• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

UK politics general discussion

The only explanation at this point is he intends to hold on until the last moment and then ask for a snap election.

The only explanation at this point is he intends to hold on until the last moment and then ask for a snap election.
He seemed hesitant on that idea earlier; he said it “would not be in the interest of the public”.

Following on from my previous post, the 1922 Committee has decided not to change the rules around confidence votes (yet)... but that it will now hold a speedy election and a new executive will be formed on Monday. The new executive will have the power to change the rules if they wish.

The BBC is now reporting that Boris Johnson has blatantly refused to quit in spite of the calls of a number of cabinet ministers, saying that he wants to continue to deal with the “hugely important issues facing the country”. He has cited his mandate from the people in 2019 as a reason for him to stay.

There are also reports that a number of cabinet ministers “held resignation letters in their hands”, with intentions of resigning themselves if he refuses to go.

Furthermore, the BBC has calculated that 21% of Conservative MPs have today switched from supportive or neutral to being openly opposed to Boris Johnson’s leadership.

The BBC is now reporting that Boris Johnson has blatantly refused to quit in spite of the calls of a number of cabinet ministers, saying that he wants to continue to deal with the “hugely important issues facing the country”.
No surprises there, I think there are two paths now although there may be others: 1922 committee changes rules and he loses a new confidence vote or Boris calls a general election that he likely then looses, even if only marginally,

No surprises there, I think there are two paths now although there may be others: 1922 committee changes rules and he loses a new confidence vote or Boris calls a general election that he likely then looses, even if only marginally,
I think Boris calling a general election is very unlikely. He said it “wouldn’t be in the people’s best interests” at the liaison committee today, and even putting that aside; would he really do something that would likely at very least cause significant harm to his party’s standing?

In other news, Brandon Lewis has resigned as Northern Ireland Secretary, marking the first cabinet resignation since Javid and Sunak yesterday.
EDIT: The BBC were incorrect in reporting Brandon Lewis’ resignation; he has not resigned.

Last edited:
These new 1922 elections are due to be held early next week. I think it's an almost certainty that rules will be changed and that the Tory party will vote no confidence in the PM.

Loyalist beasts such as Priti Patel and Michael Gove are urging him to step down as we speak. As is newly promoted Nadhim Zahawi and Kwasi Kwateng. Presumably, MP's who would be seen as backbench fruitcakes if it wasn't for Boris - JRM and Nadine Dorres will be convincing him to stay.

If the 1922 committee don't deal the final blow, there is a chance he won't be able to form a cabinet. If that happens, he will be forced to call a general election. But the Queen can refuse a dissolution of parliament if a government can be formed. If Boris doesn't go tonight or over the next few days, he could be asking the Queen to ask an alternative government to be formed by the majority party. It's all very extraordinary really. A constitutional problem we've never seen in our lifetimes.

I think Boris sees himself more as. President than a Prime Minister. He's certainly behaving this way.

And that's Gove gone. Think we're up to 40 resignations/sackings now? I keep losing count. I give you this video, which I think accurately sums up my thoughts on the goings-on.

Yes there are constitutional issue's around the Prime Ministers power to ask the queen to dissolve parliament, something which was solved with the now repealed fixed term parliament act. However I think if Boris asked the queen to dissolve parliament or call an election she would have to do so. Two separate things thought that usually intertwine, it's all very messy.

I think Boris is playing a dangerous game sacking Gove, however I think he had little alternative. I think if Boris is backed into a corner (which is the right thing to do by the way not supporting him) then I think he will call an election as I imagine his thinking would be along the lines of, I'm going either way but there is a small chance if I call an election. I think if Boris called an election all of a sudden you'd see the Tory party and media rally around him, they simply cannot be risking changing leader during an election campaign. I would not be surprised if an election is triggered at some point within the next few weeks. Boris is unlikely to survive it but he has that small chance, I also don't think Boris thinks he would loose an election.
like I said earlier two paths: 1922 committee kicks him out or the public kick him out (and hopefully he looses his seat too, let's put him out of all public office).

The Queen needs to intervene.
She can't, she needs to remain politically neutral, she can suggest to him that he goes but that's as far as she can go. Actually intervening to appoint a new PM would break major conventions (although not technically be illegal) and could make major constitutional problems.

She can't, she needs to remain politically neutral, she can suggest to him that he goes but that's as far as she can go. Actually intervening to appoint a new PM would break major conventions (although not technically be illegal) and could make major constitutional problems.
But what choice does she have? At the end of the day, she is still the executive by statute, he is simply the Prime Minister in Her Majesties Government. He governs with her consent because he currently technically has the confidence of the House of Commons to do so. In a parliamentary system, the Prime Minister forms a government by the consent of parliament also. He or She gets that consent by commanding confidence from the house. If he cannot form a government because he does not have enough ministers willing to serve then we're in constitutional chaos.

If an MP from a party that has a majority in the house of commons can form a credible government then she will have no choice but to refuse the dissolution of parliament and ask said MP to form a government.

Last edited:
The lying racist can only ask the queen to dissolve parliament, he can't actually insist.
She has the constitutional right to find another Prime Minister if she feels that would resolve the situation.
She can give Michael "THE SNAKE" Gove the job until the next election.
Watched him squirm from noon until six yesterday afternoon, wonderful live tv.

The Queen does not get involved in politics. It's not her job to resolve the crises of the governments of the day.

Does anybody else find this reminiscent of Donald Trump's final days? Refusing to accept political norms, fighting to the end even when the battle is lost?

Sky News have put together some interesting stats:
  • More ministers [resigned yesterday] from government than have ever done before in a single day, higher than the previous record of 11 ministers quitting in September 1932.
  • It means more ministers have resigned in [a 24 hour period] from Boris Johnson's government than quit in the entire tenure of David Cameron and Gordon Brown's premierships.
  • Boris Johnson's premiership has now been marked by more ministerial resignations and at a faster rate than all other Prime Ministers since 1979.
16571774825910.jpg

No doubt this will be completely out of date by the time you read this.

Get a nice big promotion, and then use your new position to tell the PM to go:

I saw this analogy yesterday and it's quite a good one: proper Game of Thrones stuff!

The only thing that I think is certain is that Johnson will not resign. He'd rather be dragged out kicking and screaming. Having said that his position is clearly untenable and I would be surprised if he has enough willing MPs to appoint in to all of the new vacancies.