• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Secret Weapon 7 Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Ahhh ha-ha right I gotcha (and that post made me laugh - in a good way lol).

I wonder, they throw this survey out to the GP, it would be nice for them to approach the forums directly and ask our opinions.

We are the most passionate, and arguably knowledgeable, corner of the public - it would be nice for them to aim one directly here. I noticed some tweets just asking what people were doing now the season is ended, which is nice to still engage with the public, but with that time available to do that, I think they could utilise the good will of many on here further in gaining a different, unique perspective on how SW7 has been received thus far marketing wise, and many of us would welcome the chance to be of help.

So come on AT. If you read this forum, which I would suspect you do, engage with us normal forum goers and get some meaty feedback.

(Obviously I don't say this trying to represent the site in an official capacity, their views may differ, I say this simply as someone who enjoys engaging in good debate and discussion here).

Also, thanks to the "coasters that never were" that led via Jonathon to this brilliant succinct article by Sam

http://www.towersstreet.com/talk/talbot-street/sw7-the-schwarzkopf-connection/msg2680/#msg2680

I had given no thought at all, to the link between the very first SW's and SW7. All those unfamiliar, and those who hadn't considered it, should check that thread out.

I really had not considered SW7 from this angle. This could be a game changer, and those who know the story, may well finally get an answer to whether the original SW concept, might actually have been superior to Nemesis!

Of course, Nemesis is just beautiful, so having both even with one being over decade later, is most preferable!

None the less. Could SW7 take the enthusiasts award?

Having a wonder round all the track today, there is so many bits of amazing track/supports its going to shape up to be one great ride :)

Hello one and all! This my first post on this forum, So please forgive my interuption :)

I attended this years scarefest on 2 occasions and now the season is sadly over I have started to scan the net for news on AT's latest masterpiece. Which is lucky as it has lead me to this fantastic site and forum! I look forward to reading and contributing to lots of exciting discussion and debate on SW7 over the winter period!

Ok, here are some thoughts: I personally think the "Smiler" name is quite apt considering the theme and logo AT have tied to SW7. The taglines for the sanctuary "lost your smile?" "get corrected" and ministry of joy institute all fit very nicely with the use of "the smiler" as a correctional tool (the coaster) for the mentally unstable (as mentioned earlier by another member)

The debate about the plans is also interesting, I would agree the plans are probably "rough" except for some main elements such as the cobra roll and large building locations. I too saw the concrete walls and somewhat deep holes that
were not obvious on the plans. The example photographs a few posts back do show (although very loose) a general and very plausable fit with current excavation.

josht said:
Having a wonder round all the track today, there is so many bits of amazing track/supports its going to shape up to be one great ride :)

Josht, there seem to be some slightly square/rectangular, colourful objects missing from that post of yours!

Hint hint....

;D

(Clue: They rhyme with BlotoChaff)

ALSO: Welcome Osaka12

Osaka12 said:
Hello one and all! This my first post on this forum, So please forgive my interuption :)

I attended this years scarefest on 2 occasions and now the season is sadly over I have started to scan the net for news on AT's latest masterpiece. Which is lucky as it has lead me to this fantastic site and forum! I look forward to reading and contributing to lots of exciting discussion and debate on SW7 over the winter period!

Ok, here are some thoughts: I personally think the "Smiler" name is quite apt considering the theme and logo AT have tied to SW7. The taglines for the sanctuary "lost your smile?" "get corrected" and ministry of joy institute all fit very nicely with the use of "the smiler" as a correctional tool (the coaster) for the mentally unstable (as mentioned earlier by another member)

The debate about the plans is also interesting, I would agree the plans are probably "rough" except for some main elements such as the cobra roll and large building locations. I too saw the concrete walls and somewhat deep holes that
were not obvious on the plans. The example photographs a few posts back do show (although very loose) a general and very plausable fit with current excavation.

Welcome to the forum! I agree with you that "Smiler" on its own would be a pretty good name, it's just the "the" that precedes it in the trademark that makes me slightly worried. If all the other major coasters at AT were preceded by "the" then perhaps it would be consistent, but the fact is that none of them are. It just wouldn't sound right in comparison with the likes of Air, Oblivion, Nemesis etc.

TheMan said:
josht said:

Josht, there seem to be some slightly square/rectangular, colourful objects missing from that post of yours!

Hint hint....

;D

(Clue: They rhyme with BlotoChaff)

ALSO: Welcome Osaka12
Yeah always have trouble uploading them from my phone and I forgot my camera :)

I still think that 'The Smiler' is in fact the Logo that has been trademarked and not the actual ride name...after all when has AT ever let a ride name leak this early ??

I dont mind the name The Smiler if in fact it turns out to the ride name...I am sure it will grow on us all :)

it can never be as Bad as the ride name Rita and that has grown on us all....hasn't it ??? :p

josht said:
Yeah always have trouble uploading them from my phone and I forgot my camera :)

What kind of excuse is that! ;D - ;)

nemmychic said:
I still think that 'The Smiler' is in fact the Logo that has been trademarked and not the actual ride name...after all when has AT ever let a ride name leak this early ??

They didn't Chic, it was some good detective work, and the TMs were actually found hiding in Italy or something ridiculous like that I think lol! (It's back a fair few pages I believe, with photo evidence). Also, it seemed to reside in the same place that other ride names were for the Merlin group.

It is pretty strongly suggesting the name really, it certainly wasn't a deliberate leak though - just great work by one of the forums diggers lol! ;D

I still love the name, I know it divides opinion, but Mags and Craig made reference to it could be a kind of corrective contraption, which makes it quite funny. I've said this a few pages back too, but the context of the ride will either make or break that name in my opinion, and it's probably the first one, where the context has been this important. Which also, seems to divide opinion!

Anyway now I've read, that in fact, it may be a nod and a throwback to the original SW concepts pre-nemesis, as some kind of Wardley swansong - well, this could be one almighty coaster.

How can anyone say that 'the smiler' sounds like a kiddie ride? It is really rather sinister and i agree that it sounds like a piece of correction equipment. Face it, if in 2014 a new kiddie coaster was built and we called it the smiler you would all be hating on that more than this. Seriously ::)

It could just be another Merlin project that just coincidentually happens to be the same type of thing as the sancuary?
-crosses fingers-

Hi and thanks for the welcome :)

It did cross my mind that they may have TM'd the actual smiling logo fr SW7, and this would make sense if it is the biggest coaster since Nemesis, so lets not be too hasty and dispell that idea. But given the evidence of this TM being bought the same way as other SW's there is some credability to it being the coasters name... I guess we won't know until AT decide to tell us.

I haven't really posted an opinion on 'The Smiler' being a possible name yet so here goes...

I'm in two minds about it to be honest. I think it does sound incredibly sinister and could work fantastically within a wider MoJ storyline relating to Dr Kelman and his social compliance experiments, however that would involve a complex storyline that is not easily noticable at first. The best rides are those that instantly make sense without having to make people think for ages.

That's not to say rides shouldn't have complex stories, but more that the story should be there to discover for those who want to... rather than being intrinsic to understanding the rides theme.

I'am certain The Smiler is the name for sw7 !

What if the coaster itself wasn't named ? A little like Nemesis, Nemesis is the name of the monster that the track surrounds, or at least thats the impression i get, so Maybe The Smiler could be the name of the BIG Spider like theming sat in the centre of the rides layout ? The spider could be the ministry of joy's latest technologically advanced piece of equipment in making humans Smile. Though how i haven't worked out yet :)

Nemesismad said:
The spider could be the ministry of joy's latest technologically advanced piece of equipment in making humans Smile.

I think we'll all be smiling at the sight of it next year, if Merlin don't have rid of it due to budget cuts.

Heh cool idea Nemesismad, I forgot about the spider theming element!... could be a cool industrial sized correctional machine, with the track acting as some sort of conveyor or sorting mechanism lol.

Dave said:
Can we edge back towards topic, there are topics around discussing the marketing imagery of the resort.

Many thanks
not used Towersstreet much, more out of habit just end up on TT, but fed up with their censorship - please don't start doing this...

jamesm74 said:
Dave said:
Can we edge back towards topic, there are topics around discussing the marketing imagery of the resort.

Many thanks
not used Towersstreet much, more out of habit just end up on TT, but fed up with their censorship - please don't start doing this...

All forums work by keeping topics on track and ensuring things don't go too far off topic for too long, this is so that people can get to the information they want based on the topic titles. We generally allow some discussion that goes off topic as thats the nature of discussion (everynow and then something relates to the topic). However the graphics on a questionnaire where completely removed from SW7, thats why we we highlighted.

As said this isn't censorship as there are topics that discus those points and if there isn't then one can always be created allowing for more discussion. Its always a really tricky balance getting it right but if your ever unsure you can always PM a team member or pop a question in Guest Services

:D

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.