• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

SeaWorld Orlando: General Discussion

“Keep your hands and arms inside the ride at all times”
Also no doing Saturday Night Fever
B04CE7B3-7CD7-4109-9EBB-1649EE7C3238.png

(This is also the SeaWorld thread not the Busch Gardens one)

They're certainly cracking on with their transition away from animal shows towards big rides, and if this is a world's first B&M, then that's genuinely very exciting. At the same time I don't feel as excited about a new Sea World roller coaster as I would have done 10-15 years ago. Most of their recent coasters have either been very short, or very sparsely themed.

Looking forward to the Surf Coaster myself - New take on the stand up coaster. I'm sure it will be great. B&M haven't really brought a lot of new stuff to the market for a while but whenever they do it's usually amazing. There's a reason they are so popular with the major parks. The rides are reliable and usually big hits with the public.

I stand by my statement that this coaster will show us what is to come from B&M over the next decade or so. It's very key to what we can expect. Basically, I love B&M and this will likely be something really good and well thought out (look at the wing coaster). I imagine we will see quite a few of these in the future.

I've just returned from Orlando. It was our first visit and i have got to say, Sea World surprised me, in a good way. It does need more rides, but from what is there, it is high quality. I actually rate Mako higher than Shambhala and i thought Manta was incredible. Definitely not the tame experience you get with Galactica. Was nervous about Kraken being a headbanger but again, twas excellent and looked really fresh. Finally, Ice Breaker. For a ride aimed at families, it had a fair bit of airtime. Only let down is that the trains are very uncomfortable. Looking forward to getting back and trying this new B&M.

So based on the video it's basically a launched stand-up coaster. Couldn't notice anything too different from the 90s model other than newer restraints and only a 2 across configuration. Let's hope B&M have been tweaking the concept in a similar way Vekoma developed Fly to drastically improve on their old flyers.

Wasn't there a suggestion that the seat pillars had some sort of fluid motion to them ?

I don't think the stand up concept was inherently flawed, but the execution always felt somewhat clumsy, irrespective of the manufacturer.
Interesting, that's not something I heard of. Not sure quite how it could work but let's see.

And I agree as a concept I think Stand-up has merit. I've always wondered if they'd benefit from having a track layout made to suite the riding style. like how the Wingriders use large sweeping elements rather than a more traditional sitting or flawless layout.

Wasn't there a suggestion that the seat pillars had some sort of fluid motion to them ?

I don't think the stand up concept was inherently flawed, but the execution always felt somewhat clumsy, irrespective of the manufacturer.
Yes patents for this (and a yet to be used new sit down coaster design) show hydraulic cylinders that work vertically to absorb the stresses of the ride, making it both smoother and giving some range of motion to the seats themselves.

You have to say B and M have played a blinder with this.

Phase 1: Develop and sell stand up coasters to parks

Phase 2: Make money converting the majority of stand up coasters to sit down floor less.

Phase 3: Develop a new stand up coaster to sell to parks and start the process all over again.