and banning flights is enforced.

They are not the people that need checking, the self isolation works, it's the people coming in now that are showing symptoms and are walking through without being checked that are the problem.

Asking people to self-isolate is like telling people not to run, eventually someone will ignore the request and the whole system collapses.

I'm all for using common sense and practical solutions but we should have been doing this weeks ago and setting up checkpoints at borders, not now and certainly not relying on people's honesty to start volunteering to do something, I said at the beginning of this, if you come into the country, it's mandatory 3 weeks quarantene, no exceptions, but I (along with Gary) were told not to panic and we were overreacting at the time for saying it.

I've just had a security guard shout at me to wash my hands in a well know supermarket because I didn't when I went for a pee,

1) I didn't pee on my hands and did not did I touch anything in the toilet, not even the door handle to get in (just my zip and junk).
2) I had not one, but two pairs of gloves on, a rubber pair, and a wolly one (it's cold and wearing rubber gloves is a good way to keep warm and dry), I showed him, he still insisted.
3) The sink looked like penicillin was about to start forming on it it was that dirty.

But no, despite all this, I was being stupid and selfish for not removing two layers of protective clothing to wash my hands that hadn't touched anything since I left home in a sink that looked like it hadn't been cleaned for a week, because "the authorities say you should wash your hands".

I honestly wonder how some people manage to get themselves dressed each morning, I suppose there will be one good thing to come from this, it'll probably get rid of those too stupid for their own good, at first I disagreed with the likes of, I think it was, Dave and pluk that said not to panic and just use common sense, but now I'm starting to see it from their point of view, some people have lost their grasp of reality over this and I'm not sure which one is worse (the virus or the hysteria).

Last edited:
To be honest with you @IanSR , when this first started in the very first week I knew this had potential, but was shot down by friends for being stupid, and that this will come to nothing and be no worse than just the flu. They couldnt have been more wrong.

There was an interview in the states yesterday with a virologist, who said the following:

'It's just beginning,' Osterholm said. 'In terms of the hurt, pain, suffering, death that has happened so far is really just the beginning,' he told host Joe Rogan. 'This is going to unfold for months to come. We're gonna be in some hurt for the next few months.'

I think this sums up exactly what people are failing to grasp at the moment because the "bomb" hasn't hit the UK yet...

To be honest with you @IanSR , when this first started in the very first week I knew this had potential, but was shot down by friends for being stupid, and that this will come to nothing and be no worse than just the flu. They couldnt have been more wrong.

There was an interview in the states yesterday with a virologist, who said the following:

'It's just beginning,' Osterholm said. 'In terms of the hurt, pain, suffering, death that has happened so far is really just the beginning,' he told host Joe Rogan. 'This is going to unfold for months to come. We're gonna be in some hurt for the next few months.'

I think this sums up exactly what people are failing to grasp at the moment because the "bomb" hasn't hit the UK yet...

I had the same reaction, I go to a flying club once a week and was laughed at for wearing rubber gloves under my wholly ones, I tend to do this when flying anyway because it gets very cold very quickly outside this time of year and when you're trying to control an rc plane in the middle of a field, the slightest breeze can hurt, but this was when we were flying indoors and they all took the mickey.

Last week, everybody was wearing gloves and we all sat two meters away from each other on the flight line, there was no more mickey taking and the penny had dropped that this was serious. Adequate, but sensible precautions were now being taken and as far as I know we're all still virus free, but the booking hasn't been cancelled and probably won't be unless the government bring in proper curfews.

Washing your hands is still the best way to go, when you was them, you are washing things away. Other methods including hand gel just adds to the hands.

It seems that we are so obsessed with the hand washing and no hand shaking at the moment. The elbow/foot bump is now the in thing. But this virus can still be passed on without contact as it is an airborne virus up to a few feet.

Jess and I was at the hospital today for a follow up appointment (non virus related). They have removed all their self service check in touch screens to prevent the spread of the virus. So now we have to check in at the main desk. But yet to arrive at the hospital and to leave by car, we still have to use the touch screens to pay for our parking tickets :rolleyes:

If anyone thinking that they are under the illusion of this virus being a winter one and will die down when the weather gets warmer, the stats has shown that this virus spreads more quickly in the warmer countries than the colder ones, especially around the equator where infections are at their highest.

McLaren have withdrawn from the race weekend due to a positive case of team member.

It was rather bullish of F1 to think their “bubble” was safe.

If anyone thinking that they are under the illusion of this virus being a winter one and will die down when the weather gets warmer, the stats has shown that this virus spreads more quickly in the warmer countries than the colder ones, especially around the equator where infections are at their highest.

Do they? I'm not say that's not true, but it contradicts what I have seen via worldometers. The virus seems to have spread much faster in European countires, including Scandinavia, than it has in say Thailand or Veitnam.

On the subject of worldometers, they now have a dedicated UK page. It appears all of our currently active cases are “mild”. Even if you include viral pneumonia in that, that’s still nowhere near as bad as it seems for the NHS. Means none are requiring interbating (sp?). We also only have a 1.7% CFR which although has risen is still below that of SARS I believe, so more good news there. Only 18 showing as currently recovered though. AFAIK all our deaths have been elderly with underlying health conditions. The logarithmic graph for the UK new infections does show it starting to flatten out which is a good sign.

In other news, mild cases have become more notable, up from 84% to 90% globally. 128,058 total cases globally with over 68k recovered is also a good sign. Furthermore, only 55k currently active cases, 10% serious.

Considering this thing is as making a “ruthless comeback”. The outlook to me is still pretty positive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a misconception. Firstly, any age can get it and any age can get pneumonia from it. IN the 80% mild figures from China, they included pneumonia as a symptom of a mild illness.

What they said is not a misconception. Yes it can kill anyone, many things can in the right circumstances, but as they said your chances of being seriously affected as a fit healthy young person are tiny compared to those in higher risk categories.

You could be dead tomorrow. You probably won't be. Why worry when beyond the basic hygiene stuff and putting the smokes down if you're a smoker there really is nothing you can do about it. May as well just roll with it and see what hand you're delt.

On the subject of worldometers, they now have a dedicated UK page. It appears all of our currently active cases are “mild”. Even if you include viral pneumonia in that, that’s still nowhere near as bad as it seems for the NHS. Means none are requiring interbating (sp?). We also only have a 1.7% CFR which although has risen is still below that of SARS I believe, so more good news there. Only 18 showing as currently recovered though. AFAIK all our deaths have been elderly with underlying health conditions. The logarithmic graph for the UK new infections does show it starting to flatten out which is a good sign.

In other news, mild cases have become more notable, up from 84% to 90% globally. 128,058 total cases globally with over 68k recovered is also a good sign. Furthermore, only 55k currently active cases, 10% serious.

Considering this thing is as making a “ruthless comeback”. The outlook to me is still pretty positive.

The problem with some of the data on worldometers is that it is entirely dependent on the statstics published by each individual country. Are we actively publishing stats of serious/critical cases and of those who have recovered. And how are we determining when people who do not need to go in to hospital have recovered? Is every country testing everyone at home when they think they feel better? Statstics are great but the same statistic can always be presented in many different ways!

Also don't be fooled by the logarithmic chart; China's flattened out very quickly too.

My personal feeling is that there are a lot of relatively mild cases around the world that are not being counted due to testing limitations. I've read various stories on other forums of people have all the symptons and are told that they probably have it, but do not meet testing criteria. Of course, the more people that only get mild symptons the better. It looks like the UK government want us to generate herd immunity and are somewhat content with it spreading, but want it to spread as slowly as possible so that the NHS has capacity to deal with the minority of case which do require critical care.

Heres an interesting thread which is progressing, its an NHS staff member with the virus. He is detailing how he is feeling each day and taking ultrasounds of his lungs each day showing what the virus is doing. He's 35 years old.

The problem with some of the data on worldometers is that it is entirely dependent on the statstics published by each individual country. Are we actively publishing stats of serious/critical cases and of those who have recovered. And how are we determining when people who do not need to go in to hospital have recovered? Is every country testing everyone at home when they think they feel better? Statstics are great but the same statistic can always be presented in many different ways!

Also don't be fooled by the logarithmic chart; China's flattened out very quickly too.

My personal feeling is that there are a lot of relatively mild cases around the world that are not being counted due to testing limitations. I've read various stories on other forums of people have all the symptons and are told that they probably have it, but do not meet testing criteria. Of course, the more people that only get mild symptons the better. It looks like the UK government want us to generate herd immunity and are somewhat content with it spreading, but want it to spread as slowly as possible so that the NHS has capacity to deal with the minority of case which do require critical care.
RE the log graph; agreed that flattening out doesn’t exactly mean that we’re beating it just numbers arnt expanding logarithmically. Which was more my point, a flattened log graph is better then a heavily rising log graph :)

RE Statistics; agreed that they can be presented in many different ways and presented differently and are relying on data provided in ref to worldometers, but as by standers all we can do is look at data provided.

I suspect there are thousands of mild cases around that people arnt getting checked or medically intervened. Just trying to keep a positive light on things.

Cobra meeting today, rumour mill has it following steps of Ireland and USA and locking borders, closing schools and non essential workplaces for two weeks. But again, rumour mill. Will be an interesting reveal once the meetings concluded.

Reactions: Rob
Do they? I'm not say that's not true, but it contradicts what I have seen via worldometers. The virus seems to have spread much faster in European countires, including Scandinavia, than it has in say Thailand or Veitnam.

I think you taken my word Equator literally. I was only relaying what was said on TV (can't remember if it was last night or this morning). The bottom line is that this virus is doing well in hotter countries than our summer.

OjcvZ1E.png

Marking out the centre hemisphere around the equator

yr3rv6o.png