• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Secret Weapon 7 Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
The plans probably have some truth to them, so the height is probably correct and the ride type is correct. The actually layout may change a bit, but I cannot see them doing anything to drastic as they may find themselves in trouble over how much noise it might make and other issues. The only thing I can actually see them changing is the station area.

I'm still holding out for some form of Wicked style vertical launch if I'm honest. People said that the curve at the top is far too tight to permit this on the plans, but I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the plans have been intentionally done that way the throw us off the scent, and rule out the idea.

While a much smaller ride Black Hole managed fine off of the power supply in the area just fine. Why does this ride suddenly require a new substation to be installed unless they are planning on having a much higher power consumption?.. And yes, I realise that the infrastructure is dated and needs updating where possible, but surely if they felt they could avoid the expense it would have made sense to do so?

I just think there's more to this ride than meets the eye (And not just inside the building). Towers are definitely up to something here. I'm certain of it...

Ian said:
I'm still holding out for some form of Wicked style vertical launch if I'm honest. People said that the curve at the top is far too tight to permit this on the plans, but I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the plans have been intentionally done that way the throw us off the scent, and rule out the idea.

While a much smaller ride Black Hole managed fine off of the power supply in the area just fine. Why does this ride suddenly require a new substation to be installed unless they are planning on having a much higher power consumption?.. And yes, I realise that the infrastructure is dated and needs updating where possible, but surely if they felt they could avoid the expense it would have made sense to do so?

I just think there's more to this ride than meets the eye (And not just inside the building). Towers are definitely up to something here. I'm certain of it...

Using that logic suggests some kind of LIM launch - one that requires large amounts of electricity to power the electromagnets. Very interesting if you think about it that way - although of course SW7 is going to be much more substantial than the Black Hole was and so a new substation might just be seen as a given for a project like it these days.

Makes sense I guess. Black hole has powered cars that got their power from a powered rail up the spiral lift. Surely that would need a fair bit of power, so the old substation I would have guessed should of been fine. Maybe they wanted to just upgrade it though due to the recent power issues on park.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Mi-Nigle said:
The Black Hole had powered cars?? I just assumed it had kicker wheels. Odd design.

A strange but clever design. The alternative would be to have a million sets of tyres all the way up the spiral lift requiring a million electric motors or a complex and unreliable linkage system.

The solution used was much more elegant. This way, you only need as many motors and tyres as you do cars and if any of the motors burn out, the car can be removed from the track allowing operation to continue. It also means that no friction wheels are needed in the station or on the brakes.

So overall, this system improves reliability, reduces manufacturing costs, reduces operating costs, makes it easier to maintain, makes it easier to transport and probably saves on power too as the motors only work when they need to.

Schwarzkopf knew what they were doing.

Gerstlauer LIM launch is low powered with stored energy you can compare by using their website:

Launched Eurofighter:

Takabisha: 330 kW/h
Mystery Mine 240kW/h

Launched Coaster:

Lynet: 120 kW per launch
Anubis The Ride: 200 kW per launch

Eurofighter:

SAW: 140 kW/h
Rage: 90 kW/h
Iron Shark 110 kW/h

To compare:

Kingda Ka 7,500 kW per launch
Thirteen 150 kW per launch

I'd imagine the substation was removed for 2 reasons...

• Convenience to have more freedom to build the coaster
  • Old infrastructure would of required an upgrade eventually

Personally, I strongly believe the first lift hill will be launched allowing the roller-coaster car to reach the crest and freefall the remainder of the track. Whilst the second will be your bog standard vertical lift. Why? Well the first lift seems quite drawn out and long, whilst we know the vertical lifts are pretty quick during there climb, I see them matching the climb speed by launching the first lift hill.

Quick side question and probably compltely off topic, but does anyone know how Wicked prevents or deals with a stall on that vertical launch?

I'd guess that the brakes along the vertical section slows the car down and then allows it to roll back to the horizontal section behind for the comfort of those on the ride, as opposed to holding them up facing the sky. It'd probably be easier to get people off the ride if whatever had gone wrong couldn't be fixed quickly, or it was something major, etc...

normal_IMG_2620.JPG

l1bpk2hgtqpgrjk001ncmm.jpg

mqdefault.jpg

Not the best quality images I know. :p

A quick Facebook update from the 'Ride Entertainment Group of Companies', who own Gerstlauer.

"Gerstlauer is hard at work building some great rides for 2013"

45304_426140227421951_1648968764_n.jpg

SW7 track perhaps? :)

It could be. I'm just trying to think about where that bit of track could appear on the SW7 layout. Seeing as it goes from bi-rail to tri-rail part of the way along, I'd hazard a guess at it being one of the inversions.

Main drop as a guess. Most of the drops go bi rail to tri rail.
Canobie-Lake-Euro-Fighter-2011-Coaster-2-300x225.jpg

Belantis+First+Ride.jpg

Saying that, it seems to change banking a bit after having a closer look.

Just throwing this out there, the "bi-rail" could be unfinished tri-rail with the tubing on the floor being the spine. However, the pattern of diagonals between the ties does seem to match up with the pictures of drops.

CGM said:
Just throwing this out there, the "bi-rail" could be unfinished tri-rail with the tubing on the floor being the spine. However, the pattern of diagonals between the ties does seem to match up with the pictures of drops.
That was what I thought when viewing the picture too... Particularly as the track piece looks rather unfinished.

I've heard the marketing for SW7 is starting tomorrow :) Will anyone be at the park to report back any updates from any going on around the park ?

Im going to be about a mile away from the X-sector site, but alas I won't actually be on park, but instead taking my doggy a walk through the valley. Could pop in though maybe as Im that way.

BigDave said:
Im going to be about a mile away from the X-sector site, but alas I won't actually be on park, but instead taking my doggy a walk through the valley. Could pop in though maybe as Im that way.

Please do :) if what i've heard is true you might want to take a camera too :p

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.