• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Football Discussion

What a performance from Bradford, they fully deserved the win and I really hope they can hold on at Villa Park to earn a place at Wembley as they really do deserve it after their cup heroics this season. Villa are poor though, very very poor. They need to get some experience and fast, especially in defence.

:)

Rob said:
What a performance from Bradford, they fully deserved the win and I really hope they can hold on at Villa Park to earn a place at Wembley as they really do deserve it after their cup heroics this season. Villa are poor though, very very poor. They need to get some experience and fast, especially in defence.

:)

You only say that because you hate me Rob ;D

You are so right though, our defense is awful! We need a leader, a general on the pitch, to marshal our undoubtedly talented youngsters - which they are. There are 2 worse teams than us in the league, and between 2 and 4 that are struggling, and can be dragged in if they aren't clever and proactive.

Unbelievable night! Shouted myself hoarse! That's 3 Premier League scalps we have taken this year... Villa still the favourites, but supporting Bradford I never in my wildest dreams envisaged them doing this, but the journey so far this season has been incredible, especially after the last decade or so City have had.

I was too young to properly appreciate the journey up to the brief Premier League seasons Bradford enjoyed; most of my memories from following this football club are of misery, administration and relegation. A cup run to remember, and finally something some happy memories myself and my generation of City fans can tell there Grandchildren about!

Congratulations TTWAL! (Great name too by the way).

20 odd thousand for a League 2 side - that is exceptional, and your team played fantastically well.

We were not at our best, but don't let that take anything away. We played our strongest team available, which was pretty much the side that drew with Swansea, and beat Ipswich Town.

That team has beaten Man City, Norwich, Liverpool too. Well not the exact team, but that's injuries, not choosing a lesser team.

Lambert wanted that win, and went for it. To come away 3-1 winners was not entirely fair on all our chances, but your keeper was outstanding! To take that win, in one leg of this tie, with all our chances could be called a fluke or one those cup nights.

Not however, when you took out Wigan who beat us recently, and have some excellent players, and (from what I have read) a very strong Arsenal team!!

Of course, I hope we take you out at Villa Park - but I cannot see how there can be anything (and have not seen anything) other than mutual respect ultimately from both clubs.

I have not read one single Villa fan, who have said anything other than - yes we were crap in defence, but well done to Bradford City.

How will you cope with actually having something to lose though? Now the Villa don't have anything to lose, and when that pressure has been taken off our shoulders like in other big matches (Man City for example) - boy oh boy, do our lot take teams to pieces.

I just hope for a great second leg, I remember first hand, Tranmere doing this to us, then taking them back to Villa Park for what is arguably one of the best games ever to grace our famous turf!

If it is anything like that, we are all in for one heck of a game!

Of course, that was the year we won it last too! ;D

Don't rule out a signing or two being made before then either!

Regardless, well done Bradford City and their incredible support, passion, and determination - you cannot do anything but hold your hands up with respect for that, irrespective of the result.

Well played, bring on the second half! ;D

Thank you!
I think if Bradford still owned there stadium the fan base would be enough to perhaps take them out of the basement league, our weekly attendances are still around 9,000 a week, which is the lowest its been since I have watched them; which is understandable considering Bradford's position, but that's still a large attendance for a league one team, never mind league 2.

I have to say, Villa fans have been great! There is a mutual respect there, we know Villa have the class to hammer us on their day, and any comment that says otherwise from a Bantam fan is being very tongue in cheek! Occasions like this don't come along often for Bradford, and the Villa fans have taken nothing away from Bradford, and let us fans have our moment despite both sets of fans knowing, despite how well Bradford played, Villa had numerous very good chances, and you can see there is a gulf in quality there which must be frustrating to watch!

Looking forward to the second leg! I think Villa have more than enough to get through, there is so much young talent there and you have great manager who I am sure will get the team playing consistently well. If Villa convert half of the chances they created at Valley Parade, they are safely through. I fear that Bradford might sit back and invite more too much pressure now they are protecting something; however as a fan I still feel there's nothing to lose, id love a day out at Wembley but for a league two side to make it this far, we have proud memories and perhaps more of a future for the club, as it will benefit from the precious money this run has brought the club!

It's strange really but even this quote I have to disagree with lol!

Tap the world and listen said:
Occasions like this don't come along often for Bradford, and the Villa fans have taken nothing away from Bradford, and let us fans have our moment despite both sets of fans knowing, despite how well Bradford played, Villa had numerous very good chances, and you can see there is a gulf in quality there which must be frustrating to watch!

Only in the sense, that yes we had chances that's true, but your goalie was outstanding and your midfield carved through ours with ease! I think on balance you deserved the win, 3-1? Maybe not - I think you were lucky there in some ways, but that spirit and attitude of your players was great to see!

I hope we win of course, but mark my words, many a Villa fan will be cheering the Bantams on should they win. I certainly will. You don't beat all those teams by accident. One? Maybe, but not three.

I think there are times, and Dean Saunders said this, when a manager is almost playing for the wrong division - your manager had his team set up to play a Premier League team.

I am really looking forward to the return fixture! I hope we do it, I really do but you know what - I'm not remotely convinced we will unless we buy in, or get some of our crocked players back (we have a fair few out that's for sure).

Your fans seem brilliant, I hope regardless of this next result that you do well in the league this year - your manager was extremely respectful, as were your players, and he reminds me quite a lot of Lambert!

I have a few mates, a couple quite close to the Villa, it was filtering down that Lambert was absolutely furious and embarrassed by what happened, and has come out publicly since with criticism of the performance... which is very, very rare from Lambert with young players!

Going to be interesting, that's for sure!

Good luck :) may the best team on the day win!

It's also very nice to be able to have such a friendly chat with an opposition team fan! Another testament to the great respect between the teams and fans. What a lovely change :)

I think it's been one of those days for stoke today. Two own goals and a missed penalty for Jonathan Walters.

josht said:
I think it's been one of those days for stoke today. Two own goals and a missed penalty for Jonathan Walters.

He scored the most goals in that match

hobohippie95 said:
josht said:

He scored the most goals in that match
He's doing better than Torres, but we should be alright this season

TheMan said:
Bet Roman is annoyed at that!

I knew he wouldn't go to Chelski/Man City/P$G, his mentality and vision of the game would not work at a club that just tries to buy trophies. Brilliant news for Bayern though!

Adam said:
TheMan said:
Bet Roman is annoyed at that!

I knew he wouldn't go to Chelski/Man City/P$G, his mentality and vision of the game would not work at a club that just tries to buy trophies. Brilliant news for Bayern though!

His ability to stand on his own merit has been questioned by many. Can he do it without the intimate knowledge of the academy, without astronomical funding etc.

This is the move of man seeking to gain knowledge and experience of the game all round. A stable club, with great history, but minus the great riches of the oligarch fueled (excuse the pun) clubs.

Fair play to Pep on this one, and well done Bayern. I hope they do well together as it will prove his doubters wrong... or right of course!

Reading that article it isn't quite clear what Rodger's point is. It could be that "Diving is unacceptable & I'm punishing Suarez for it" or it could be "Admission of diving is unacceptable and I'm punishing Suarez for it as it damages our image and makes it less likely that decisions will go our way".

The former option would of course be entirely commendable but the latter sounds incredibly self-entitled. The way the article is worded seems to lean towards the latter, but the interview itself seems a little more ambiguous

Can't stand Suarez but using the phrase "invented a foul" rather than just saying he dived is pretty hilarious.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21079956

I take back every time I've ever called a person in football an idiot. Sacking one of the best managers in England, who took you from 22nd in League 1 to 15th in the prem in just over two seasons, for no reasonable reason at all? Unbelievable.::)

Nicola Cortese is the biggest idiot I've ever seen in football, even Abromovich wouldn't make a sacking this pathetic FFS! I hope that clown Cortese ends up going bankrupt. Why have the FA done nothing to stop stupid idiots like him from buying into football clubs? The man knows nothing about Southampton FC, their fans or their traditions. If only we could kick idiotic foreign chairman/owners out of football!

(Rage Over)