• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.
Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: Quick Questions 2013

Noo! This means we can go to the park on Nemesis' 20th birthday. :(

I imagine they'll still have events on for when the park does open. I'm sure they definitely won't miss that one out :)

For photographing rollercoasters. What's the best ISO, shutter speed and aperture?

I'm using a Nikon D320

Jables said:
For photographing rollercoasters. What's the best ISO, shutter speed and aperture?

I'm using a Nikon D320

Depends on a lot of things. What the lighting conditions are, what kind of effect you're going for, do you want a blurred effect or a still coaster train...

As starting point I would say (based on neutral daylight) - Aperture: F/8 - ISO: 400 - Shutter speed: Use a light meter based on fstop, 1/500 may just be about right.

It really depends on the lighting conditions. If you're using a camera on manual settings it should have a built in light meter. The key rule to rollercoaster photography if you want a still train is using a quick shutter speed. The rest is really down to experimenting. There's no right or wrong answer.

James said:
Jables said:

I'm using a Nikon D320

Depends on a lot of things. What the lighting conditions are, what kind of effect you're going for, do you want a blurred effect or a still coaster train...

As starting point I would say (based on neutral daylight) - Aperture: F/8 - ISO: 400 - Shutter speed: Use a light meter based on fstop, 1/500 may just be about right.

It really depends on the lighting conditions. If you're using a camera on manual settings it should have a built in light meter. The key rule to rollercoaster photography if you want a still train is using a quick shutter speed. The rest is really down to experimenting. There's no right or wrong answer.

This. Light is definitely the key thing, it'll be a lot easier to capture a moment with clarity in bright sunlight as opposed to miserable clouds. In bright sunlight you can stop down to f/5.6 and above on Aperture Priority mode with pretty much minimum ISO and you'll get great results.

To get a great arty blurred shot with faces in focus, (on Canon anyway), I'd switch AF mode to AI Servo (tracking mode), put it into Shutter Priority and lower the shutter speed to below 1/100. :)

I'm going to buy an AT Annual Pass for 2014, and I'd quite like to do it online. I take it that there's something that gets printed off, but do I collect my pass from AT the next time I go (feb half term)?

I am toying with the idea of getting an Annual Pass.
I know that the disability one is in the name of the disabled person and a carer get in on it too. But I have a questions about the disabled one.
What do you need to prove disability? and does this pass mean automatic red band, or do you still have to have a letter from the consultant?

Tom.B said:
I'm going to buy an AT Annual Pass for 2014, and I'd quite like to do it online. I take it that there's something that gets printed off, but do I collect my pass from AT the next time I go (feb half term)?

Take it to the prepaid tickets booth thing, they'll give you a entry ticket, you then go to the box office and take the ticket and your printout and they'll make your pass (Thats how the merlin one worked, I assume same for AT pass)

jackandylan123 said:
Tom.B said:
What and where is the box office?

The shop on TS marked 'Box Office' (right hand side) ;)

Ok, thanks. You'll probs be there with me, so you can accompany me there. ;)

Also if you are planning on buying an annual pass, its often worth waiting till after Christmas, the Merlin ones (and sometimes towers ones) are usually on offer or half price.

delta79 said:
I am toying with the idea of getting an Annual Pass.
I know that the disability one is in the name of the disabled person and a carer get in on it too. But I have a questions about the disabled one.
What do you need to prove disability? and does this pass mean automatic red band, or do you still have to have a letter from the consultant?

Red wristbands are only for disabled guests with special access requirements re: queueing, so I would expect you'd go about the same process as usual in getting a wristband :)

djtruefitt said:
Also if you are planning on buying an annual pass, its often worth waiting till after Christmas, the Merlin ones (and sometimes towers ones) are usually on offer or half price.

I was planning on doing that anyway, but I had no idea about these offers. Tell me more!

A couple of years ago I got a premium Alton Towers annual pass for £50. Ever since then I have always bought a premium Merlin annual pass, but these are usually on offer from boxing day till the end of January. Best way is to keep an eye out on the Merlin annual pass website and their Facebook page. If they are doing one this year there should be an announcement very soon!

Tom.B said:
djtruefitt said:

I was planning on doing that anyway, but I had no idea about these offers. Tell me more!

On an unrelated note, I just suffered severe semantic satiation as a result of trying to understand your sig ;)

So is it true that you have your photo on your annual pass, and if so, do I have to take one with me when I go to get it sorted?

Tom.B said:
So is it true that you have your photo on your annual pass, and if so, do I have to take one with me when I go to get it sorted?
Yes you have a photo on your pass but they take it when you purchase it

Tom.B said:
djtruefitt said:

It is also worth noting this topic too though:
Annual Pass Topic

There are announcements coming about the Annual Pass soon, changes are expected and no one really knows what they are as of yet.

Just read the TS Article on Annual Passes, and I'm a bit confused...

Does the AT annual pass have standard and premium types, or not? I'm really unsure now.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.