• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Disneyland Paris 2014: 'Ratatouille' dark ride

As for the ride, do we know what movements the vehicles have? Is it just basic movement around the floor or do they have some movements on other axes to interact with what is on the screens? I feel that would make a big difference to the overall experience.
:)

Spoiler packed review:
http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201406/4085/

The review also manages to make it sound sooo much better than the On-ride video.

Certainly suggests Tilt and Vibration actions on the cars.

Reactions: Rob
If Towers got something like this it would be amazing. Compare Ratatouille to any of Merlin's current dark rides, there is no comparision at all. We can only dream of Towers getting a dark ride of this standard at the moment. The only reason that this looks so disappointing is because of Disney's outstanding track record with dark rides; this just doesn't seem to live up to those levels. It still looks a good ride if looked at in complete isolation.

You'd be happy if towers bought some projectors and a few bits of themeing in-between..?

You'd be happy if towers bought some projectors and a few bits of themeing in-between..?
Yes. Towers don't have anything near a trackless bespoke dark ride set in a beautifully themed area with a lovely looking restaurant, some nice set pieces and giant domed 3D HD projection screens.

Who would possibly turn that down at Towers?!

------

As for DLP in general, InsideDLParis posted some pictures on Facebook today of long lines at food units with many restaurants closed - not good.

Yes. Towers don't have anything near a trackless bespoke dark ride set in a beautifully themed area with a lovely looking restaurant, some nice set pieces and giant domed 3D HD projection screens.

Who would possibly turn that down at Towers.
Not to mention bespoke animation by probably the world's top animation studio and a soundtrack from a world famous composer.

Who would possibly turn that down at Towers?!
I wasn't commenting on the trackless feature or the rest of the area, that looks fantastic, all I'm saying it that the physical attraction looks poor. The ride itself (minus the trackless element) would be the sort of thing I'd expect to see in a dark ride at Thorpe. Screens that basically play edited clips from the film are poor.

As for DLP in general, InsideDLParis posted some pictures on Facebook today of long lines at food units with many restaurants closed - not good.
It appears that Disney are unfortunately getting ideas from Merlin. :(

This ever increasing trend towards projection rather than physical animatronics has spilled over from the film industry's over use of CGI when a practical effect would have done.

I'm sure I asked JW a question about his feelings on this when we had the Q&A back on TTF, but I can't seem to find it.

I'm sure I asked JW a question about his feelings on this when we had the Q&A back on TTF, but I can't seem to find it.
You asked a guy who's peak of dark ride excellence was..... Haunted House? Bubbleworks? Not sure Disney will be too worried :p

I do agree the use of screens is taking over though and prefer models/animatronics with projection mapping as the best a method of theming... I just like to make a point.

I prefer a combination of screens and models/animatronics, if the developer wishes to incorporate screens into the ride.

If we look at the latest major dark rides in Europe (which admittedly, is slim pickings..):

Huntik:
Very little model/animatronic effect. Ride is a more basic version of Spiderman/Transformers. Ride vehicle movement is far more limited than Spiderman, although theming is pretty good. Slightly ill-placed screens in places leave riders feeling detached from ride experience. The Curse of Darkastle also suffers this fate in places (although not as much), whereas Spiderman seems to get positioning spot on.

Arthur:
I haven't been on this yet, although screens play only a minor role in two short locations of the ride. The screens seem less designed to place riders within the action, more as a narrative tool. Ride generally relies on more basic animatronic/model features.

Ratatouille:
Seems to be based 90% on screens. Some of these appear very well placed and HD. Almost entirely lacking animatronic features.

And frankly, I can't think of another major dark ride in Europe in the past 5 years. None of the above 3 rides seem to get the balance right :p - either they don't have the top level animatronics, or they don't have animatronics at all, or the screen quality isn't good enough...!

But really... we ought to be grateful we have what we do have, because very few parks are even bothering with major ones... we've had several Abenteuer Atlantis/Reset Anno Zero level dark rides which are all very well and good, but nothing on the scale of any of the above. The likes of PortAventura, Tivoli Gardens, Gardaland, Alton Towers. Efteling... these are all major European parks but they haven't added major new dark rides recently... so be grateful we even have Ratatouille and Arthur!

Oh come on Ratatouille is not just some projectors and a few bits of theming. It reportedly cost €150 million! Just because it is not up to the standard of some other Disney dark rides does not mean it is not a good ride. It is far too reliant on screens however if Towers got anything like that I think we would all be over the moon. It's also a very high tech ride system which does count for something.

You say it's something you'd expect to see at Thorpe. Well if Thorpe do get the rumoured dark ride next year we shall see how they compare!

I do agree the use of screens is taking over though and prefer models/animatronics with projection mapping as the best a method of theming... I just like to make a point.

I'll agree that projection mapping on to a physical object works well.

You say it's something you'd expect to see at Thorpe. Well if Thorpe do get the rumoured dark ride next year we shall see how they compare!

Find myself agreeing with Rob a lot lately. The suggestion we'd not be happy if Towers built this.... after Charlie...

LOL

Isn't that a bit like saying "being stabbed in the gut isn't as bad as being kicked in the nuts"? ;)

I know, it's worrying isn't it! ;) But yes, no Merlin UK dark ride compares to Ratatouille in the slightest!

Some of them would've if they weren't ruined by Tussauds in the early - mid noughties. Terror Tomb and the original Bubbleworks would've beaten Ratatouille. Toyland Tours had the same sort of vibe as it's a small world...

Some of them would've if they weren't ruined by Tussauds in the early - mid noughties. Terror Tomb and the original Bubbleworks would've beaten Ratatouille. Toyland Tours had the same sort of vibe as it's a small world...

No it wouldn't. It might use 3D screens but it still looks like an incredibly immersive attraction. I'm impressed, and think that actually riding it will probably be a lot bet than the POV.

I really doubt that they would. I never rode any of those rides but I can't see any early 1990s dark rides comparing to modern high tech 2010s dark rides.

I definitely think something like the original Haunted House, at its peak, would have had more interest and/or charm than Ratatouille. But clearly, Ratatouille has a very, very high finishing standard which is going to be hard to beat.

However, a ride based 90% on screens really doesn't that much for us to get interested in. Animatronics and scenery are far more interesting to look into and find out about.

Very poor from the POV.. it doesn't seem to spark any magic or interest.

We all know rides ride better in life than in POVs.. but all this has made me feel is how utterly amazing Mystic Manor must be in person. Screw you Paris, and your crap rides.

Most reviews have said that it looks much better in person rather than on a video as the video screen effects will never come across properly when filmed

There also appears to be a little more physical theming than appears in that video as the physical stuff is used to supplement the video screens and create the surroundings and is therefore not caught in in the limited view in front that a camera captures.