• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Route from Katanga Canyon to Forbidden Valley closed

I have been told by a staff member that it was a unexploded WWII bomb and bomb disposal was called in.

Well... Hearing about a WWII bomb has certainly surprised me, especially when it's been existing for the past 70 years on the site, despite the bomb scare being one of the usual suspects.

Rowe said:
Well... Hearing about a WWII bomb has certainly surprised me, especially when it's been existing for the past 70 years on the site, despite the bomb scare being one of the usual suspects.

It's not actually as surprising as it might first seem, as Badger was telling me just a few weeks ago there is supposed to be a munition dump up in that area of the park from when the park was used by the army during WWII, although it'd be a little concerning if it was shallow enough to be exposed without serious excavation. (That said 70 years is a long time, so who knows how much top soil has been removed from the area in the creation, of paths and rides and alike in that time)

I was looking on Google and there seems to have been two previous bomb scares, one in 2005 in X-Sector and one in Ug Land during 2006. I'll have to be more careful wondering round the gardens in future. ;)

I don't buy that I'm afraid. Why would a UXB suddenly turn up on the oposite side of the park to where digging is taking place?
The grounds were used as an officer training camp, were they not? That's not the kind of place that would store live shells or bombs.

I call disinformation on this.

Yes but you don't get much bigger than a bomb scare Diogo. Clearly a ride has not crashed or anything as it would be over the news channels within seconds. Its not as if they found an alien underground or anything.... oh wait.... :p

Maybe - shock horror - there hasn't been an official statement not because they're lying to us and concealing information from us, but because it was something so insignificant that it wasn't worth mentioning. ::)

DiogoJ42 said:
The grounds were used as an officer training camp, were they not? That's not the kind of place that would store live shells or bombs.

I call disinformation on this.

Whilst I fear we may be heading somewhere off topic....

There certainly would have been some sort of ammunition depot somewhere in the park during WWII, as there is plenty of evidence that they were training using live ammunition at the site and the chances that this would have been stored anywhere near the Towers themselves would have been slim.

However I agree with you that it would seem somewhat unlikely that they would have been storing any sort of large scale bombs at the site, as what would the point be since they were training Officers for the Machine Gun regiments. (though I'm sure stranger things have happened)

Even if it has nothing to do with the above, it's a fascinating nugget of history for us all to enjoy. ;)

Oh, absolutely, Squiggs.. There would have been live rounds on site, but nothing explosive. Though it is possible that they had inert training grenades or something.

Sam said:
Maybe - shock horror - there hasn't been an official statement not because they're lying to us and concealing information from us, but because it was something so insignificant that it wasn't worth mentioning. ::)

But it's Merlin/Towers, therefore any logical idea like this is automatically thrown out the window...

;)

Spike said:
LOL @ this topic! :D

Got to love the hysteria of some people.

Agreed I don't know what's more worrying the actual incident or some of the imaginations that are going into overdrive here lol

Been on park today and everything has re-opened to guest hopefully it wasnt to serious

I'm interested to know how people are aware of this apparent methane (was it?) pocket and how such a thing could be suddenly disturbed without major soil movement.

I think the methane thing is a bit of a red herring TBH. It does exist, but I doubt it is related to this incident.

From memory (ie. don't quote me on it, but its along these lines), when they built the Haunted House, it was later discovered that the site contained a very small natural methane source, which sometimes causes a weak build up of the gas. If you're ever riding Duel and notice you can see natural light coming in from holes in the roof, these are air vents in the ceiling to vent any gas that may have built up.

It was aliens, they heard about AT from the Fantastical Express promotion, and thought they would visit but crashed. Their space ship was being moved to storage so Merlin can use it as the base for a new ride for 2014 :D

Towseriv said:
I heard they were clearing the coffins out of the cematary in the old extended duel queue line.

I may sound really stupid here, but a joke or the truth? If the latter, why would the Flume and ST be closed as they can store it in Duel Storage until being able to be removed whenever they want.

Anyway all in all speculation will always be speculation but the rides are back open again and everyone seems to be safe so let's look forward to Scarefest and (hopefully) move on and not dwell on this abysmal and complicated mess of the season.