• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

No Limits 2

Fredward said:
they look in game, but I'm not as impressed in all honesty, mainly because I lurk on polycount a lot. From a distance they look fantastic, but I wish they didn't show the close up pictures... just makes me see all the flaws and the textures look so horrible that close. Though that is just me being overly critical

Considering that NL2 should work on most modern computers, it's a great feat to have something that looks like that- with several coasters and scenery in a park as well- without a ridiculously powerful gaming computer to work it.

Meh, I find a lot of triple A games to have better texture work, I think it's a poor choice to have such a dirty and busy texture doesn't look great up close.

This is an indie company building an ambitious project, i'm not expecting miracles and stunning results, but i'll post my opinion when I have one,

You'll be able to change the textures to suit your taste anyway, depending on what you want the ride to look like (old and rusty or brand new, etc...).

Fredward said:
Meh, I find a lot of triple A games to have better texture work, I think it's a poor choice to have such a dirty and busy texture doesn't look great up close.

This is an indie company building an ambitious project, i'm not expecting miracles and stunning results, but i'll post my opinion when I have one,

And it's a fair enough opinion, but the developers are targeting realism and, because a lot of coasters are dirty and rusty, so they've tried to put that into the game. There are options, though, to not have these textures on.

To be fair, Triple A games have million pound budgets. This does not. Besides, this is not and never has been a game, it is a simulator primarily designed to accurately simulate roller coasters. Something even No Limits 1 does very well.

Graphics quality is obviously a bonus, and it is clear from the pictures that the graphics have had a major boost from NL1 and include many modern graphical techniques to give the graphics an extra boost. However, graphics have never been the number one goal of the No Limits project, the main goal has always been to have a piece of software that accurately and realistically simulates the physics and movement of roller coasters, along with an editor with 'no limits' in order to create / re create any roller coaster imaginable. While it does fall short in a few areas, it manages these goals very very well. Now with the obvious improvement in graphics, this goal of realistically simulating roller coasters is even more realized than ever before.

Now, if you look at big budget 'simulators' on the market from big game studios, they almost always fail in the simulator part, and fail to deliver a very accurate representation of what they are simulating.

These people are industry leaders in the business of simulating roller coasters, there have been other roller coasters simulators in the past. (Scream Machines, Hyper Rails) With the latter been made by a professional game studio. Both completely failed against the might of No Limits, in terms of everything, graphics, physics, editing quality ect. They did not even come close to stepping on the toes of No Limits in fact.

It is rather amazing that all of this has been achieved by 3 people, with only one person doing the code. For such a great piece of software, even for NL1 that is an amazing feat, let alone doing it again with all the added features for NL2. I code in C++ myself, and really know how much of an amazing feat this software would be for a team of people, let alone 1! When you look at it from that aspect, it really is a miracle that this software ever got released. There have been plenty of far less ambitious projects in the past, by far bigger teams of people that have failed to see even a alpha or beta stage.

This isn't a case of graphics or big budgets, I only was making a comment about the model/texture quality which I personally think is sub par. The texture work doesn't look great, and there is something missing on the images that will make them look great. I also think some anti-aliasing wouldn't go amiss, I don't think you know what you are on about if you think i'm bitching about graphics.

I don't understand why you post that lengthy couple paragraphs at the end, I have already stated I know this is an indie company, but i'm not even talking about the code, the physics, the simulation blah blah blah, i'm on about that small amount of texture/modelling quality up close, you are all acting like such fan boys, yes the product looks amazing, but one person points out a single flaw you all go to the defense ignoring it exists.

Apparently a few mods and VIP members at Coaster Crazy have NL2 early. If this is true, I can only presume it's for beta testing.

Dave said:
Jared said:
There are a few other who do too ;)

RideOp has stated the fact that anyone has an early release is a hoax.

Curiouser and curiouser

I know 6 people who have the Beta. I believe all the big bugs are found now though.

What do people think of them releasing it before the year ends? In the October 2013 post they said 'It will be released this year for sure'. I am guessing they may over-run that date by a little. Hopefully they can get it out for new year, would be a great time!

I have a feeling it might release on Christmas day. Would be a great way to release a new game and most of the hard work can be done before hand getting the servers ready, etc, but then not actually allow it to be downloaded until Christmas day. Failing that, so long as it comes before midnight on the 31st, they would have still kept to their word :p

BigDave said:
Failing that, so long as it comes before midnight on the 31st, they would have still kept to their word :p

Like something else that opened on the 31st of the month. :p

I am rather looking forward to this.

:eek:

They sure do love to tease us, and that video just makes it looks even more amazing!

Jared said:
Did no one see the 'couple of days' hint?

Sorry I was too busy admiring the greatness of the video. Lol.

Couple of days? Let's hope this might happen!