• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Flat Rides: What would you like to see come to the park?

The whole park is an area for families, as has already been explained a few posts ago. When you have walked down to the bottom of X Sector or into Forbidden Valley with a family of varying ages, let me know how you got on.
Ye but there's no family rides in Valley and X sector because the areas are for thrill rides. The whole park isn't for families certain areas are. Can't have every area suitable for everyone. There's already more family rides than thrill

If we get a returning Ripsaw or anything added into FV, then I would say FV, with Nemesis back, is more or less I'd say complete.

Suprised no one has mentioned this but am I the one only one who'd like to see an Intamin Suspended Twin Hammer flat ride on the Submission site? Looks wise it would look good and design wise would be a nice call back to Submission and it is a rare model of ride that might be worth looking into it.

A new look Enterprise on the original site would be good but I honestly don't mind what goes there though.

Dark Forest however is a whole kettle of fish in which even if you were to get a flat ride or two in place, that area is just needing a total retheme from the ground up and no flat ride will improve that area IMO.

So yeah, I have really nothing else to say other than we need at least 3, maybe 4, new flat rides over the next five years to sort that situation out once and for all.

Ye but there's no family rides in Valley and X sector because the areas are for thrill rides. The whole park isn't for families certain areas are. Can't have every area suitable for everyone. There's already more family rides than thrill

This is clearly not true, Enterprise operated in X Sector with a 0.9mtr height restriction since Oblivion opened and Blade operated with the same restriction (until they raised it a few years ago, but it's still accessible for families) since Thunder Looper was removed.

The whole park is for families, certain attractions aren't. It would be insane to exclude families from huge sections of the park. Could you imagine walking an 8 year old down a steep hill and expect them to wait for 2 hours whilst you get a couple of coasters done? Or splitting the family up for most of the day because there are no go area's? Doesn't sound like a good day out does it?

This is clearly not true, Enterprise operated in X Sector with a 0.9mtr height restriction since Oblivion opened and Blade operated with the same restriction (until they raised it a few years ago, but it's still accessible for families) since Thunder Looper was removed.

The whole park is for families, certain attractions aren't. It would be insane to exclude families from huge sections of the park. Could you imagine walking an 8 year old down a steep hill and expect them to wait for 2 hours whilst you get a couple of coasters done? Or splitting the family up for most of the day because there are no go area's? Doesn't sound like a good day out does it?
Well I suppose this then depends on what we class as a family or thrill ride. Blade is a family ride I agree with that but Enterprise was surely classed as a thrill ride. The height restriction was more accommodating but can you imagine 5 year olds going on Enterprise. Maybe they did but it seemed like quite an extreme ride

Well I suppose this then depends on what we class as a family or thrill ride. Blade is a family ride I agree with that but Enterprise was surely classed as a thrill ride. The height restriction was more accommodating but can you imagine 5 year olds going on Enterprise. Maybe they did but it seemed like quite an extreme ride
Yes, my daughter rode it first when she was 3. It's not about what we class as thrilling, it's what the guests do. But 1.4 height restrictions everywhere eliminate that choice for the guest.

Last edited:
thrill
/θrɪl/
noun
1. a sudden feeling of excitement and pleasure.
"the thrill of jumping out of an aeroplane"

You can have a family thrill ride, the terms "family" and "thrill" aren't mutually exclusive. Mandrill Mayhem is definitely a thrilling coaster, by definition, but it also suitable for all ages.

Enterprise is an intense ride, but it's exciting and suitable for everyone who meets the height limit.

If you go back to Towers' "golden era", pretty much all of the "adult" lands had at least one ride suitable for all ages, or at least those who had outgrown the then Storybook Land. Ug Land had Ug Bugs (I spent way too many days on it, RIP).
Ye but there's no family rides in Valley and X sector because the areas are for thrill rides.
There aren't any family rides in those areas because they were all removed (flats), that's exactly what we're discussing here, whereas previously (in years gone by) there were.

The only area that you need to keep sacrosanct, and not have a wide mix, is CBeebies.

Take a look through some of the TowersStreet archives to see what other rides the areas had, aside from coasters, to see what we mean when we say that everything used to have (and still needs) a wide appeal for people of all ages. - https://www.towerstimes.co.uk/histo...1481464143093-ac536e71-353ccad5-251f060a-5161

Last edited:
I find the alluded to perception of there being "thrill area's" in the park by some younger members to be a sad commentary on current (partial) reality.

Go back to the 2000's, and X Sector and Forbidden Valley would have been described as thrill centric areas that were themed around the main thrill coaster within said area, but never exclusively "thrill area's".

Alton has become the most segregated park I've been to. A lot of parks are guilty of this in some areas. But the widespread separation of park areas into target age groups is quite depressing. This isn't just about lumping attractions with similar target audiences together, but also how dark some of the themes in these areas are, and the butchering of the 'whole family' attraction lineup like 80 Days/Toyland/Charlie, 4d cinema, Cine 2000, Log Flume etc. Staying on topic, many of the flats were also quite inclusive, with only Submission and Ripsaw being 1.4's (may be wrong)?

Any potential (I won't hold my breath) investment in new attractions should take this deficit into account.

Saw this just now, posted earlier today - coincidence, jumping on the rumour bandwagon to get people talking or hinting at a return in some form?

Towers Times do tend to know a bit more than the average enthusiast so there could be an element of truth here...but then again they were the ones starting/spreading the rumour (no doubt in good faith) of an announcement at 8pm on last day of the season so who knows!

1700144686185.png

I wouldn't read too much in to it. With the Retrosquad just having left the park and flat rides being on everyone's minds, it is an opportune time to post about the park's former flat rides.

Yes but you still need rides where kids can start going on things a bit "bigger" as a step up. Enterprise was the perfect ride for that. Like Corkscrew was your first upside down coaster. Not everyone wants their heads blown off on something that spins you round like a hamster on a wheel gone wrong. I'm not a massive fan of fairground rides but Ripsaw and Enterprise I would go on, even Submission although it was uncomfortable. Another good thing about Enterprise was that you weren't pinned down to a seat with bulky restraints

I think even as an adult visiting not everything has to be balls to the wall thrill either.

Places like X Sector would be much more enjoyable with something like a ride on Dynamo (RIP). to break up the day.

Although coasters are the main draw I find the commitment of queueing ages for a minute or two experience and then doing the same again and again kinda soulless.

Yes but you still need rides where kids can start going on things a bit "bigger" as a step up. Enterprise was the perfect ride for that. Like Corkscrew was your first upside down coaster. Not everyone wants their heads blown off on something that spins you round like a hamster on a wheel gone wrong. I'm not a massive fan of fairground rides but Ripsaw and Enterprise I would go on, even Submission although it was uncomfortable. Another good thing about Enterprise was that you weren't pinned down to a seat with bulky restraints
Enterprise, Ripsaw and Energizer were fantastic rides. Even Astro Dancer was great fun. I really miss the great flat rides this park had. I will always do a wave swinger when it’s available too!

Energizer remains my favourite, when it was in festival park it was ridiculously intense. Not sure Mondial make them anymore.

Enterprise, Ripsaw and Energizer were fantastic rides. Even Astro Dancer was great fun. I really miss the great flat rides this park had. I will always do a wave swinger when it’s available too!

Energizer remains my favourite, when it was in festival park it was ridiculously intense. Not sure Mondial make them anymore.
Energizer was by far my favourite flat too. I was too young / small to ride it when it was in festival park but rode it when it moved to X Sector and when it got rethemed to Boneshaker in Ug Land.

So much air time, so much stomach churning goodness, and lots of laughs albeit it was majorly tamed down when it got moved to Ug Land.

From: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WPXnTE1pNCA&pp=ygUWZW5lcmdpemVyIGFsdG9uIHRvd2Vycw%3D%3D

Energizer was by far my favourite flat too. I was too young / small to ride it when it was in festival park but rode it when it moved to X Sector and when it got rethemed to Boneshaker in Ug Land.

So much air time, so much stomach churning goodness, and lots of laughs albeit it was majorly tamed down when it got moved to Ug Land.

From: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WPXnTE1pNCA&pp=ygUWZW5lcmdpemVyIGFsdG9uIHRvd2Vycw%3D%3D

Remember doing it as Boneshaker but it'd lost it's mojo....Another great ride to watch as well when it was in full swing. Themed three times in total I believe? Now we can't even get one themed flat ride...

Remember doing it as Boneshaker but it'd lost it's mojo....Another great ride to watch as well when it was in full swing. Themed three times in total I believe? Now we can't even get one themed flat ride...
it was an all round crowd pleaser. Not sure if it was really themed when it was in Festival Park, but it was certainly made to look in keeping with X Sector and Ug Land.

Blade and Marauders are nicely themed, but yes let’s see what the park pulls out the bag in 2024/25/26.

it was an all round crowd pleaser. Not sure if it was really themed when it was in Festival Park, but it was certainly made to look in keeping with X Sector and Ug Land.

Blade and Marauders are nicely themed, but yes let’s see what the park pulls out the bag in 2024/25/26.
1700167495887.png

well… it sort of was but it was never obvious as to what exactly it was supposed to be.

1700167656230.png