• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Secret Weapon 7 Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
The Psychoaster said:
Fredward said:
Same budget coaster.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Alton aren't cheesy though, I always perceive it as being more dignified than Thorpe. The hard worker in the class, as opposed to the dosser that doesn't seem to do any work but gets just as many marks.
You say this... but with the Merlin convergence over the years the two are meeting in the middle somewhat. Alton getting less attention and Thorpe upping their game.

That's due to park run marketting teams, not merlin.

Merlin wouldn't of hired ymas, the may have approved the paper work though....

I didn't necessarily mean around the marketing... I meant the parks in general. Alton is seeming more run-down while people visiting Thorpe are commenting on how it's the best it has been in years.

But that's still down to park operations,

I think all Merlin do is finance and approve things. (in short)

Could be wrong though.

It's not on topic but I often think Merlin favour Thorpe at times over Towers... They forced Storm Surge upon the park and after Thorpe got angry at them they were treated to an incredible B&M Wingrider with some fantastic theming...

I'm not saying there actually is bias, but it seems like Merlin have focussed more on Thorpe than Towers of late - in order to bring the two more level?

I'm not quite sure that's how they got the swarm... It wasn't a gift like you're implying. It was there large investment year, Alton get it next year same money.

Thorpes cheaper to run and is closer to London. In a way isn't it better to look more favourably on it during the London celebrations...

mrbrightside said:
It's not on topic but I often think Merlin favour Thorpe at times over Towers... They forced Storm Surge upon the park and after Thorpe got angry at them they were treated to an incredible B&M Wingrider with some fantastic theming...

So the B&M wingrider was conceived and designed in 2 months so plans could be submitted and construction could start then if it was an apology for Storm Surge... Not quite sure that is what happened somehow.

Since 2008 here is a comparison

Alton Thorpe
2008 Mutiny Bay Changed a 4D film
2009 Shark Bait Reef and CCL Saw the Ride
2010 Th13teen Saw Live
2011 Crabs Storm Surge
2012 Sub-Terra & 4D cinema The Swarm
2013 SW7 Unknown

So they are fairly balanced really, in fact if you ignore 2011 which we know was due to plans falling through last minute Alton certainly get better funding in the non-coaster years. Thorpe is always very lean between coasters with only a scare maze and a 2nd hand water slide being installed.

Dave said:
mrbrightside said:

So the B&M wingrider was conceived and designed in 2 months so plans could be submitted and construction could start then if it was an apology for Storm Surge... Not quite sure that is what happened somehow.

Since 2008 here is a comparison

Alton Thorpe
2008 Mutiny Bay Changed a 4D film
2009 Shark Bait Reef and CCL Saw the Ride
2010 Th13teen Saw Live
2011 Crabs Storm Surge
2012 Sub-Terra & 4D cinema The Swarm
2013 SW7 Unknown

So they are fairly balanced really, in fact if you ignore 2011 which we know was due to plans falling through last minute Alton certainly get better funding in the non-coaster years. Thorpe is always very lean between coasters with only a scare maze and a 2nd hand water slide being installed.
At the time I thought that Thorpe had been installing a lot more than towers but it looks like a steady cycle going on between them both

Generally Alton has always been given the more generous budgets. Even pre Merlin Alton has always been the flagship park. Merlin are aware of its importance (and reputation) in the UK market so will continue to heavily invest in future.

I think we should be glad they add something or re-theme areas year on year. The uproar in 2011 was quite shocking, there seems to be snobbery that they must invest each year. Many other parks, even major ones do not add things year on year so the fact Alton get to do this is pretty special.

Back on topic... My main concern for SW7 at the moment is theming. Depending on what the world's first is I worry a large chunk of the budget could be eaten by the hardware of SW7 and we will be left with theming being cut (look at Th13teen). The plans look rather impressive theming wise so I hope it all goes as planned. The only thing I'm not happy with is the station building. The shipping container looking part of the building could look awful, and this is really something I don't want to see with SW7.

I wonder what's going to happen with the X-Sector theme overall...

I hope that it fits in with x-sector, as it could cost a lot to retheme oblivion ect.

alee298 said:
I hope that it fits in with x-sector, as it could cost a lot to retheme oblivion ect.

It is meant to fit in with X-Sector I believe - or at least I would assume so having seen the theming elements and station building description. I believe it instructed the texturing of the building to be in line with the current "dirty concrete" look of the current X-Sector.

The Psychoaster said:
alee298 said:

It is meant to fit in with X-Sector I believe - or at least I would assume so having seen the theming elements and station building description. I believe it instructed the texturing of the building to be in line with the current "dirty concrete" look of the current X-Sector.

It doesn't fit with X-Sector in the slightest.

This may sound very daft, but I'm as excited to see the giant spider in the middle of the ride as I am to see the first bit of track go up.

I do wonder though what will be inside, and will it be special enough after th13teen to market well enough or will Alton just be seen to be repeating themselves? Will the general public just see that a section in the dark is common across both rides and expect much of the same?

Just hope the giant spider stays regardless of budget.

I have reasons to believe that the theming seen on the plans will be what is included in the final ride as:

-Alton want this to be their next big ride, and without the good theming, it can not accomplish this! Theming is an essential part of a world-class ride.
-The SWARM has great theming, and Alton would complain at Merlin for not being given the same budget as Thorpe were, so they can't get the visitor numbers. Removing the theming would back-fire on Merlin!
-The theming could be a big part of the ride story, especially the giant spider. There is simply no point in having it if it doesn't fit in. The giant spider is probably the most important part of the theming, as it's so big and interacts with the ride so much.

CoasterCrazyChris said:
The Psychoaster said:
alee298 said:

It doesn't fit with X-Sector in the slightest.

It is meant to though, given the fact that the colouring is supposed to be in line with what we see on Oblivion and around the rest of the area.

It's a lot more run down in appearance and architecture than the rest of X-Sector.

It remains to be seen if there's a valid thematic reason for this or they're just lazy/ignorant of what X-Sector was originally supposed to be about.

Blaze said:
It's a lot more run down in appearance and architecture than the rest of X-Sector.
you say that but it does match the way X Sector currently looks... Regardless of whether it should look like that or not :/

These are two photos from the Towers Street facebook page, taken on Saturday:

282654_355799014490549_1031245478_n.jpg

553096_355798961157221_1863587699_n.jpg

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.