• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The I Feel Down Topic.

Sam, do you have easy access to a counselling service via school/college/work. failing that go and talk to your GP.

As i seriously think you need to find out why you always feel low, as soon as possible. One of the most important thing in your life is your mental health.

delta79 said:
Sam, do you have easy access to a counselling service via school/college/work. failing that go and talk to your GP.

As i seriously think you need to find out why you always feel low, as soon as possible. One of the most important thing in your life is your mental health.

I've done counselling twice. And have been to see my GP dozens of times. I've been on 6 different anti-depressants, and none of them work. They just make you feel nothing, completely soulless. A non-person.

I really don't know what to do now. I'd like to try electro-shock therapy, but it's so hard to get. Heard a piece on the radio by Dr David Nutt about how magic mushrooms might help with depression, maybe I should try that.

I teach drums at a shop in Bognor Regis for a job. But last summer due to housing contracts I didn't have a home in Chichester or Bognor, so had to head back to sunny Gosport and spend time in Guildford.

During this time, another student at the university a year below me covered the few students that decided to carry on while I wasn't there, which is fine. What isn't fine is this guy has now taken one of my students. The student wanted lessons during the week and he went ahead and finalized it without even asking me whether it was okay despite the fact that he was a TEMP! Now, I don't know whether the student preferred him or not (I highly doubt it, as my other students were complaining about his teaching and were glad to have me back) but either way this is ridiculous. They're my students that I started to teach from scratch and it's my income for university.

Because of this I'm now £9.50 down a week, and I'm an incredibly pissed off and distressed man.

*RAGE RAGE RAGE*

All of this has been completely out of my control... Luckily my boss is furious with him which has made me a little bit happier...

:(

My apologies, I just needed to vent.

Sam - I would be very wary of turning to a yet to be proven medicinal solution such as the magic mushrooms.

I think I know how you feel, with my own depression, even when I surround myself with my closest of friends I feel desperately isolated and detached, even on the good days.

I'm sorry to say that I have very little to offer in terms of advise as it's a daily struggle for me too. The best thing I seem to have that gives me temporary relief is to try and exorcise these feelings in creating some 'art' or scrawling in a sketch book. That's a personal thing though and again is only helpful in the very short term, but maybe you could consider venting more extreme feelings into some creative form to see if it reaps any benefits. That's all I've got, I'm afraid.

From my experience, I've found it very hard to open up to anyone at my worst, but if you ever want to talk to someone caught up in a similar sort of emotional situation, you could drop me a PM as I'm more than willing to talk any time. :)

A friend of mine has just been diagnosed with cancer in the oesophagus that has spread to his liver and lymph nodes, making it inoperable. He has been told that chemo with extend his life by aprox 9 months.

The one thing that really hits me is. I spent many an hour talking to him about my step daughters fight with Acute myeloid leukemia (AML) then doing an interview with him about her death due to it.

I work with both his brother and sister in law, and when the news broke at work. I was put forward to chat with them over it as 1) I have been there 2) No one else had the guts to talk to them about it.

I'd rather not go into massive detail.. but does anyone have any advice on stopping a brain that's constantly over thinking... I have an issue that should be simple, but I always imagine the worst result... if that makes sense?

I just was wondering does anyone have any techniques to just chill and stop from overthinking, worrying and getting worked up dealing in mild depression for a couple days

I know what your thinking "Matt's thinking!? Surely not!" :O

Matt, I'm genuinely not joking here. The cure for a hyperactive brain that won't shut up is... weed. Seriously mate. I know exactly where you are coming from. ;) Obviously, in moderation. Don't go crazy or anything. "Smoke responsibly", as it were.

What's with all the drugs around here? Asides from that, there are loads of people who would like advice. Delta, that's terrible, when cancer affects two loved ones. I don't know what to say as it has really shook me that life is so frail and on the edge. I guess the only thing I would suggest is to try and maintain some degree of normallity when possible, so that things don't get too much. Drop a PM if you'd like to talk further, and I'm so sorry. :(

Although I understand some people have views of their own on these things, can we step away from suggestions to take what are essentially still illegal drugs please :).

Fredward, I get this problem all the time as anxiety is linked very closely with depression. Relax, try to listen to your surroundings (be it traffic or just ambient house noises) and you'll find that you very quickly calm down! Having a noisy brain is no fun at all to be honest. Don't smoke weed for it, don't drink either; they make you numb to it so you don't notice it, and they'll do nothing to actually help it.

Thanks guys for the advice, I seem to have calmed down a bit from last night! :p

But it does happen frequently so the advice is greatly appreciated.

Although I am grateful for your advice is great Diogo, I doubt I will try weed any time soon, it's more the legality and dodgy-ness of getting hold of it then the facts of what the stuff does to you! But Bear is right, it'll only numb it for that while! :p

I'm trying to just chill a bit more, I'll listen to surroundings and chill a bit more! :p

I never tried ASMR, I did a quick google search and it still seems a bit vague on what it is. :p

ASMR is really hard to explain, if you watch a video you will have one of two reactions, ether you will not feels anything, think it’s dumb and turn it off, or you get this really numbing feeling in the back of your skull, again it’s hard to explain, it’s like a trance if you’ve ever experienced that. There are many videos floating around youtube, there are two youtubers I would recommend, sound sculptures or relaxing ASMR. And out of them I would recommend the keyboard cleaning video in sound sculptures, and the gun cleaning video in relaxing asmr.

Again, its weird when you first watch it, and if you don’t get a reaction then I will look really odd haha. But if you wear earphones and just lay down listening to it you find you will just switch off and feel really sleepy.

Fredward said:
I never tried ASMR, I did a quick google search and it still seems a bit vague on what it is. :p

ASMR means Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response. It's an unexplained physical phenomena which effects some people and not others which is most commonly triggered through intense concentration on minimal and gentle visual or audial stimulus.

Common catalysts include listening to a hushed voice, crinkling of packaging, tapping and scraping noises or watching head massages. Even if you are not one of the people who experiences the 'tingly' ASMR feeling, many non-asmr-experiencers have described listening/watching the 'triggers' as still being very relaxing.

Might not be your thing at all but could be worth a try, just type ASMR into Youtube and explore. :)

Edit: Whoops, Ben. got there first.

Last week in work, the people training me really made me nervous about the job. They focused on how easy it is to make mistakes, and how even a few mistakes can get you fired. They made the whole place sound horrible, and made me want to leave the job despite having only just started.

I came in at the start of the week with extreme anxiety that I wouldn't be able to do the job. It's around this time that the side effects of my anti-androgen implant that I had in last week started to kick in harder than before. I've been experiencing bouts of dizziness and nausea, as well as a complete lack of energy (I'm so tired I'm finding it hard to write this). It's been so bad that I've had to go home from work on two occasions, today and yesterday, and I've barely been here three weeks!

Thankfully, the people at my job have been very supportive. They have paid for my taxi home on two occasions, and told me to take as much time off as I need. I even got a call from my agency telling me they'd give me support in any way they can. But my big worry is, whilst they know what I'm experiencing is side effects from my medication, they don't know WHY I'm taking it. My worry is that if they find out I'm taking it because I have gender dysphoria, they may change their attitude and become less than understanding. It's not like its cancer - many people don't consider gender issues to be a real problem. So now I'm just nervous and upset again :(

This year I have started a new school. This school offers 3 sports for boys: Football, Rugby and Cricket. First term we will be doing football, second rugby and so on.

Last week I made the football team (Not intended) and was told that this Wednesday we will be playing a home match.

I hate football, im not very good at it, but im tall, which makes me a good headerer. I was put in striker, which is my weakest point on the pitch.

Im really worrying about this match, i dont enjoy playing football whatsoever, but I really would like to win this match.

Any advice?

cool_boy_jon said:
This year I have started a new school. This school offers 3 sports for boys: Football, Rugby and Cricket. First term we will be doing football, second rugby and so on.

Last week I made the football team (Not intended) and was told that this Wednesday we will be playing a home match.

I hate football, im not very good at it, but im tall, which makes me a good headerer. I was put in striker, which is my weakest point on the pitch.

Im really worrying about this match, i dont enjoy playing football whatsoever, but I really would like to win this match.

Any advice?

There's no harm in playing one game, so why don't you just play once and see how it goes. The important thing is to make sure you have fun, but this seems unlikely seeing how you feel towards football. If you don't like playing for the team, then leave- you don't have to play for them at all. I'm an example of this. In year 7, I was picked to play for the school team, and thoroughly hated it. Really, the players in our school team are unbelievably cocky and arrogant, and don't really concentrate on what's best for the team. So I dropped out straight away. I play for a team outside of school, and really enjoy it. I'm playing with my friends (some of which I wouldn't see if it wasn't for the team) and we always have fun, no matter what the result is.

If you're going to play, remember to be aggressive- as it seems like you haven't played before. Don't be afraid to slide in or go in for a 50/50, as it's incredibly unlikely you'll be hurt. And remember to try and play for the team, not for yourself. If you do these, then it's likely you'll enjoy yourself more and feel like a more valuable player on the team.

Hope I've helped. :)

having been only back at school for 3 weeks, there is already a hole b****y fall out and guess what? i am getting wound up in it! one of my old friends whom i have known since primary school who i will call person 1 and two others who are persons 2 and 3 are involved so here goes:

me and person 1 hung out together on the first day and soon person 1 became friends with person 2. we all went round in a gang for the first few days before they started to leave me out and i became more friendly with another friend and ended up hanging round her from then on. anyway, person 1 told me that person 2 was getting a bit clingy and annoying so she then got a new mate aka person 3. persons 1,2 and 3 hang round for a bit before they decide they don't like person 2 and are generally horrible to her. person 1 sends a mean text saying that she and person 3 are bffs now and basicly saying exactly what she thought to person 2 which upset person 2 to the point of not talking to anyone and sitting alone in the library. at a party a few days ago, persons 1 and 3 where absent and i was an idiot and told person 2 what happened. person 2 is really quite nice but i don't know if i trust her quite yet so i may be in a spot of bother. not forgetting the fact that person 1 gets on my school bus ( which is where she told EVERYONE about the text ) and now i am really hacked off with the world.

god that actually helped, ranting my head off....... ;D

cool_boy_jon said:

Any advice?

Is it not possible for you to ask your PE Teacher to change your position on the pitch? Judging by the fact that you're tall makes you sound like you'll play better in defence than in attack. If it's not possible then do what Nick says and play and try to have fun! I love footie But I'll admit I'm not very good at playing it, but I do enjoy playing it regardless of whether my team wins or loses.

I'd say play the match, and if you win, You'd still get the satisfaction of winning even if you weren't the best player out there and you'd be part of a winning team and earn more respect from your team mates :)