• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Scarefest 2012

mrbrightside said:
As much as people hate the look of temporary marquees... what about placing one on the old site of Ug Swinger, strecthing back into the slightly cleared area between the trees? I don't know how much room is there but it could create an atmospheric area?

That would be great actually - some of the actors could patrol the area to the left of the Thirteen queueline for extra atmosphere as well; I've always wanted to see that.

There's plenty of space for the mazes to go. The ones I can think of off the top of my head are:

- The Hospitality Venue

- The pathway on the left of main drive before the towers arch which takes you to the back of Dark Forest (although this would be better as a scare zone I feel)

- Although a view killer and potentially very ugly (if the outside of the tent isn't themed) the lawns could easily hold one, maybe circus?

- Again it's in plain view of everything but the patch of grass by CRR along the access path which is normally for staff.

Mattiaaa said:
- Although a view killer and potentially very ugly (if the outside of the tent isn't themed) the lawns could easily hold one, maybe circus?

I posted back on TTF that a big top could be hired for the lawns (look at Chocolate Towers 2007) to hold the Circus scare maze. The cost of hiring may be an issue but they've done it before and I'm sure it would be no more worse than hiring a marquee for a few weeks.

I have my money on two mazes being in the Towers, one on Goalstriker and then I hope we see a fourth maze, preferably a free one. I'd like to see something done around Sub-Terra too. Not sure what though.

Scarefest is the big money spinner for Alton. The only way I feel they are going to create a great event is by expanding the offerings and improving the lighting around park (in other words, more themed lighting/gels being used!).

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Trouble with a tent on the Lawns is the fireworks event that happens only one day later, they need the lawns for viewing.

I think it will be 3 mazes again this year, with 2 in Towers and 1 in either the Hospitality tent (though it might be potentially booked for an event) or another location. The more i think about it the more the Goal Striker building seems ideal, it goes back further than it seems and looking at google its about the same size as the 2010 carnival space if you remeber only half of the tent was used for each maze.

I imagine there will be a 2nd scarezone or other extra attraction though.

Auditions are due for Scarefest this year, this email being sent out mere minutes ago by the Recruitment Team:

Are you ready to make NIGHTMARES come true?

Keep your diaries free because auditions for Alton Towers Resort's SCAREFEST, the UK's biggest and most terrifying Halloween event, are coming in August 2012!

We have roles in both scare and family attractions, so whatever your strength, experience, size or gender, whether you're after blood curdling or spooky fun, we want to see you at one of our open auditions.

Specific audition dates, information and locations will be announced soon. SCAREFEST 2012 runs on selected dates from 13th - 31st October, with rehearsals on varying dates between the 1st and 12th October. Interested candidates will need full availability for all dates.

Keep your eyes peeled and chainsaws revved - SCAREFEST is on its way!

I'm intrigued by the 'chainsaws revved' use here!

Oooh excellent! I know chainsaws were wanted at last years event but the then head of entertainments said no! They'll certainly help deliver a few extra scares this year if they are used!

:)

Heard good things about thorpe using chainsaws would like to see something bigger and better than the boiler house

Was just about to post about the 'Chainsaw Revved' thing, even though I would love to see them used, I really hope it isn't the generic 'I have a chainsaw, you have to run away from me, which then makes you run out the maze' approach. It's getting overused now. :-\

Chainsaws would be brilliant, just another additional scare to make the experience more intense. Obviously there would have to be some restraint though, as it would shorten the time should it be used throughout the entire maze because people would just run through.

Using tried and tested scare tactics is fine as long as they mix that with some interesting new stuff. I'm sure they will use them effectively if they do.

That said chainsaws are well known as a prop in Scare mazes so it may just be a throw-away comment and not a clue as to maze content (i wouldn't put it past them putting that in the advert so it got on here neither)

Isn't Goal Striker a bit small / used by HB Games? I would like to see the backstage area behind Duel used to hide the maze tent and the Duel extended queue used up as the maze queue. That would create a brilliant build-up!

The image below shows the relationship between Goal Striker and the Sub-Terra site in size. Obviously its not huge but its more than enough to have a scare maze in. The current Goal Striker only uses about half of the available space.

gs.png

Also with the goal strike has the zombie scare zone right next to it so they could extend into that area

Looks a similar size to some of the thorpe mazes to be honest... I mean look at the curse! That thing is minute! Perfectly possible!

josht said:
When do towers normally start setting up scarfest ??

They usually close the Towers for Terror of the Towers at the end of August. The rest of the Scare mazes should start construction in mid September.

Area near dark forest seems to to have less rubbish in it than usual... I wonder what for?

P1010466.JPG

P1010469.JPG

Hmm what would you use to battle a dark forest?? Chainsaw maybe...

stretchy said:
Area near dark forest seems to to have less rubbish in it than usual... I wonder what for?

P1010466.JPG

P1010469.JPG

You just gave me the hilarious image of some Ents dressed in tree costumes standing on either side of that pathway - I wouldn't put it past them! ;)

That are of Dark Forest would make a great scare maze - it would certainly help to split crowds between there and Forbidden Valley more evenly. Only thing I'm thinking of is wouldn't that area be required to be kept clear for staff access/emergency exits for the DF kiosks?

The Psychoaster said:
stretchy said:

P1010466.JPG

P1010469.JPG

You just gave me the hilarious image of some Ents dressed in tree costumes standing on either side of that pathway - I wouldn't put it past them! ;)

Did someone say a tree costume... they could always hire me! ;)

That could actually be a good place for another scare zone if they do plan on having a second one this year. Very interesting!