• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Football Discussion

Is this a joke? England the 3rd best national team in the world?

I know FIFA are mostly a bunch of clueless idiots, but that just takes the piss. Whoever does these rankings needs sacking tbh.

It's not a joke no, if you look at the England results from 2011 and so far in 2012 we have only lost once (discounting penalties) - to the Netherlands in February and only by one goal.

And in the past 50 matches since 2008, we have only lost 7. People may ridicule England but they always forget that we win or draw almost all friendlies and only lose at the most crucial, and unfortunately memorable stages of tournaments.

Just got from probably the best game of football I'll ever see in my lifetime, Scunthorpe winning 7-6 on penalties after drawing 5-5 with Derby, despite being 5-3 down with a minute left.

Forget Liverpool v AC Milan 2005, forget Man City v QPR 2012, that was the greatest comeback in football history. The first game of the season and I already know that no game in any league or cup will top that 23 goal thriller...

388038_390249941029666_692276885_n.jpg

Nice win for Palace last night, and we now have Preston in the 2nd round of the Carling Capital One Cup. :)

Longy said:
What teams are left contesting the COC now then? ;)

It seems like a good competition so far!

Full draw:

Norwich v Scunthorpe

Preston v Crystal Palace

Watford v Bradford

Swansea v Barnsley

Yeovil v West Brom

Coventry v Birmingham

West Ham v Crewe

Doncaster v Hull

Carlisle v Ipswich

Reading v Peterborough

Sheffield Wednesday v Fulham

Leicester v Burton

Burnley v Plymouth

QPR v Walsall

Stevenage v Southampton

Nottingham Forest v Wigan

Stoke v Swindon

Aston Villa v Tranmere

Crawley v Bolton

Gillingham v Middlesbrough

Northampton v Wolves

Everton v Leyton Orient

MK Dons v Blackburn

Leeds v Oxford

Sunderland v Morecambe

SLC said:
Just saw that Fabrice Muamba has had to retire from football. Very sad news at such an early point in hi playing career.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/bolt ... 57091.html

We knew it was coming, especially since he can still only last 20 minutes now. I didn't expect him to return anyway, I'm just hoping he's the Robbie Blake-type where he motivates the team. And still works with the club. I think he'll continue his degree though but nonetheless I wish him the greatest. Crawley could be our first win of the season too!

What a lying, ungrateful, money grabber RVP is. Arsenal have stood by him for so long with him constantly being injured and not playing at his best then he has one good, injury free season and then how does he repay them? He sods off to get more money. I hate how football nowadays is full of mercenaries like him who don't understand things like loyalty and commitment.

Adz95 said:
What a lying, ungrateful, money grabber RVP is. Arsenal have stood by him for so long with him constantly being injured and not playing at his best then he has one good, injury free season and then how does he repay them? He sods off to get more money. I hate how football nowadays is full of mercenaries like him who don't understand things like loyalty and commitment.

I don't understand why people take this stance? Primarily, if I were him I'd have been looking for a way out well before now. The objective of football, and the ultimate goal of all players is to win trophies - and Arsenal haven't won anything for 7 years and don't look like winning anything in the near future. They are a dire club who lose their best players every season, fast becoming a Spurs replica and becoming the creators of their own downfall. People may harp on about them gaining CL football every season but that's irrelevant - no one cares about that and no one will remember that.

Secondarily, if I'd been in a job for 8 years and was suddenly offered the chance at another job at a rival firm for significantly more money - I'd take it without any hesitation. Who wouldn't want a larger salary every month?

The Psychoaster said:
Adz95 said:
If I'd been in a job for 8 years and was suddenly offered the chance at another job at a rival firm for significantly more money - I'd take it without any hesitation. Who wouldn't want a larger salary every month?

But that's different, I've no idea what job you do, but I doubt you've ever had 54,000 people spend their own money to cheer you on, being a professional footballer is unlike being a professional in any other sport, you owe it those fans, fans are by far the most important thing in any football club, and if those fans spend years supporting you through your worst years, and cheering you on when you finally get a break and make it onto the world stage, you DO NOT abandon them in the name of money and personal glory unless you are a truly heartless and money grabbing tit. I honestly regard RVP as a total C word now he's done this to the AFC fans, and I'm not going to deny it. Once fans sing your name and make banners, then what you want comes second to the passionate loyalty you should feel to that club and more importantly it's fans that call you their hero.

Take Alan Shearer, he was never likely going to win the league with Newcastle but he stayed faithful to the fans and became one of the clubs greatest ever players. Shearer is more widely remembered for his trophy-less time at SJP than for winning the title for Blackburn. RVP could've been up their with the likes of Tony Adams and Dennis Bergkamp in Arsenal's history if he had any sense of respect, yet threw it all away chasing money and personal glory like a common mercenary. He was on £80,000 a week. You have to be pathetically greedy to want any more than that. Sadly, it seems the likes of Rupert Murdoch and Roman Abramovich have corrupted the once beautiful game by turning into a game of greed and money.

I bet the likes of Shankly and Clough, people who knew what football was about, must be turning in their graves at what football is becoming now...

Adz95 said:
The Psychoaster said:
Adz95 said:
If I'd been in a job for 8 years and was suddenly offered the chance at another job at a rival firm for significantly more money - I'd take it without any hesitation. Who wouldn't want a larger salary every month?

But that's different, I've no idea what job you do, but I doubt you've ever had 54,000 people spend their own money to cheer you on, being a professional footballer is unlike being a professional in any other sport, you owe it those fans, fans are by far the most important thing in any football club, and if those fans spend years supporting you through your worst years, and cheering you on when you finally get a break and make it onto the world stage, you DO NOT abandon them in the name of money and personal glory unless you are a truly heartless and money grabbing tit. I honestly regard RVP as a total C word now he's done this to the AFC fans, and I'm not going to deny it. Once fans sing your name and make banners, then what you want comes second to the passionate loyalty you should feel to that club and more importantly it's fans that call you their hero.

Take Alan Shearer, he was never likely going to win the league with Newcastle but he stayed faithful to the fans and became one of the clubs greatest ever players. Shearer is more widely remembered for his trophy-less time at SJP than for winning the title for Blackburn. RVP could've been up their with the likes of Tony Adams and Dennis Bergkamp in Arsenal's history if he had any sense of respect, yet threw it all away chasing money and personal glory like a common mercenary. He was on £80,000 a week. You have to be pathetically greedy to want any more than that. Sadly, it seems the likes of Rupert Murdoch and Roman Abramovich have corrupted the once beautiful game by turning into a game of greed and money.

I bet the likes of Shankly and Clough, people who knew what football was about, must be turning in their graves at what football is becoming now...

It's down to his own talent and dedication that he is where he is now. Granted the fans have remained loyal to him and supported him throughout his time however he is his own man, and he is in a job where his talents can be of more use elsewhere.

If you've ever been in the non-league or supported a non-league club then you will realise this. Players come and go all the time, even those that have been at a club for a long time if there is the promise of higher pay elsewhere. The fans just accept it, it's a natural part of the game and it's a natural thing for someone to want to earn more money and have a better shot at winning something.

RVP is 29, he doesn't have too much time left at the top level. He will undoubtedly have a better chance at winning something at United than at Arsenal. In his case, you can empathise with his conclusion that personal glory has to come above loyalty to the club. He has been loyal for long enough.

For the record... Shearer was a Geordie after all. He already had loyalty to the club.

The Psychoaster said:
Adz95 said:
The Psychoaster said:
Adz95 said:

If you've ever been in the non-league or supported a non-league club then you will realise this. Players come and go all the time, even those that have been at a club for a long time if there is the promise of higher pay elsewhere. The fans just accept it, it's a natural part of the game and it's a natural thing for someone to want to earn more money and have a better shot at winning something.

Mate, I play for a non league club. I'd never dream of leaving. I'm 17 but still aim to be playing as there when I'm 37, because I'm loyal and more than happy where I am. I don't want to bench warm a decent 5th division club, which is probably what'd happen had I actually went for money, (even though I'd earn more and be happier playing Sunday league where am I now and having a well paid fulltime job.)

Besides, Arsenal aren't a non league club. They are one of the biggest clubs in the world. Anyone who isn't happy captaining a club like Arsenal needs a reality check. They have one of the greatest jobs in the world, and had the chance to repay those loyal fans by becoming a legend and leading the club to glory, yet instead just abandoned them.

Adz95 said:
The Psychoaster said:
Adz95 said:
The Psychoaster said:
Adz95 said:

Mate, I play for a non league club. I'd never dream of leaving. I'm 17 but still aim to be playing as there when I'm 37, because I'm loyal and more than happy where I am. I don't want to bench warm a decent 5th division club, which is probably what'd happen had I actually went for money, (even though I'd earn more and be happier playing Sunday league where am I now and having a well paid fulltime job.)

Besides, Arsenal aren't a non league club. They are one of the biggest clubs in the world. Anyone who isn't happy captaining a club like Arsenal needs a reality check. They have one of the greatest jobs in the world, and had the chance to repay those loyal fans by becoming a legend and leading the club to glory, yet instead just abandoned them.

You could seriously play in the Conference if you wanted? I think you're crazy not to be going there if that is the case - the salaries at semi-pro are great, I know many players that wouldn't even hesitate to be playing at that level.