• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Alton Towers Dungeon

What annoys me about this is that people have been wanting a new dark ride for ages. Instead of coming up with a new, innovative design based on a new storyline, instead we get the dungeons.

At a guess, a chunk of the money for this will no doubt partially come from the Midway side of the business meaning Towers aren't putting as much up directly. Couple that with Merlin's massive push toward installing midways everywhere. Not that I'm agreeing with the choice of putting this in, just trying to suggest why it's this over a dark ride...

From TowersStreet News:

With just a few weeks remaining of the 2019 season, Alton Towers have now confirmed that The Alton Towers Dungeon will be arriving in 2019.

Rumours have swirled regarding a Dungeon attraction for some time, with a trademark submission for Alton Towers Dungeon being submitted in June this year. The long closed Charlie and the Chocolate Factory site has stood unused since the end of the 2015 season, after the resort initially announced a temporary closure for the 2016 season.

Recent weeks have seen activity increase around the ride, with a Merlin Magic Making trailer and various being positioned outside, indicating work being carried out inside. Sources strongly suggest this will be the location of the new attraction.

Further information on the attraction will no doubt be available in the coming months. In the meantime, the resort have launched a teaser page on the official site. Further promotional posters will be appearing at the park over this coming weekend.

I don't even think 'Dungeons' are a terrible IP for the park. They're okay attractions, and I've no issue with Merlin brand crossover. I still think Lego Towers is a cool idea.

The issue is if this is a paid for attraction in the heart of the theme park. It's wholly inappropriate, will leave a bad taste in just about everybody's mouth, and could only be used in closed-season with a 45 minute hike from the hotels.

So my thoughts – aside from the fact that this isn’t exactly ideal, I am still curious to see how it is integrated into the existing CCL area. If the surrounding area isn’t properly themed, I’ll be disappointed. I expect something to happen to Burger Kitchen at the very least. If it is an up charge attraction, I won’t be doing it. Time during the operating day is too limited and I’m not paying extra to do the Dungeon if it’ll mean I miss out on doing other stuff that I’ve already paid for.

If this isn't an upcharge then I'm not entirely against this. I'm cautiously optimistic that it could be a solid attraction if done right.

I agree that this is the wrong location for it though. I'm worried that it won't be integrated into the area well at all. I'd like to see a complete retheme of CCL but that won't happen.

And if it is an upcharge, then forget it as I won't be doing it.

I do enjoy dungeons but honestly don't see how I would be able to fit in a visit. It's hard enough getting on all the rides sometimes. And also wouldn't be going if it is an upcharge attraction.

Interesting stuff, most off all, how they plan to incorporate the tech that's already inside the building.

Plus a potential use of sub terra drop?

Would pay tbh, but would probably be a once every 2-3 year thing for me. Enjoyed the Warwick castle dungeon.

Im still hoping for the same ride system but with a dungeons pre show and dungeons scenes. IMO if it's this and not an upcharge it would be a decent attraction

I don't see how, unless it's an upcharge, how they could include any more than just the ride element from other dungeons. Otherwise the throughputs would be biblically bad.

I think it will be an up charge personally. They did ask that on the questionnaire during the season too so we need to brace ourselves.

Awful idea if they do charge extra and I won't be going anywhere near the place. I no longer visit on peak days so I wouldn't be interested in eating into an already short off peak day to do a dungeon attraction.

But Dungeons IS a family attraction?

It's a stupid addition, but it is for families nowadays with the Horrible Histories style it puts on...

I was just about to say, the Dungeons are aimed at families with older kids, aren't they?

I'd say they are aimed at the 11+ market. which is already catered for well on park. Dungeons aren't really suitable for the 5 - 9 market in which there is almost naff all to do on park for them.

Exactly.

My lad is a few years away from being big enough to ride the B&M's and also now bored of Cbeebies. A Charlie style ride is badly needed in the park again since it stopped operating. Even if they had to re-theme it.

I don't think a Dungeons is the wisest choice. Definitely the cheap and easy choice though so of course they've gone with it.