• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Great Yarmouth Pleasure Beach: General Discussion

Is this essentially an SBF Air Race? Even though I wasn't personally a fan of Air Race at Drayton Manor, the ride type is very popular, so this should be a good addition!

I just can't see GYPB getting a first of it's kind in the world - so new that they have to rely on an artists impression image because there's no actual photo of a version of the ride!

@Matt N the ride car does look like that but if it was a Zamperla Air Race they'd just use a photo of one of them! Very intriguing!

I just can't see GYPB getting a first of it's kind in the world - so new that they have to rely on an artists impression image because there's no actual photo of a version of the ride!
I wouldn't look too much into it being a world first. These sorts of rides are often developed by manufacturers without R&D support from a specific park - therefore without a customer in mind for the first unit.

The 'Visa' marking on the wing of the plane would suggest the artwork has come from the manufacturer. It would be strange for the park to commission artwork to include the manufacturer's name.

Mulan is a loss, that's for sure - but this will be fun.

I went back to Yarmouth a couple years ago after not going since I was a teenager, and I was struck by just how small the place is. As a kid everything looks way bigger, but going back as an adult it was so much narrower than I remember. There really isn't a lot to do there anymore. To be honest the place started going downhill when they removed the Chance toboggan and then the Moser(?) Top Spin; Terminator!

Mulan was also crazy fun, I remember going on with my dad and getting crushed because we sat the wrong way round in the car :p

1966 poster

TheCarousel_GYPleasureBeach_Advert1966.jpg

TV alert: This Friday (17th April) at 8pm on Channel 5 is a programme called Walking Britain’s Lost Railways.

https://www.channel5.com/show/walking-britains-lost-railways/

This episode ends at Great Yarmouth where they’re going to be visiting Great Yarmouth Pleasure Beach. For those who haven’t seen it, it’s a more interesting TV show that you might imagine. They go along the lost railway telling you about its history and stopping off at a few points of historic interest along the way.

Ugh what a dump Yarmouth looks in that photo, Sherringham however, beautiful town with a fantastic train station to watch classic steam engines.

Ugh what a dump Yarmouth looks in that photo, Sherringham however, beautiful town with a fantastic train station to watch classic steam engines.

:eek:

Jess and I have had many lovely days out at Great Yarmouth, it's our regular seaside resort, visiting it several times a year. One positive thing that we love about Great Yarmouth, it is very much wheelchair friendly as well as a lot to do and see.

I do agree, Sherringham is great to visit, especially when they are running the steam engines :)

It's also worth noting the stretch of beach behind the pleasure beach has always been a bit of a mess. It's the point were it goes back from sand to dunes. Britania pier is the nicer part.
I remember whenever I rode the roller coaster noticing that the back (which from the ground can only be seen from outside the park) always looked a state. Even when the front was freshly painted.
Still Great Yarmouth has never been picturesque. It's a more compact version of Blackpool, and once you go beyond the pleasure beach the rest of the town is quite industrial.

Great Yarmouth is a bit of a dive to be fair and attracts some interesting people. However there is quite a bit to do and I do enjoy going every now and again. I also had some great holidays there as a kid and love to ride the snails, tubs and Roller Coaster as an adult haha. I can do a day trip but then happy to leave but I do have a soft spot for it.

It's also worth noting the stretch of beach behind the pleasure beach has always been a bit of a mess. It's the point were it goes back from sand to dunes. Britania pier is the nicer part.
I remember whenever I rode the roller coaster noticing that the back (which from the ground can only be seen from outside the park) always looked a state. Even when the front was freshly painted.
Still Great Yarmouth has never been picturesque. It's a more compact version of Blackpool, and once you go beyond the pleasure beach the rest of the town is quite industrial.

In any town, will always have a run down area. If you go beyond the pleasure beach, then yes, you will hit the industrial area and docks. In-between the two piers is where the beach is kept nice and dogs are banned during the summer months.

As much as I love Blackpool and think it's is bigger and has better attractions, I always feel Yarmouth is kept a lot more cleaner than Blackpool. Even Blackpool has it rough and industrial areas.

Great Yarmouth is a bit of a dive to be fair and attracts some interesting people. However there is quite a bit to do and I do enjoy going every now and again. I also had some great holidays there as a kid and love to ride the snails, tubs and Roller Coaster as an adult haha. I can do a day trip but then happy to leave but I do have a soft spot for it.

I love the snails (and tubs) and have fond memories from my childhood riding them. Before Covid-19, I would visit Yarmouth weekly during the summer. There is lots of little gems to be found and they are all free if you know where to find them, Britania column, Fireworks nights, East Coast Pirates meets, The water gardens (recently been revamp and restored), there are parks where we hand feed the pigeons and squirrels (probably won't be allowed to do that anymore since the Covid-19). We know where the best and cheap places to buy fish and chips, ice creams and donuts, we can spend a whole day there from 9am to 10pm during the summer months and not spend a fortune, filling the day up with doing free/cheap stuff (or we are pass holders to some of the attractions), like I say, we manage to do this weekly and never get board.

Also worth noting that my first date with Jess was a trip to Great Yarmouth, (as well as I've spent many years there as a kit), so Yarmouth has a special place in our hearts and has a special meaning for us.

The Norfolk coast from Hunstanton to Cromer is a nice drive and some lovely places, we usually have a nice coastal drive one a year with our soft top down, however we are restricted and limited with Jess being wheelchair bound, so a lot of these lovely little villages around the drive are not suitable for Jess to get out and about as many of the shops are too small and don't have level access.

To avoide confusion I think Great Yarmouth is better than Blackpool. It compacts the same content into a much nicer mile of beach. Blackpool has better attractions but I'd always pick gt. Yarmouth for the classic seaside experience.
My comparison to Blackpool is only because they are both in the same style. Some seaside towns feel remote and picturesque, a few of which were shown in the above video. But that's not what gt. Yarmouth is.

I prefer Blackpool over Yarmouth. Yarmouth doesnt have trams. Nor a tower, or a hyper coaster.

Some seaside towns feel remote and picturesque, a few of which were shown in the above video. But that's not what gt. Yarmouth is.

You can't compare Blackpool and Gt Yarmouth with remote picturesque seaside towns. Both Blackpool and Great Yarmouth are completely man made. They didn't exist a few centuries ago. Back during the Roman times, Gt Yarmouth land was under water and in later years when the sea receded, the land was very much marsh land. Some of the surrounding area today is still marsh land.

I prefer Blackpool over Yarmouth. Yarmouth doesnt have trams. Nor a tower, or a hyper coaster.

Fully agree, and don't forget the illuminations too. Blackpool is the Last Vegas of Great Britain. If I lived bang in the middle of the two resorts, I would choose Blackpool over Yarmouth, but Yarmouth is only an hour drive for me, so Yarmouth is our day visit choice, where as Blackpool is our week away vacation choice :)

I prefer different aspects of both. Yarmouth has a bit more of a 'classic' seaside feel to it, similar to Southport in some ways.

I think Blackpool suffers from having so much coastline, they struggle to keep it all looking in good shape. The 'new promenade' is functional, but it is pretty bland - same has happened at Rhyl.

My favourite place to be beside the seaside is Llandudno. It has everything, bar an amusement park and I'm ok with that.

:eek:

Jess and I have had many lovely days out at Great Yarmouth, it's our regular seaside resort, visiting it several times a year. One positive thing that we love about Great Yarmouth, it is very much wheelchair friendly as well as a lot to do and see.

I do agree, Sherringham is great to visit, especially when they are running the steam engines :)

I suppose because I live there I see it in a different light to people who visit.

Like Blackpool, go deeper into the town and it gets pretty rough, both in people and sights.