• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Football Discussion

Kane and Southgate have been like a weight around England's neck for a few tournaments now. It's just drudgery. If they appoint that U21 manager for 'continuity' and keeping a happy camp I won't even bother watching again. Get a proper modern manager in who's done it at a high level.

There's a good team here, held down by crap tactics. Kane for example would be great as a starting 10, not a 9.

Kane and Southgate have been like a weight around England's neck for a few tournaments now. It's just drudgery. If they appoint that U21 manager for 'continuity' and keeping a happy camp I won't even bother watching again. Get a proper modern manager in who's done it at a high level.
Didn't they do that with Capello and Hodgson which brought about three absolutely abysmal tournaments performance wise. Then the best/only man for the job was Sam Allardyce.

You have to try something else when what we've been doing for the last 8 years clearly wasn't good enough. At least try with a proven manager. Southgate never achieved anything outside joke youth football. Had no right to be given the job in the first place. Almost any coach in the Prem or Champo would give us a better chance and be more deserving of the job.

The game changed when Watkins came on.
I think the best thing going forward is for Kane to retire. For all he’s done for us he’s now holding this team back. The best way we play is without him.

I agree and I don't.

If domestic football teaches us anything is that he can bang in a load of goals. At spurs and Munich he has players that will run off him and attack. Either score themselves or can lay back for him to slot in. All fine. When he has players around him to do the work he is a very good old fashioned number 10. Hold up, lay off and he has an ability to pick a pass. I've seen this at anfield ( when VVD lets him out of his pocket for a second.)

But........ The 2 major issue's he has had in this tournament . Are Gareth Southgate tactics. It's too defensive. Bellingham, Foden and Saka are to busy creating a formation to able to burst forward. His strengths are muted. Because he isn't a spin and run into a space type of player. Watkins should have started, given the Spanish lads something to think about.

The second second issue is, this is where I agree with you. He's the England captain. Which gives you such a advantage in everything and it also boosts the ego. Managers seem to be unable to tell him "ya on the bench." Personally, I think the reason is, he moaning bellend that will kick up a fuss if this happens. I've seen him picked when clearly unfit (2019 champions league final. He was so far in VVD and matips shade he got hyperthermia) and when players around him are in better form and can contribute better (Watkins). The press don't help by making him this god like player that we can't be without. Rooney and Neville calling him greatest OF ALL TIME.

A similar thing happened with shearer. The difference between Kane and shearer is at least Alan would put a bit heart and sole in. Kane always has a face of someone who mutters to himself at night "I've would have won everything, but everyone else is stupid." Whilst dribbling down his chin again.

I agree and I don't.

If domestic football teaches us anything is that he can bang in a load of goals. At spurs and Munich he has players that will run off him and attack. Either score themselves or can lay back for him to slot in. All fine. When he has players around him to do the work he is a very good old fashioned number 10. Hold up, lay off and he has an ability to pick a pass. I've seen this at anfield ( when VVD lets him out of his pocket for a second.)

But........ The 2 major issue's he has had in this tournament . Are Gareth Southgate tactics. It's too defensive. Bellingham, Foden and Saka are to busy creating a formation to able to burst forward. His strengths are muted. Because he isn't a spin and run into a space type of player. Watkins should have started, given the Spanish lads something to think about.

The second second issue is, this is where I agree with you. He's the England captain. Which gives you such a advantage in everything and it also boosts the ego. Managers seem to be unable to tell him "ya on the bench." Personally, I think the reason is, he moaning bellend that will kick up a fuss if this happens. I've seen him picked when clearly unfit (2019 champions league final. He was so far in VVD and matips shade he got hyperthermia) and when players around him are in better form and can contribute better (Watkins). The press don't help by making him this god like player that we can't be without. Rooney and Neville calling him greatest OF ALL TIME.

A similar thing happened with shearer. The difference between Kane and shearer is at least Alan would put a bit heart and sole in. Kane always has a face of someone who mutters to himself at night "I've would have won everything, but everyone else is stupid." Whilst dribbling down his chin again.

Having had time to reflect these defeat I think this LinkedIn post actually summarises how I feel perfectly.

IMG_0758.jpeg

You have to try something else when what we've been doing for the last 8 years clearly wasn't good enough. At least try with a proven manager. Southgate never achieved anything outside joke youth football. Had no right to be given the job in the first place. Almost any coach in the Prem or Champo would give us a better chance and be more deserving of the job.

I'm not sure, international football is a far different role compared to club football. You have to work with what you've got available, you can't just buy in players to replace the weak areas, you don't get to spend hours on the training ground perfecting your tactics.

Quite a few club managers have failed at international level, and vice versa.

Overall, the first half was great as a performance. They just didn't come out for the second half, or the Spanish altered things slightly and suddenly chasing the game.

In terms of Kane, playing a number 10 behind him just doesn't work. Same with having someone who cuts into that position. How many times were Foden, Bellingham and Kane all in each other's way throughout? Is little wonder than none of them particularly performed over the tournament. Had so many players in the squad who's best role is as a 10 (Palmer and Eze) yet only one natural left back? The squad was incredibly unbalanced and it often showed.

Southgate's game management is often poor, plus the "must not lose" mindset leads to some dreadful games. But he's been the most successful England manager in years. Football isn't logical.

Only about 6 years too late and leaving a trail of wasted tournament chances behind him. Playing rubbish football. But, that's just my opinion :) 👍
Personally I think he should have gone after the Euro 2020 final, but I understand why he was given another shot with the 2022 World Cup. He absolutely should have gone after that though.

We were rubbish throughout Euro 2024 and fluked an easy draw to the final.

Tuchel in and we'll have the WC and Euros in the bag by 2028. Potter in and we'll continue to bottle, unfortunately. Another mediocre serial loser.

Tuchel in and we'll have the WC and Euros in the bag by 2028. Potter in and we'll continue to bottle, unfortunately. Another mediocre serial loser.

I totally agree - just seems Potter is the early favourite. Can’t believe Lampard and Gerrard are being mentioned.

Eddie Howe would be my first choice. If we go foreign (which I'm not a big fan of) then I'd probably want Klopp out of the ones mentioned in the media.

Whomever it is. They need to do one little task. Win the nations league.

I know it's the LDV vans trophy of international tournaments. But at least you are playing and beating the bigger nations. When it comes to proper tournaments, the coach can go " you can do that, go and do it again." Every top coach knows that 1 trophy can be a catalyst. Let's be honest, when it comes to winning things it's 58 years of hurt. Get the monkey off the back.

I doubt klopp would take it. I have been wrong before. Would the FA want someone who will stand up to them. I think not. Another yes boy. I just who ever it is, can just utilities the talent he has and isn't afraid to bruise a few egos

Totally agree with the above. In fairness to surpass Gareth we have to win one of the major trophies. The Nations league is a good statt

Potter would be a disaster. There's big names in the England squad and he has proven he can't manage big players.

Howe has a lucrative job at Newcastle, why would he leave?

Gerrard/Lampard have done nothing.

Klopp is on sabbatical, he already cancelled it once and I doubt he'd cancel it again unless he's allowed to start in January 2026 or something.