• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

PortAventura World: Ferrari Land

"Will not affect the planned opening schedule"

...not sure it's particularly professional to present a brand new park with part of it blocked off and smelling like a barbecue??

Interesting to see how the damage looks in daylight and ascertain just how big of an impact this could have!

They've got an opening date in 4/5 months right? Plenty of time (even at Spanish speeds) to get things sorted... If it was mostly cosmetic damage to theming especially...

Some idiot probably left a soldering iron on or something similar...

Alton never recovered from the first sky ride fire, look at the state of the place. Hope PA doesn't go the same way...

I know I shouldn't but I couldn't help have a little laugh about this! Not least because this fire is the most interesting thing to happen at Ferarri Land so far!

EDIT:

Here is a before and after showing the damage:

th720_c8fc0d56dd4c1d1fef7fb19c85614546.jpg

CzqpqyiXUAIHTH2.jpg

Ooops! Love how they're pretending this isn't going to impact the opening at all.

:)

Last edited:
Normally id be upset by an incident such as this happening at any park, especially so close to the parks signature (in this case, read as only) coaster. But this is honestly the funniest news I've woken up to this year.

This park has been a joke from the start. From the first announcement of a 10 years out of date coaster and a couple of flats, to the not quite straight track, and then finding out that it has an absolutely pathetic acceleration. This fire just nicely finishes it off as one of the biggest failures in recent years.

There is no need to worry, PA's recent theming is merely some form of polystyrene (hence it burned so quickly) and is apparently 3D printed so it won't take long to replace! Praise the lords of cheap theming! :p

It'll be interesting to see how this affects opening as surely damage to that level is going to setback construction a fair bit.

Unless they build/rebuild things quickly, could we be looking at a mid/later opening or even the affected area having a staggered opening? I.E opens later in the year?

Time will tell maybe.

Apart from the height of the coaster, Ferrari Land doesn't really interest me and I'm much more excited for attractions like Project V and Symbolica.

Another few images have popped up over the course of this morning, including a comparison pre and post fire:

From Twitter
firecomparison.jpg

To give you an idea of the area this is, I've highlighted it on the overview of the land from PA's website:

overview.jpg

As well as the obvious fire damage, there's a lot of smoke damage too. That said though, this doesn't seem to have affected the ride itself (the expensive bit!). The buildings that set on fire back onto the main pavilion, and as large as that building is I doubt there's too much in there at the moment so shouldn't set things back too much.

There is no need to worry, PA's recent theming is merely some form of polystyrene (hence it burned so quickly) and is apparently 3D printed so it won't take long to replace! Praise the lords of cheap theming! :p

Now hold on, we can't start berating parks for using polystyrene as a theming material. That's not in any way unusual. Most of IOA is made of the stuff.

I'm skeptical about how much of that theming is actually 3D printed. A lot of companies like to throw around the term as a futuristic buzzword because it resonates well with the public and press.

I don't know of any machine that can print in expanded polystyrene or styrofoam. I don't know how you could. There is a machine that prints in PU expanding foam but it's a research prototype and the results look pretty rough.

3D printing is not quite the magic bullet many think it is. While it can be much faster than traditional prototyping techniques on a small product scale, when you start scaling it up to this sort of size, it becomes very slow when compared to CNC routers. Plus for a project like this, the ability to create complex internal geometry and overhangs is less important.

There's also often a misconception that a piece comes off a 3D printer as a pristine, finished product. In reality, there can be quite a bit of time-consuming finishing work to do once it comes off the machine.

So yes, regardless of how much 3D printing technology they use, this will definitely set them back.

Last edited:
Now hold on, we can't start berating parks for using polystyrene as a theming material. That's not in any way unusual. Most of IOA is made of the stuff.

I know, but PA's recent theming is hardly of the same quality as that in IOA, even if it is similar materials. PA does have good theming on the whole though.

Regardless how how quickly it takes for them to replace the damaged theming it is surely going to set them back? Either that or they are going to open an unfinished park.

When is it that they are due to open, April 9th? With a smoke plume that large I imagine not only has that section of buildings burnt out (as shown in pictures), alot of the other buildings will all need defluming and clean. Does anyone know if any of these buildings had anything much in them yet? If the plume has blown onto the coaster (which I havn't seen any evidence that it has) that would be quite a cleaning job in itself, although I found that red colour they have chosen to already look dirty anyway.

They must of given themselves alot of spare time for problems if something like this can happen and they can still open on time, if so full credit to them thats some seriously well thought out planning, being able to weather an incident like this relatively unaffected, we will have to see once they know the true scale of the damage!

With this, the Polynesian Fire Show and Templo del Fuego Porta Ventura's got to be the hottest destination to visit in 2017 ;)

It isn't funny, of course it isn't.

But it [the general ambivalence/joking] demonstrates how uninterested anybody actually is in this project.

If Shambhala had started burning down during construction, there'd have been genuine upset. With this, I don't think the majority are really bothered.

Of course, it's sad for the park.

If Shambhala had started burning down during construction, there'd have been genuine upset. With this, I don't think the majority are really bothered.

Surely all that does is highlight the selfishness of some people? "Oh I have no interest in this project, let it burn" o_O

Whether you like the project or not it's still a set back for the park and a good park at that. Would the same apply to someone who has no interest in The Smiler or Alton laughing about the accident? It just strikes me as odd the number of people quick to laugh at the expense of another park's misfortune. If this had of been at Europa there would have been an official day of mourning, the forum would have adopted black armbands and a candle light vigil held. :p

No-one has ridden these rides or seen the area and have already dismissed it as terrible. lol

Surely all that does is highlight the selfishness of some people? "Oh I have no interest in this project, let it burn" o_O

Whether you like the project or not it's still a set back for the park and a good park at that. Would the same apply to someone who has no interest in The Smiler or Alton laughing about the accident? It just strikes me as odd the number of people quick to laugh at the expense of another park's misfortune. If this had of been at Europa there would have been an official day of mourning, the forum would have adopted black armbands and a candle light vigil held. :p

No-one has ridden these rides or seen the area and have already dismissed it as terrible. lol

I think everything about this project is seen as somewhat of a joke by many people, myself included, and this just adds fuel to the fire (pardon the pun). Of course in reality it is sad and I would never wish this up on any park and I don't want the area destroyed by fire. I'm sure many of use would be making jokes and laughing if there was another fire on the Skyride at Towers for example, but we don't wish for it to happen.

As for the park, it might not be terrible but in terms of the rides they've chosen it is so unimaginative. Launch coaster? Already got one, Baco. Tallest and fastest coaster in Europe? Already got it, Shambhala, so not gaining any new records there. Tower rides? Already got a good one, Hurakan Condor.

I'm sure it will be a lovely park. I'm also sure that the lack of any high capacity rides and PA's woeful operations will ensure it is hell at peak times. I'm also sure that it is far too small to ever be classed as its own park!