• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Football Discussion

Thought this was the most appropriate place to discuss this.

I was looking to watch the Chelsea-Villa match this evening, it’s an FA cup match so figured somebody must be broadcasting it, right? Well, not in the UK - unless you are willing to sign up for a Bet365 account and put money on it.

Now I’m sorry but how are the FA willing to allow this? The 3pm Saturday blackout is one thing, but forcing people who want to watch to sign up for a betting account and put money on it is quite another; especially when people who have gambling addictions and other reasons that prevent them from being able to engage with such companies might want to watch but aren’t able to. I would actually rather it wasn’t broadcast at all in the UK instead.

Incredibly poor decision making from the FA there in my opinion.

I was looking to watch the Chelsea-Villa match this evening, it’s an FA cup match so figured somebody must be broadcasting it, right? Well, not in the UK - unless you are willing to sign up for a Bet365 account and put money on it.

Now I’m sorry but how are the FA willing to allow this? The 3pm Saturday blackout is one thing, but forcing people who want to watch to sign up for a betting account and put money on it is quite another; especially when people who have gambling addictions and other reasons that prevent them from being able to engage with such companies might want to watch but aren’t able to. I would actually rather it wasn’t broadcast at all in the UK instead.

Have to completely agree on this and would go further. I find it frankly ludicrous that children who watch football are shown gambling advertisements on the shirts, on the competition name, on the stadium name (looking at you Stoke), on the pitch side boards, on the TV ad break and on the site they are watching the match on. Not only does this normalise gambling for them when they are legally allowed to, it encourages them to gamble under age. 55,000 children in the UK are considered 'problem gamblers' by the gambling commission. Unsurprisingly, when a petition went round football clubs to ban gambling advertisements, only two professional clubs (of 92) agreed to sign it.

The Brighton manager?

They wonder why so many now illegal stream games

The stupidest thing is Chelsea vs Villa seemed like one of the ties of the round yet it wasn't TV.

Same with the League Cup when they'd screen one game each night out of all the ties in the UK, whilst in other countries people could watch all the ties.

As it stands every match in the top six tiers of English football is available outside the UK but domestically you can usually only get the midweeks and a few TV selections (Unlikely in League 1, 2, National North or South)

Depends what is termed as "tie of the round".

Personally all PL ties in the FA Cup, particularly in rounds 3 & 4 are just boring. Does depend on the teams in question but it's more that those games are always on TV anyway (Arsenal vs Liverpool is on again in a few weeks for example).

Only 6 games (technically 7 were as Bournemouth vs Swansea was on S4C on Thursday) are chosen for television. Looking at the games and reasons:

Spurs/Citeh - Was always going to be shown.
Ipswich/Maidstone - Proper FA Cup tie
Fulham/Newcastle - Dull uninspiring choice but have to appease the Saudis I guess
West Brom/Wolves - Lucky one given Wolves was a replay, but Black Country derby always good entertainment
Liverpool/Norwich - Liverpool.
Newport/Man Utd - Man Utd. Though at least this is a proper FA Cup tie too.

It's a combination really. Between TV deals and then ensuring the grounds aren't left empty and sterile atmospheres up and down the country its hard to balance it all. Though the FA have constantly shown contempt for fans at most stages anyway so it's no surprise.

Also I believe Chelsea/Villa couldn't be played tomorrow down to Fulham also being at home. So police decisions also get considered and affect things.

End of the day it'll be a constant argument unless the blackout gets removed or someone decides that every single game will be televised. But that would 100% affect attendances, so would it be worthwhile?

Huge congratulations to Maidstone. People say the magic of the cup has died. It hasn't, for me. The magic of the cup was always over blown.

Since klopps announcement. I've heard so many pundits (shit ones like Robbie savage) asking "is he the greatest?" Then going into a rage because people say "yes" what's he won? Hasn't won as much as, so he can't be!!!!! Wah wah wah.

Its a stupid question to fill dead football call in shows air time. 606 is full of that at the best of times. what savage et Al don't understand is klopp was something more than a manager of a football club. He was a cultural icon that brought positivity and personality to his work. Ok he could moan about small things and FSG may not have backed him in the way he liked. But he always gave more than was needed to his role, on and off the field. The face of the club. Certainly me generations Bill Shankly.

What I will say, that's not being discussed. At least he has bottle to come and say "I'm tired, I've had enough." That could be aimed at FSG (another sponsor pleasing summer tour to mars or somewhere, that he hates doing and a cut to spending again.) Plus the sheer demand of managing a big club in England. Wenger said it after, couldn't admit during his time. Fair play to him

My prediction. He will be German manager this time next year.

I will miss that man.

One of the things I like most about Klopp is that he really 'got' Liverpool FC, and understood the history and context of the club. Plus there's also the fact he's gone on record as an LGBTQ+ ally.

He's just a decent fella and communicator. Which is rare In football. Like you say, he got the city and the supporters. Even more rare

Granted, I bet behind closed doors he can be feisty. I bet FSG have had some stern lectures in the past.

Huge congratulations to Maidstone. People say the magic of the cup has died. It hasn't, for me. The magic of the cup was always over blown.
If Sheff Wed win our replay against Coventry we'll be playing Maidstone in the next round. To be honest I'd much rather we focused on the league. We equalised against Coventry to force a replay (1-1) but why we couldn't do that a week earlier in the league (2-1 Cov) I don't know.