• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

London Dungeons

nickhutson said:
They probably use the same boat design as they might not have ordered new hardware from Mack Rides...
It's not actually Mack at all, but the ever-amazing WGH Transportation Engineering Limited :D.

Sam said:
The Boat Ride concept art implies they'll be using the same crappy ride system (the same boats at least) that they currently use. They're god-awful!
Cost (of course) - not just the hardware itself (why buy a new system when you've got an entirely satisfactory (in their eyes) one already?), but also any service contracts they have with the manufacturer (which, surprisingly, might well still be active - I know they are with older rides from WGH).

The channel for the boat ride is new and the layout is new.
I believe they will be using the old boats though, it is believe to have a vertical lift on the new boat ride! Like the current one used to have :)

It used to have one, yes.
Originally, you kept going straight where the lift hill now is, then turned left into a lift, which rotated right at the top.There was a firing squad in front of you, guns went "pop", and you fell backwards.

The final backwards turn in to the station had a sign on the wall saying "Whitechaple Sewer", And you got off straight in to Jack The Ripper.

I can only assume they removed it due to the ammount of down time it caused.

They should have a section devoted to the kindly killer Dennis Nilsen, it'd be an absolute riot!

He's at Madame Tussauds, so I don't see why not. :)

3112903177a10833869744l.jpg

Dennis%2BNilsen.JPG

Haha, I just noticed, they spelt his name wrong. :p

Again, not with their 100 year rule.

As a side note - I remember when I first went to the dungeons in about 1994, they had a dining table with a banquet going on and the ghost of Henry VIII would fade in and out. It was a cool hologram effect (he was green) and one I'd like to see return for the ride.

nickhutson said:
they had a dining table with a banquet going on and the ghost of Henry VIII would fade in and out. It was a pepper's ghost effect (he was green) and one I'd like to see return for the ride.

Fixed that for you ;)

Thanks! I didn't want to put Pepper's Ghost in because I wasn't sure if it was that, but I'll take your word for it!

I'm glad someone mentioned the old vertical lift as I was begging to think I'd imagined it. Any idea why they changed it in the first place? It must have saved a fair bit of space before and the firing squad shooting you as you fell backwards felt very appropriate to The story.

I believe it was due to technical issues, so they cut out some of the scenes and had a regular lift instead.

The acid bath idea sounds pretty grim. It could work really well. But why the 100 year rule? Purely ethical, as not to offend victims/their family?

It could also partly be because we, as humans, like to think we are a civilised race these days (HA!), while our ancestors were savages. Bad stuff only happened in the olden days, didn't you know? ;)

We only torture and harm bad guys these days. You know, like all those people in Guantanamo Bay. They are all bad guys. They must be... The yanks said so.

Am I correct in thinking the second one is a themed ticket desk :)

Also glad to see Sweeney Todd is getting a well needed expansion. I felt just having the Barbour shop felt like the whole thing relied too much on that one scene. I guess this will be used as an introduction?

Yes - the whole ticket area seems to be themed to a gate keeper area.

Also - it's brilliant they're doing a Lovett scene... though the bodies weren't delivered to the actual pie shop, they were delivered to the bakehouse (beneath the pie shop and then processed) but... as it's not a true story anyway, one can tell it however they wish!!

This seems to have slipped the net - a behind-the-scenes video of Brian Blessed being filmed for the new London Dungeons - as we know, he'll be Henry XIII, and it seems he'll be a "high-tech 3D talking head", i.e. precisely like the one at the start of the Warwick Castle Dungeons, or indeed in many attractions (Piraten in Batavia at Europa, for instance). Perhaps over-selling the technology a bit...

...still, a very interesting watch, especially I'd guess if you love Blessed (which seems to be most on here, excluding myself :p ), and also to see how they film the clips for such projected-head effects:

Brian Blessed is Henry VIII for our new London Dungeon!

The old "projector on a dummy", eh? In fairness, The London Dungeon already has the best example of that I've seen... The one that sings at you just before the torture chamber.

If it works effectively - that's all that matters. It's an extremely clever effect. Let's just be glad there will be now there is no train rumbling above that the projectors and lights won't be jolted out of place!

As a side note, I'd like to see it done one day with a live actor providing the footage so it can actually talk to people.