• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Duel: The Haunted House Actually Strikes Back - Refurb Incoming

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
All these photos are ace. Makes you realise though how much of the ride is actually made by the lighting....

I agree, it is worth remembering though that these scenes in particular are particularly the darker ones in the whole ride. Other scenes such as the dining room and garden have much more physical sets. But yeah, these bits specifically are truly made by the lighting.

Thats a photo also from the Duel revamp when the windows were taken out for works. Not sure why they were taken out though

I highly doubt those 2 Duel construction photos (from the park's own archive) or those views behind the scenes were originally published with permission, but whatever

Towers went through a period of letting folk into the archives (including us when we ran TT, we brought it all over here when we moved). I don’t think those two pictures are from our haul of pictures but they could be and everything photographed was with the parks permission (you can’t really get in without their permission and they have restricted access for years now). There was at least one other group who had permission from memory.

Thats a photo also from the Duel revamp when the windows were taken out for works. Not sure why they were taken out though

I highly doubt those 2 Duel construction photos (from the park's own archive) or those views behind the scenes were originally published with permission, but whatever
I suppose since the windows don't have any lighting going behind them, they were altered to not have any. Maybe that's why they moved the windows during the revamp, to remove the lights behind the window.

Or there could be issues with the CCTV on that day 😉

Funnily enough Duel was one of the only rides still open when everything else was down yesterday. It must have an old CCTV system.

I guess after the revamp it will be on the new centralised system so will go down with the rest of the rides next year when they have network issues! :tearsofjoy:

I gave credit of where was known to my knowledge. Regardless, I would counter argue about permission because I have used them in an educational setting - purely by chance may I add. The text I have written is educating people about the in's and out's, quirks and such of the attraction. That a lot of people do not know about the attraction. Therefor, my use of the images falls firmly under fair usage - this does extend to using them online in an educational setting rather than an institution such as a school, which also does not have to explicitly be an educational website either. Given the nature of this forum, a lot of educational and informative news pieces are written by the team and members alike. Further supporting my fair use argument in the setting where I have posted it. News is another area where it could fall under fair use. The wording in copyright law and fair usage is very ambiguous and open to interpretation on purpose. So that it can fit and mould to peoples needs. It was designed to encourage sharing after all, not hinder it!

That said, if someone really had an issue with me posting harmless photos for peoples enjoyment and it really kept them awake at night, I am not unreasonable and I would remove them and respect their wishes. I am here to build bridges and share a passion with like-minded people, not burn bridges and make enemies, so I would absolutely act on any request regardless of what I believe to be fair use or not. I would just do it out of the notion of being good towards other people. Anyway, that is enough of that. This is not the place for copyright law discussion but I feel that needed to be addressed.

Very interesting that you mention about the photo being from the refurbishment and not from construction. I wonder what they were doing when they removed them. As the screens were added on the opposite side if I remember correctly?

Interesting about the Duel CCTV, I suspect one of the advantages of having a centralised system, is that all CCTV can potentially be monitored at all times from any place. The only issue being, like yesterday, when the network goes down, it all goes.

Last edited:
Seems a bit of an odd system where all CCTV died. I'm guessing they're not permitted to run if links to the central core are lost.

The same day it was also reported people were in Sub Terra and in the central core where they discovered a nest of CAT V cables. They were originally discovered during the 2012 investigations but were ignored, they had disappointing rides on their minds. Files have been lost showing the original routing of the cables but the sub-contractors were creative and made their own by removing all the cables and winging it....

Towers went through a period of letting folk into the archives (including us when we ran TT, we brought it all over here when we moved). I don’t think those two pictures are from our haul of pictures but they could be and everything photographed was with the parks permission (you can’t really get in without their permission and they have restricted access for years now). There was at least one other group who had permission from memory.
Not from our collection, no - when we were there most of the Duel/HH pics were out 'on loan' so to speak elsewhere in the park. If I recall, I think whilst we were there, it was mentioned Michael had been in for research purposes at some point before us.

Not from our collection, no - when we were there most of the Duel/HH pics were out 'on loan' so to speak elsewhere in the park. If I recall, I think whilst we were there, it was mentioned Michael had been in for research purposes at some point before us.

You have far better memory than I do of that day 😂 I got too engrossed in SW1 & 2 plans clearly!

That said, if someone really had an issue with me posting harmless photos for peoples enjoyment
I wasn't talking about you, you didn't publish the photos.

I don't care who did post the photos, it's nothing personal. Just a general comment that these kinds of areas are strictly forbidden to take photos of and upload without permission from the park marketing team.

I've worked with park archive material for the last 8 years at different parks and filmed backstage at a few, there are huge hoops to jump through. If they got permission then they got permission

Last edited by a moderator:

I don't care who did post the photos, it's nothing personal. Just a general comment that these kinds of areas are strictly forbidden to take photos of and upload without permission from the park marketing team.

I've worked with park archive material for the last 8 years at different parks and filmed backstage at a few, there are huge hoops to jump through. If they got permission then they got permission
That's a fair point, but if an area is visible from guest pathways (like Sub Terra is), then guests are more likely to be curious and take photos. If Towers didn't want people to be nosy, they would put a screen around it. Plus, being able to see construction gets guests hyped up!

Last edited:

Oh I get you! Sorry, slight mis reading on my part. Although it is good information for anyone to know I guess.

I am eagerly awaiting your re made videos, specifically The Haunted House one. It, along with the others were excellent and fantastic to watch. Do you have a remade Haunted House one coming still or have plans changed?

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.