• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Route from Katanga Canyon to Forbidden Valley closed

It's not really going good for towers at the monument over the start of the summer firstly Rita's cable snapped and the "suspect gas leak" causing the area to be closed hopefully it can be sorted safely so nobody gets injured

My theory on the monorail being closed: it might not be because it's unsafe, but because they don't want people to see whatever has happened.
This, combined with the blackout on news, leads me to suspect there is something more serious than a gas leak or fallen tree going on. Possibly some one has been injured somehow, and the area is now a crime scene?

DISCLAIMER: This is all my own speculation. No accusation is implied.

I gather that no news story or statement will be made public for this dramatic closure or any kind of light on the situation, not even explaining what happened?

Deleted a few random posts.

Can we make sure we add to the discussion and not post anything pointless please. :)

Could there have been something wrong with the monorail track around that area? The Monorail goes very close to the N:ST queue, I'm not sure how close it is to Duel, but maybe a wires gone, or a piece of tracks broken (I'm really bad at all this technical stuff, so ignore this post if its got nothing to do with anything what-so-ever)

Maybe it was lightning. We had lightning today in Nottingham, a lot of it. Maybe it hit a tree? It would certainly explain why the path was shut and why they shut the monorail.

Alexsutton said:
The closure of the Monorail does suggest it's something moderately serious, if guests can't even me moved past the area in that proximity.
If something that can ignite with sparks is in that area, the monorail would be de-energized due to the risk of sparks of it's electric pick up shoes.

Shutting down of comms systems can be for many reasons, Just as the shutting of this area can be for one of many reasons. I could list a few reasons, but that would not really be useful.

Rowe said:
I gather that no news story or statement will be made public for this dramatic closure or any kind of light on the situation, not even explaining what happened?

As of yet we havent heard anything official from Alton Towers, I'm assuming its a situation they don't want to elaborate on at present (if ever).

The closure of Sub Terra says to me that it's not anything like a tree falling over, this has to be something affecting a large area as N:ST can easily be accessed from the Forbidden Valley side if there was a tree fallen somewhere. A gas leak or even a bomb scare seems the most likely, something that could potentially affect a large area like that.

Tom said:
Of course they don't, how could it possibly be anything positive for them.

Little bit rude.
But they could certainly put a nice spin on it, explain that a situation happened, which they controlled with all guests interests at heart. A couple of disruptions took place for safety but no-one was harmed the situations is sorted and every attraction is now safe, guests who experiences any issues could contact guest services etc.

Clarity and honesty are much better in these situations and also stop wild speculation.

Depends on the situation...

After it has been assessed and what-not, we might well see a statement from the park, it can take till the next day for the park to get one together if the situation was relatively severe (but not severe enough to involve any guests in actual harm)...

oldgitben said:
Tom said:
Of course they don't, how could it possibly be anything positive for them.

Little bit rude.
But they could certainly put a nice spin on it, explain that a situation happened, which they controlled with all guests interests at heart. A couple of disruptions took place for safety but no-one was harmed the situations is sorted and every attraction is now safe, guests who experiences any issues could contact guest services etc.

Clarity and honesty are much better in these situations and also stop wild speculation.

It wasn't intended to be rude, it was merely short as I was on Tapatalk and I refuse to have those device-advertising/boasting signatures automatically added to my posts from that. If there was a smiley at the end of it nothing would have been said. You incorrectly assume a negative tone, that's all.

I simply do not think today's incident is something they can be positive about without lying, hence why you get silence from them - which I understand.

I'd like for a "DISTURBANCES in the Gloomy Wood mean that we are unable to..." sort of message as per a Thirteen breakdown, but I guess that's too much to ask.

Tried to not post my idea, but sod it. The flume is apparently closed as well, which backs onto the area where haunted hollow is so it could be that. Failing that, it could be something to do with the monorail maintenance area as that is next to Duel and Sub-Terra.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk 2

BigDave said:
Tried to not post my idea, but sod it. The flume is apparently closed as well, which backs onto the area where haunted hollow is so it could be that. Failing that, it could be something to do with the monorail maintenance area as that is next to Duel and Sub-Terra.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk 2

Surely this totally confirms the Skyride's closure as if has to go past the Flume and stop at FV. Did this happen at around 11/12 or before?

Also I don't want to fear the worst but it must be surely serious if we don't get a public statement tomorrow. If it isn't Towers' fault there would of been refunds and public statements being offered around. The social media seems to be rather quiet. I'd expect us figuring something out by about halfway through tomorrow. Please Towers trial a reduced entry fee for one day with near half the park shut while you at it!

I would imagine it's the area of the flume that's closest to Gloomy wood that is the problem, the Skyride is probably far enough away from the affected area. I'm not saying that's definitely the case, I'm saying that the Flume being closed doesn't necessarily mean the Skyride will be.

area.jpg

Judging by reports that's the area which has been closed off... That is massive.

I don't understand why they have closed the flume and not the rapids + RMT though? They are closer?!