• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Potential New Universal UK Park

Honestly, I'd take the Kung Fu Panda ride as well. It could be a lot better, but even still it's of a scale and quality the UK don't even come close to in terms of Dark Rides.
I'd want them to do better, but as a base line it's acceptable.

I agree, my son would absolutely love that ride (for the experience, not the IP). The closest things in the UK would be The Curse or Gruffalo but something like this is already higher production values.

If they get permission to build a park & have a LOTR area or even better a LOTR second gate then they will have one of the most popular parks on the planet! Millions will travel from all over the world to see that.

A whole second gate dedicated to Middle Earth would actually be the most incredible thing in the history of theme parks. At least for me anyway.

I doubt that's what we will get though. If they do get the rights to do it I suspect we will get a whole land at the very most.

Interestingly there's been a prequel written called Gollum which was estimated to be released in cinemas in 2025/26 however the Tolkien estate have just won a court case to have the whole project cancelled. They are very very particular about who gets to use it and for what. Although if the Tolkien family have ever visited the Wizarding World I'm sure they'd appreciate LOTR would be in incredibly good hands with Universal.

I wouldn't have an issue with a minions area if it's all rides I'm too big for anyway similarly I've been to Alton towers way too many times to count yet I've yet to put myself into getting the octonauts cred.

I will say minions would be quite a valued IP but it's one of those things I think a lot of parents would rather be stuck on hell on earth than be in 'minions land' or something like that for 4 hours atleast if I was a parent I'd have that opinion.
You say that, but once little Johnny has seen the advert on TV and won't stop screaming "MINIONS LAND! TAKE ME TO MINIONS LAND!" for weeks on end, 4 hours of hell might not seem so bad.

Think there was some chat about the Harry Potter IP further up the thread - and whether it’s a shoo-in for this project if it gets off the ground - but I wonder how Warner Brothers would feel about it completely usurping their still very popular Studio Tour 40 miles away at Leavesden…maybe something Comcast feels risks confusing punters.

Also worth saying there were all rumours a while back Comcast was planning an offer for Warner Bros Discovery - but that’s now very much off the table:

Also worth saying there were all rumours a while back Comcast was planning an offer for Warner Bros Discovery - but that’s now very much off the table:

As if Warners can afford to buyout Paramount. The implosion of Hollywood continues.

Back to discussing Universal Bedford, I wouldn't say no to a themed area based on some of the worst films of all time.. maybe a ' The Room: A Tommy Wiseau Singalong in 4D' attraction, with a 'Birdemic Shock and Terror: The Maze', but with puppet birds that are every bit as poorly made as the visual effects were in the film.

Last edited:
I don't know what it says about me but I love the despicable Me and Minions films. They are great family films and always make me laugh.

I'd be just fine with them coming over. Trolls, HTTYD, Shrek or whatever else they decide to go with would be fine too.

As for some of the other area.....I wonder if they'd consider a Sherlock Holmes inspired land. Probably a bit too niche and therefore unlikely isn't it but I'd love to see it myself.

Maybe they could negotiate for Doctor Who.... That'd be a big pull here and increasingly for international visitors
Merlin really should try and push for Doctor Who before Universal nab it. I’ve always thought the Spinball site is really the only remaining large flat site, and would be perfect for a large Doctor Who dark ride at Towers

Some of the comments I have seen online regarding potential coasters are making me laugh....Don't think most casual fans realise that Universal Studios aren't meant to be a coaster heavy places.

The park they recently opened in Beijing literally only has one thrill coaster which is the Hulk Clone themed to Transformers. They have two family coasters and one kiddie one. That's your lot. They do have 4/5 incredible dark rides though.

This is why I don't think Towers and Thorpe will have too much to worry about. If this place is built it will be incredibly popular for sure but they will definitely be offering a completely different product to Merlin. It's going to be movie related dark rides I'm positive what we will end up seeing with at the very most two major coasters. That leaves the Merlin parks plenty of opportunities to bring in some more top coasters.

Some of the comments I have seen online regarding potential coasters are making me laugh....Don't think most casual fans realise that Universal Studios aren't meant to be a coaster heavy places.

The park they recently opened in Beijing literally only has one thrill coaster which is the Hulk Clone themed to Transformers. They have two family coasters and one kiddie one. That's your lot. They do have 4/5 incredible dark rides though.

This is why I don't think Towers and Thorpe will have too much to worry about. If this place is built it will be incredibly popular for sure but they will definitely be offering a completely different product to Merlin. It's going to be movie related dark rides I'm positive what we will end up seeing with at the very most two major coasters. That leaves the Merlin parks plenty of opportunities to bring in some more top coasters.

And this is why Thorpe Park won't be as badly affected by Universal as people think. The UK parks lack good dark rides and shows, they are mostly about coasters and flats. Universal will no doubt fix this problem with a whole lot of dark rides and shows.

I’m sure Universal might put in one or possibly two thrill coasters, though. Many of the Studios parks the company has built have had at least one outdoor thrill coaster from the get go, and some of Universal’s parks even have multiple. There’s also every possibility that Universal would dabble in immersively themed enclosed coasters with a ride akin to Revenge of the Mummy or Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts.

I do agree with the sentiment that they’re unlikely to be a prime focus, however. The UK industry doesn’t really need another park where coasters are the prime focus; the likes of Alton Towers and Thorpe Park amongst others fill that void well enough already. A dark ride and theming focused park, however, is something that the UK industry is lacking, and this is also where Universal really excel. In my mind, it would be a no brainer for Universal to really double down on the immersive dark rides and heavy theming for a UK park.

Is Dr Who a famous IP like others featured at Universal parks?

Unless I’m mistaken, aren’t most IPs at Universal parks world famous/recognisable.

I imagine the park will do its upmost to appeal to international travellers so will only include IPs that are very well known.

I think James Bond has a better shot than something like Dr Who

I think you've hit the nail on the head here that in terms of market positioning, there is little point in struggling through arduous planning battles just to build big roller coasters so you can be a higher quality version of Alton Towers, but in Bedfordshire. Could anyone imagine a bog standard Hulk clone being attractive to UK park goers?

Despite the fact we live in a country where it rains all the time, Merlin are pretty poor at dark rides and the lack of quality examples in their current parks is quite shocking. They're crap at IP's too.

If this were to go ahead (which I doubt it will, no matter how happy clappy I'm demanded to be by others for no logical reason), places like Alton and Thorpe would become the UK equivalents of Six Flags. There will be some competitive overlap of course, but Comcast wouldn't even consider this if there wasn't a gap in the market left by Merlin. That's another reason why the "competition" debate is so flawed. They would be competing for a dwindling leisure spend yes, but for most intents and purposes within different sections of the market. A park of this stature would be equally reliant on international tourism as local tourism anyway, which Merlin parks are not.

Regarding the conditions of the failed Essex park in the 90's, I agree with everyone that it's very different now. Because Grey Crested Newts aside, it's far worse now by every other measure.

Last edited:
Is Dr Who a famous IP like others featured at Universal parks?

Unless I’m mistaken, aren’t most IPs at Universal parks world famous/recognisable.

I imagine the park will do its upmost to appeal to international travellers so will only include IPs that are very well known.

I think James Bond has a better shot than something like Dr Who

Doctor Who is nationally significant as well as well known internationally. Disney now have the international distribution rights and have pumped in extra funding to increase the show's value.

The more British IP's the better to guarantee more British guests in addition to international guests.

Last edited:
The 'more British IP's the better' not necessarily true. Totally depends on the franchise.

I can't see many people from mainland Europe and the States being overly bothered about Paddington Bear for example personally. But Lord of the Rings, James Bond and Dr Who etc.......I think would attract tourists which is surely their aim here. If it goes ahead this place needs to appeal to more than just the UK population to be a success.

I think it will be a nice mix of British and US they go with.

They might even not have lands totally themed to specific franchises either. Might be more geographical areas and fit the relevant IP's where they best fit. Example: Hollywood as an area. UK another.