• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Silver Dollar City: General Discussion

Never mind, I've found a comment on TPR that states that the holes are there to provide access to the bolts that attach the metal topper to the wood underneath it.

Also, here are a few more images that look pretty nice!

SDC4.png

outlaw-run-down-first-drop.jpg

Well that's a drop and a half!

silver-dollar-city-wooden-roller-coaster7.jpg

122900d1344544620-9.jpg

I know this is only artwork, but those cars!

I'd love to see the Alton Towers valley woodie concepts brought back and let Rocky Mountain have a go at something to fit the awesome terrain and beautiful setting. If New Texas Giant is anything to go off, these new types of wooden coasters are extremely smooth, super quiet (especially if you add scream-shields :p ) and amazingly good fun! It would also finally let Mr Wardley attempt his dream at bringing a wooden coaster to a park that could really do with a woodie, which happens to be located in a county that hasn't had a wooden coaster in over a decade. I still think Merlin would be too afraid of giving up money for one, but if they did...

*drool*

Please, Merlin! Give us a terrain-hugging Rocky Mountain Woodie with the world's largest drop on a wooden coaster! And some nice cars too!

;D

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtbCi6xts7s&feature=player_embedded#![/youtube]

*more drool*

This is the ride that has my interest at the moment. The debate over steel and wood is something I think is an interesting one for enthusiasts but kind of redundant for the general public who will see this as a truly insane example of a wooden coaster..

The whole layout is just crazy and like most have already said is one which we all hope will stay together and ride like it looks which is just beautiful. I have to admit though I do lean towards the group of people who are skeptical of the rides tolerance to the forces and construction techniques that we hope will stand strong unlike Son of Beast..

This certainly opens up a new class of coaster, "Hybrid" is a good term to use.

Like I said before though I think the most interesting factor will be how the general public and average Joe will interpret the design and layout in front of them. As we know from survey results not just for Alton but other parks like Paultons the public see's wood as old, unsafe, uncomfortable and noisy in some capacity. Its going to be a real thrill and extreme adrenaline experience to ride a wooden coaster with this layout and might just capture peoples imagination for danger and thrills.

As much as a coaster like this would surely have its place at somewhere like Thorpe being the "Extreme Capital" park the UK survey would surely have a more extreme negative reaction to an inverting wooden coaster. Though I very much hope I am wrong. I think Alton needs a traditional coaster not one like this and that it really would make a perfect addition to Thorpe.

I would hope the company has the confidence in its construction technique and technology not just to pull it off but to stand the test of time that has caught out so many great prototypes / firsts (The Bat and Son of Beast spring to mind)...

I am genuinely following construction with interest, intrigue, excitement and hope that it does succeed.

I assume this will have a completely new design of rolling stock / restraint system for the forces its expected to withstand and level of comfort the modern park goer expects...

Cant wait to see a testing video and the sound it will produce. :eek: just bat poo INSANE!!

Will someone email Merlin about this? ;)
I'd love to see their faces!

Unsafe-So inversions are added.

Clearly unsafe!

Another recreation of this stunning roller coaster:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgYxhSIizug[/youtube]

If these recreations are anything to go off, this ride is going to be pretty damn quick!

;D

:eek:

Wow. This just looks insane. I know I've said that before, but every time I see it, it genuinely does shock and surprise me that stuff like this is even possible with wood.

DiogoJ42 said:
It's too good to be true. I reckon this whole thing is just a troll.

It'd be the best troll in history. And possibly the most expensive one too! :p

Dear God! Even disregarding the inversions, the speed in combination with those ridiculous overbanked turns would make this an insane woodie :eek:

Track is complete!

image_12.jpg

image_22.jpg

image_32.jpg

image_42.jpg

image_52.jpg

image_62.jpg

image_72.jpg

image_82.jpg

image_92.jpg

There's also a little video here for y'all:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5zcePfwJeA&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

Is it weird that I'm more excited about this than SW7, even though I won't be able to go on this for some years? :p

Had another look at the NL recreation and I have to say, this is going to be one hell of a coaster. The sheer speed of the thing, its constant close proximity to the ground and the insane elements are all going to be amazing.

The fact that nobody in the UK, or even Europe for that matter, is thinking of building one of these is just down right criminal!

:p

Danny said:

This hill looks like it shouldn't be allowed! That's just insane.

What I love about this coaster is that it's not just pushing the boundaries for wooden coasters, no coaster wood or steel has featured these sorts of elements before.

RMC have been seriously impressive in their relatively short existence as a coaster manufacturer and with Outlaw Run, assuming it will be a success, they will have completely changed the game when it comes to wooden coasters. This for me is the most exciting wooden coaster since the 2006 combo of Voyage and El Toro.

I'd love to see what RMC could do with a purely steel coaster model.

BigAl said:
Is it weird that I'm more excited about this than SW7, even though I won't be able to go on this for some years?
You are not the only one. And I'm in the "woodies are boring and outdated" camp... Yet SW7 looks boring and outdated in comparison to this! :p
Something about those turns reminds me of The Ultimate. In other words, it's wrong on so many levels that is somehow seems right.

It's a shame that I will never get to ride it :(

Most coasters look old hat in comparison to this. New Texas Giant gets great reviews and this new coaster looks even better, so it's probably going to be one of the greatest coasters in the US, if not the world!

And I wouldn't worry about not ever being to ride it. It hasn't even opened yet and I'm sure it'll be arround for a good number of decades to come.

:)

CGM said:
This hill looks like it shouldn't be allowed! That's just insane.

The whole ride shouldn't be allowed! And that's why I'd quite happily give it a go :p

And people think normal wooden coasters look unsafe, this one just looks completely not structurally sound...

Not surprised Europe aren't building one... Would much rather a GCI...

I wouldn't worry about the structure of this coaster. It'll be just as strong, if not stronger than a regular woodie. We have regular GCI coasters in Europe, so something different and more unique would be better.

I'm not sure why people say "looks unsafe" about a woodie built in the modern day anyway? Granted, SoB has tarnished the image although I'm pretty sure that was structurally safe after the loop was removed - and just carried the unfortunate persona after that woman complained a few years back. Engineers are precise, they wouldn't design something if it weren't able to handle the stresses and strains placed upon it in day to day use - just because something is made of wood rather than steel shouldn't change this.