• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Tennis Discussion

Nadal. Is. OUT!

:eek:

Incredible stuff... I'd say it makes Murray's route to the final easier, but the way the guy was playing - he's incredible!

Wow, I didn't expect that. This surely gives Murray some chance in the Semi's now. Unlike the Euro's with England, I think this could actually be his year (or at least in the final anyway).

Lets not get carried away, Murray has to win 3 more matches before he even gets to the semis, and there are plenty of players that could still beat him on his side of the draw on their day.

Still, this has to be one of the biggest shocks I can think of at Wimbledon. It'll certainly be a long time before we see a bigger upset.

Rosol was incredible. He made Nadal look average and whilst he may not have been playing his best, that's still some feat. The way he played was almost scary. A 99 mph backhand? What is this man!?

He is an utter machine, although I don't think he will be consistent enough to win it. That final game though - it took some bottle to ace Nadal on match point in the biggest game of his life.

Federer is currently 2 sets down against Benneteau!

Break up in the 3rd though, but not looking his best by any means.

EDIT: OK he broke serve for a second time (to love!) and is now 4-0 up in the third...

EDIT: The Fed's won the third set very convincingly. This one should be going the distance now, and when that happens, I can only see one outcome.

Comfortable victory for the Fed in the end, didn't really expect him to falter after the third set. Still looking good for a Djokovic vs Federer semi-final.

Benneteau did put up a good fight, but I think a knee injury in the second set started to flare up in the final one, hence why Federer managed to win the last set 6-1. Federer's next got Xavier Malisse of Belgium, who has beaten the thirteenth seed, Gilles Simon of France, in straight sets, and the seventeenth seed, Fernando Verdasco of Spain, in five, so Federer could be in for a tough ride...

Jonathan said:
Benneteau did put up a good fight, but I think a knee injury in the second set started to flare up in the final one, hence why Federer managed to win the last set 6-1. Federer's next got Xavier Malisse of Belgium, who has beaten the thirteenth seed, Gilles Simon of France, in straight sets, and the seventeenth seed, Fernando Verdasco of Spain, in five, so Federer could b e in for a tough ride...

Verdasco was playing really well as well, I expected to see him at least in the fourth round. Malisse is a very good player, although seemingly playing above his level at the moment. I remember Murray beating him on grass at Queens last year, he didn't look too brilliant then.

A wee bit anxious about Murray v Baghdatis considering the way other matches involving the top 4 have gone recently... Could the crowd on Centre be seeing their third late-night 5 setter in 3 days?

Baghdatis to test Murray like he did with Djokovic last year but Murray'll steal the show once the crowd get behind him due to a sluggish start. Don't expect straight sets anyone!

Andy Murray has just won the first set against Marcos Baghdatis.

EDIT: Just after 11pm, the deadline for play to stop at Wimbledon, Andy Murray has won in four sets, beating Marcos Baghdatis 7-5 3-6 7-5 6-1.

Stelios said:
Baghdatis to test Murray like he did with Djokovic last year but Murray'll steal the show once the crowd get behind him due to a sluggish start. Don't expect straight sets anyone!

Great prediction! Murray didn't start brilliantly although managed to clinch the first set, however he lost the second and Baghdatis was looking great. Towards the end though he seemed to mentally go, more and more of his shots tended to go wide and Murray began to take advantage - and the crowd, the situation and his own fitness showed through in the end with a comfortable final set. He only just nicked it before the 11pm deadline as well, quite incredible that he managed to get through the last 4 or 5 games of the last set in 20 minutes.

Play suspended in the middle of Murray vs Cilic - with Murray a set and a break up. Let's hope it can continue today otherwise he will be at quite a disadvantage should he get through.

So we now know the semi-finals:

Djokovic Vs Federer
Murray Vs Tsonga

I get the feeling that whoever wins the first match will win the title. Murray has a good chance of making the final (better than he would against Nadal), but Tsonga will certainly not be a pushover.