• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Flat Rides: What would you like to see come to the park?

I’m sure you just make stuff up as you go along to try and fit whatever random narrative you are trying to push at the time.

Alton Towers is a park that offers something for all, toddlers, families, family thrill and thrill seekers, that has been the case for 40 years. If they were to install a couple of family thrill flats it is not them ‘moving away’ from appealing to thrill seekers in some kind of response to Thorpe Park. It is simply building a mixture of attractions to appeal to all age ranges and re balancing the type rides they have lost in the last 10 years.

Oh and RMT is a family coaster.

Chuck an extreme flat in the Valley and you have everything. Extreme and thrill (but not intense) coasters, extreme and family flats, plus a dark ride, a sit down eatery, a fast food outlet, a snack outlet and now a shop. That's what all areas of Towers should be roughly aiming for.

Dark Forest for example has the coasters covered, but a pair of flat rides (one on the UG Swinger site, one possibly on the land around Darkest Depths?), plus having Hex 2 mins walk away would do the trick. If no room for 2 flats, have an extreme one in the area and you have Walliams around the corner.

Chuck an extreme flat in the Valley and you have everything. Extreme and thrill (but not intense) coasters, extreme and family flats, plus a dark ride, a sit down eatery, a fast food outlet, a snack outlet and now a shop. That's what all areas of Towers should be roughly aiming for.

Dark Forest for example has the coasters covered, but a pair of flat rides (one on the UG Swinger site, one possibly on the land around Darkest Depths?), plus having Hex 2 mins walk away would do the trick. If no room for 2 flats, have an extreme one in the area and you have Walliams around the corner.
Totally agree. Although using the Williams area to a advantage for dark forest must feel like a low ha ha ha

Nope its a kiddie coaster. We're not putting RMT in the same bracket as Th13teen Spinball. Kid coasters at the bottom then family then thrill
Is there any point arguing over what’s a kiddie coaster and what isn’t? It doesn’t add anything to the discussion. Anyone can enjoy any coaster without them having to be classified as this or that.

I don't know what they're called, but one of those four sided things where the seated arms rotate and interweave like gears. They're hypnotic to watch

They only get around 350 people per hour don’t they? Would hope they go for something with higher throughput.
I don’t know an exact throughput, but the one at Drayton certainly loaded pretty slowly.

The ride type is intrinsically limited throughput-wise by the fact that they can only load and unload a few of the seats at any one time. The whole process of rotating each arm round and loading and unloading the seats at the bottom takes a while, and that’s something that no quick operating team could easily get around.

Just to add my 2pence. RMT is a family coaster. Octonauts is a kiddie coaster. Thi3teen and Wickerman are family thrill coasters.
Ok then I accept this. Anyway back to flat rides at towers. Well a lot of thrill flats go above the towers height limit so that's a real blow. That rules out a ride like serengeti flyer. A few that I can think of that wouldn't be a problem with height:
-Top scan
-Kmg afterburner
-Gyro swing
-Kmg freak out
-Tivoli extreme
-Super star
-Stargate
-Exciter
-High roller
-Zamperla air race

Honestly I'd be happy with any of them but who knows what towers are looking at

I think the first four on your list would be pushing the height limit at Alton Towers.

They certainly would be too tall for anywhere outside X-Sector. And even in X-Sector, these would all be taller than any other flat ride that's been in that area.

Breakdance, polyp, enterprise.

Not groundbreaking but absolute staples, reliable when not ancient, themeable, good value for the park compared to more complex machines, decent throughputs and covers a good range of rider age and size.

Put 2 of the 3 undercover

In fact whatever they choose, dear god stick it in a building. Put a cover over it.

Maintenance improves, guest enjoyment improves and ability to change lighting, add audio etc is much higher. And they can be used all year

X Sector needs 2 supporting attractions immediately. They don't necessarily have to be flats (used to have Cine 2000/360, can't remember which, down there at one point). There's a big steep hill to walk up and down, a fair amount of land that looks like a dead end without anything there and just two 1.4 coasters. One of those coasters suffers from quite severe capacity issues.

This is why Enterprise going is such a blow. A family thrill ride with a lower height restriction of 0.9 so really accessible. It needs something else along those lines alongside something thrilling enough with a 1.2 height restriction on the other site. You then have quite a rounded area and I'd like to see the colour coding return, being incorporated with the theme. Yellow for Smiler, Orange for Oblivion, blue for one flat, green for the other.

If a 1.4 high thrill flat is needed anywhere, it's Dark Forest. It needs something heavily themed to liven up that area and draw people in. Maybe even theme and open up the old arcade as an undercover part of queue line and entrance portal to it to provide shelter and spruce the area up, with benches near the ride for spectators. Families will have Thirteen, Hex and Horizon not too far away, and hopefully a good family ride in the Dungeons so it wouldn't make the area feel like a no-go for families.

Forbidden Valley should be last on the list. Although it'll never be complete without the Ripsaw site being filled, the other areas need additional attractions first. Putting a 1.4 restricted ride there would only leave Blade for families when you're deep in. It needs something else for families to do.

Putting a 1.4 restricted ride there would only leave Blade for families when you're deep in. It need something else for families to do.
Forbidden Valley and x sector are areas for thrill seekers. Families already have Cbeebies, Walliams, Katanga, Gloomy wood.