• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Hex: The Future

I guess it's proof that sometimes rumours are sometimes (not always obviously) true. The rumour back in 2022 was the slew bearings kept breaking and were being repaired on a bodge job without Vekoma, and it sounds like the video today confirms that. Vekoma obviously have been working on it, but if they had been back in 2022 when it was experiencing issues, it would've probably been resolved long before now.

It was never rumoured they where fixed on a bodge job, pretty sure the replacement parts came from Vekoma but something unique was going on.

They said they haven’t replaced the speakers.

But Ohm speakers are of a similar quality to Bose. They just need setting up properly.
I just checked as I thought they said something about replacing them, they say "we have reused some of the existing audio loudspeakers in here before, but again completly changed the audio processing system" arround the 4 minute mark. so worse case they have probably replaced speakers where required

English Heritage - "You can't have a water spray machine on the ceiling"

Alton Towers - "OK"

Hex.jpg

I don't think I'm entirely sold on the lighting changes - and I think the best way to describe it is that I am a Hex superfan, I have visited the park just for repeat rides on Hex, I have spent hours and hours in the armoury, and I also have a real interest in lighting...and I couldn't really describe the original lighting in that space to you.

I could paint you a detailed, intricate picture of the atmosphere and overall feel of it. But the lighting, the sounds, how it all worked together, it was masterfully and subtlety done. The way the lighting throughout Hex throbbed, flickered and faded made everything feel entirely diegetic. You felt like it was all lit by generator-powered work lights.

It does appear to have lost that somewhat.

The big spark effect also feels like a downgrade - it used to feel like unless you were looking for it, it was something that happened in the corner of your eye. It felt spooky, unnerving. Now it's like the generator is being launched as a new exciting product at a trade fair.

I hope there's some time to reassess and see the value in subtlety. "Theatrical" was a word brought up in the video. Can we have a bit more Woman in Black and a bit less Wicked?

It wouldn't take much. Go back to the lighting design and for every light and shadow cast, question "in the universe of Hex, what is this? Light from a stained glass window? No? Then it shouldn't be blue." "Is this generator failing from some epic magic burst of energy from the witch's own fingers, or is it a mysterious, unnerving breakdown of an old bit of kit, just like the workers had been reporting?"

But....my baby is coming back and I could weep 😭🌳💚

As always, it's difficult to assess the final product from some teaser shots which will have their own additional lighting for the camera set up and to test effects so that the staff can see it properly.

Exactly the same comments were made when the press shots of Alty Mans were released. Final product was a bit different to the brighter colours.

I don't think I ever realised there was meant to be a sparking effect on the generator. Remember the "rain" though as it was very unpleasant.

I remember the generator sparks and the new one does look a bit over the top from that video, but it depends how it all works in the finished product. I hope they don't overdo it trying to make it more 'exciting' although I suppose they may have to to get the numbers to justify the refurb?

The spark looks bloody awful.

From a generator spluttering into life, to the final of gladiators.

Great they’ve had a go but this wasn’t it.

I’d love to see the rain come back, particularly to reinforce the illusion of a storm indoors.

The whole mystique of hex is the darkness, is the scruffy, the temporary nature of it, the shadows and mystery. The building has all the atmosphere the space needs, it needs space to breathe a bit. Darker the better

As has been said, we all need to judge the final product, but I really hope we don’t get disco hex, or some strange attempt at “haunted mansioning” the ride.

I’m intrigued to see if all the effects in the vault are working:

Fibre branch
Pulsing tube
Rotating lights?
Red eyes

Any more?

Really love the video, just the right amount of insight without giving it all away.

I do have concerns we are heading for a Disco Hex to go with the Disco Eggs, but at least it looks like some thought and professional standards are being put in unlike some previous attempts.
Disco Hex? Much like Disco Yeti at Animal Kingdom, wonder if we'll have our own Disco Oak Branch for Hex should we see the branch prop have effects added...?

...On second thought, a pretty horrible idea that Merlin would do though 'Disco Oak Branch' has a weird yet nice ring to it admittingly.

The video was very good. I like the new spark effect, and it will be great to hear the remastered soundtrack throughout the attraction.

LOVE the video. Bianca has done an amazing job. I know it looks brighter but in the final version indon’t think it will be that bright. (I hope). Hope they keep the wind and rain elements as i LOVED that section of hex. Really do hope its all subtle changes than ‘disco hex’. Looks very very promising. A nice suprise for my 2nd favourite ride at towers

I actually like all the new upgraded lights and colours which is still immersive but in a different way. The problem with Hex before is many would walk past it thinking it’s not a ride and some sort of castle tour, I’ve had friends say this to me in the past and to skip it as looks boring. This lighting package may actually draw more people in perhaps?

As mentioned above I do think a Que line screen timer outside would also help draw people inside. But does Hex actually need fastrack?

I understand the concerns about the lighting and spark effects. I still remember my first ride-the dimly lit wrapped manekins’s, the subtle sparking of the generators, the throbbing lights, and from then on I was obsessed. Less is more on an attraction like this. And while I’m glad they’ve thought about these things, it needs to be done tastefully. I’m hoping that the colours in person are actually more subtle and that they’ve just dialled them up a bit to help it show better on video (as you can do with LEDs nowadays). As for the sparks-I will judge when I see it! It does look a bit much though.

As mentioned above I do think a Que line screen timer outside would also help draw people inside. But does Hex actually need fastrack?
I would argue no…but does it hurt? I don’t think so. If you’re an international guest or someone who doesn’t get to visit often, and you can’t help but come in peak summer, then it can help gain a bit of time back and guarantee you a ride. Although it’s a throughput machine, I have waited around a hour for it before when it is busy. But as I said, I don’t think it really hurts to have it either. We could then argue whether some of the other rides need fast track, which is a different discussion ☺️.

It may have a lower theoretical capacity however Hex is much like Curse where even when there is a queue, it doesn't feel long as you're constantly moving. It’s a throughput machine in a different way.

I haven't managed to watch the video yet but with the additional wall before the turnstiles (pre-show pre-show) and the new queue system outside I wonder how much this will impact Hex. Whereas before there was pretty much a consistent flow through the queue, this may turn into long waits with the additional faff.

So is the current thinking, that with the merge point outside, and no more turnstile, that you will be let through the big doors as groups of 78, and no more will be let inside until that group has passed into the new armoury pre-cinema room? So the interior is no longer a queue but simply a walking path to the first part of the ride? I wonder if the queueline videos will be changed in any way to make them more suitable for people powerwalking past?

So is the current thinking, that with the merge point outside, and no more turnstile, that you will be let through the big doors as groups of 78, and no more will be let inside until that group has passed into the new armoury pre-cinema room? So the interior is no longer a queue but simply a walking path to the first part of the ride? I wonder if the queueline videos will be changed in any way to make them more suitable for people powerwalking past?
I personally think the outdoor bit is just the merge, and it will end out being similar to the smiler after the bag hold or the curse after the enterance doors, where there is a bit of a queue (to me from looking at the video the indoor bit looks like it will be able to hold a couple loads of people) and then I think they will count them in at the new door.