• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Lightwater Valley

It was a ride that was only really saved by the ridiculous section after the second hill.

On paper it was terrible, in reality it wasn't much better. Bit of a cult classic in that I don't think anyone truly ever thought it was the best thing ever, but there were few experiences alike.

There were rough coasters, and then there was Ultimate.

I see a tradition happening with rough coasters
First the wild mouse (bp) disappeared now the ultimate whats next on the fire pile of coasters?
Hold on there !!! Wild Mouse was NOT a rough coaster. Probably one of the least roughest coasters at the pleasure beach. Wild yes, rough definitely not !

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Absolute travesty. Looks like they've even started to dismantle the trains.

If this was BPB, they'd be selling off the parts in the shop. I wonder if they've thought about that. I'd love one of those unique swiss cheese large running wheels. If anyone happens to visit anytime soon (unlikely now it's all kiddy rides), could you check just in case they might actually be selling wheels, etc? Thanks

I feel this place will Ultimately (soz) end up like AA
I'm not so sure, they seemed to have managed the transition much better, and I believe that Brighton Pier group said it was making a profit or at least breaking even. It's a shame they've gone down this route however it does seem to be working for them, which is the long run is better than the park completely closing.

The reviews last year were pretty shocking, the place took another dive last summer apparently.

So the novelty of kids only rides has worn off already. At the expense of the one of the wildest, craziest coasters in the country. It’s one thing changing their target audience, but is there really a market for a kids only park there?

I mean I can only see fairly local people bothering to go, whereas some nutters would travel hours to repeat ride Ulty, experience a lights on Raptor Attack breakdown, and have a picnic with alcoholic ice pops in a nearby field.

They’ve lost the coaster fanatics, young childless adults, and all the secondary school trips. However good what’s left might be, they’ve surely lost a chunk of punters

From last year's interim report covering the full first year of ownership:

Lightwater Valley has seen significantly lower admissions compared to the exceptional 2021 year (impacting revenues, despite improved spend-per-head from retail investment in the new food and beverage operations). Together with increased costs, this has reduced profitability compared to management expectations based on the previous season, when pent-up demand from COVID lockdowns saw an unprecedented surge in visitors. The Group has invested £0.4 million in the redevelopment of the park, with new rides, improved catering offerings, and other outdoor attractions. Planning permission had previously been granted for the development of 106 timber-style holiday lodges on the southern edge of the Lightwater Valley Park. A minor variation to this existing planning consent is being sought, so that the first stage of holiday accommodation development can commence. This first stage will see the installation of circa twenty pod-type units for rental. The unique forest environment will make these an attractive proposition and will add a further revenue stream to the business. Whilst this project is at an early stage, it demonstrates the potential to create significant growth in the medium term.

I had thought that it was doing well as a smaller scale operation. The trip advisor reviews are generally very positive as guests have adjusted their expectations.

Facebook comments - while still generally positive - do seem more mixed, as their page’s audience was likely built up in a previous era when both the park and Facebook were a different landscape.

Its easily to see it as bleak when we know what it used to be, but I feel they’re onto something. They found a more realistic aim of catering to the lower end family market for people who don’t want back-to-back rides, instead wanting more of an activities led adventure day. Plus the main theme parks aren’t cheap, especially if you’re only utilising Nickelodeon Land/CBeebies land, so I can see why families may still be incentivised to make the trade down, especially with the current cost of living.

With that said, I’ve not been since the final day of the ultimates operating life, so who knows what it’s actually like on the ground. But I like their brand and approach, and from a purely outside amateur perspective, they seem… fine?

Going back to the Tripeadvisor reviews, the first fifty or so are obviously fake five star reviews...probably by staff, relatives of staff and professional reviewers.
Most have only done one or two reviews ever, yet lots of people seem to have wanted to give positive five star reviews all of a sudden, despite the new season having just started.
Anyone know how to report such blatant manipulation of review sites?
No quick report button I can find on the site.
Not very subtle at all.
Don't believe the reviews folks...
Thirty odd mainly five start reviews ...in a line...from punters who have only posted one or two reviews...absolute fake!!!
Shame on you Lightwater...false reviews should be made illegal...lying to prospective punters...read all the negative stuff from before last half term!

Last edited: