Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Corner Coffee' started by Jb85, 14th Feb 2020.

?

Coronavirus - The Poll

1. Not had test

41.1%
  2. Tested negative

50.7%
  3. Tested positive

8.2%
  1. Rick

Rick TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Crux
    Clapping echoing around the neighbourhood, what a great moment.

zerogravity and USLShadow like this.
  2. bluesonichd

bluesonichd TowersStreet Member

With them not paying SE till June
    This is how long they are expecting to keep us all locked up for. At a minimum
    I can’t see how they expect there not to be riots before then.
    Virus or no virus.
    Take away people freedom and they will rebel

IanSR, ringo and DiogoJ42 like this.
  3. IanSR

IanSR TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Smiler
    A couple of the guys I race with who are from Russia have said they closed the borders almost immediately (about a month ago iirc), only Russian nationals were allowed to enter and anybody who did was put in strict quarantine for 14 days, basically what we should of done originally.

They said it's pretty much life as normal, they find our reaction and restrictions very amusing, small pockets of cases pop up and when they do the whole area is put into quarantine and everybody locked down until the infection rate hits zero.

So the Russian figures are probably somewhere between the truth and China's explanations, not quiet as bad as China, but not quiet as honest as say Italy.

ThisGuy, DiogoJ42 and GaryH like this.
  4. Thameslink Rail

Thameslink Rail TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Smiler
    I suppose the Russians are more used to their government intervening than we are.

jon81uk and DiogoJ42 like this.
  5. GaryH

GaryH TowersStreet Member

Russia acted insanely quick when China announced this and closed borders, one could argue they almost were expecting it.

6. IanSR

Favourite Ride:
    Smiler
    I guess so @Thameslink Rail but you never know with them, people get disappeared over there all the time so the numbers could be a load of bull, it's North Korea style state media so good citizens will lap up what they are told, I suspect.

Mind you, given what's just been passed into law today, I'm not sure which Country has the more authoritarian regime in charge at the moment between us and them.

7. monkeyboy

monkeyboy TowersStreet Member

Whatever the outcome, whatever the government says. Do NOT take their vacation pill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DiogoJ42 likes this.
  8. DiogoJ42

DiogoJ42 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Metropolitan Line
    I'm now pretty certain that when this has finally blown over, people will be so desperate for human contact that there will be mass orgies in the street. A no hole left untouched Love-in.

So, there's that to look forward to, at least.

RicketyCricket, Alsty, GaryH and 4 others like this.
  9. bluesonichd

[​IMG]

Spread some more std about. Share the love

MattyH likes this.
  10. RoyJess

RoyJess TowersStreet Member

Last night I popped my head out my front door a 8pm, not one person was out clapping. Absolute silence down my street.

Am I'm correct that a couple of our mods work for the NHS? Appreciation and thanks sent to all front line workers for putting their own lives at risk to help fight this virus and to save lives. Please stay safe, stay at home, and if you must go out, be careful and keep your distance.

11. IanSR

Favourite Ride:
    Smiler
    We did it, my dad is a boomer and had the attitude of "well that ain't gonna help them in reality just make them feel good" and I was like, "isn't that the point?, it's not costing me anything to clap my hands for a minute so why not do it?".

12. D4n

D4n TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Taron
    I guess closing the borders wasn't so effective after all.

Islander likes this.
  13. IanSR

Favourite Ride:
    Smiler
    Compared to Italy, I'd say that's a fairly good record since we all got our first cases at around the same time.

.....and Boris has Coronovirus btw.

Last edited: 27th Mar 2020
  14. GaryH

GaryH TowersStreet Member

15. ringo

ringo TowersStreet Member

Doublethink and RoyJess like this.
  16. bluesonichd

Whoop! Free Broadband everyone,, we are saved :rolleyes:

17. speedy

speedy TowersStreet Member

Joking aside, free broadband would actually make a lot of sense with so many job losses and folks staying inside and... using the internet.

Mer, CSLKenny, RoyJess and 3 others like this.
  18. ringo

ringo TowersStreet Member

Same could be argued for utilities.

Completely agree that anyone who’s lost a job due to this situation should be treated with respect and understanding. I think most businesses would be very flexible at the moment but as always if you find yourself in a situation where you can’t afford things you must speak out and let the businesses you deal with aware of your own situation.

As we’ve seen already some big players are helping where they can, Sky for example effectively giving you Sports for free but then you have BT who won’t budge on the issue.

Social pressure will right the wrongs of businesses who aren’t being flexible, look at the National Trust pages for one. They’ve closed everything and aren’t going to pause / extended memberships.

speedy likes this.
  19. RoyJess

RoyJess TowersStreet Member

Two things come straight to mind

1. Why does he and Prince Charles qualify to be tested when the front line NHS staff could do with being tested to see who has it or not so that the NHS staff can come out of self isolation and help out at the hospital?

2. How can we all take the government advice seriously if he himself failed to keep the virus at bay?

Mer, Alsty, BeccaH and 2 others like this.
  20. speedy

speedy TowersStreet Member

I lean towards nationalisation for essential utilities anyway and I view the internet as an essential utility. My opinion on that matter has little to do with the coronavirus! The virus has highlighted the importance of speedy internet for all and I see no advantage in splitting human resources between multiple service providers.

It's good to see companies like Sky offering free sports. The government can't really force businesses to cancel/pause subscriptions but I very much hope no financial aid is given to companies like BT you mentioned who aren't helping their customers.