• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: Secret Weapon 7 Discussion Continued

I just have a quick question, what are the first two inversions? Are they dive loops?

The Psychoaster said:
I just have a quick question, what are the first two inversions? Are they dive loops?

And just to add a cheeky bolt on question to Psychoasters lol.... :-[

Is the double inversion intertwined with the cobra a batwing?

Sorry Psychoaster lol, think you are right that the first two are both dive loops by the way.

Prometheus said:
The Psychoaster said:

And just to add a cheeky bolt on question to Psychoasters lol.... :-[

Is the double inversion intertwined with the cobra a batwing?

Sorry Psychoaster lol, think you are right that the first two are both dive loops by the way.

Ironically I can answer that, yes it is a batwing. And the first two inversions after the second lift hill are a sea serpent roll.

TheMan said:
<long quote is long>
I'm just slightly bemused how seeing the plans overlaid can make such a difference is all. The 2D plans which we have all seen show the same twisty layout, the same inversions and the same thing was brought to life on NoLimits (have you seen the video by the way?). That same twisty ride and layout is just now looking a bit more 3D and it's made a huge difference to you. Each to their own, but it seems odd :)

I don't think this ride has ever been designed to provide the same kind of awe as Oblivion anyway. I think this has been designed to be a visual overload of track. A spectacle that you just have to stand and watch. Imagine all that track, all those inversions, all the ride cars flying around, all in such a small space. I think the feeling of 'awe' will come from standing underneath the beast and marvelling at how much is going on in a tiny space. Oblivion's awe comes from standing by the drop and watching cars disappear in front of you. This is something different, much different.

On top of all of this, there could be a mystery element, an inversion record or something entirely different... Add something like that into the plans to create even more metal and the level of awe could raise even more!

I quite like the visual difference both rides will have. It will make for a nice clash that attracts guests to both rides in different ways.

Oblivion is all about the drop, SW7 is all about this insane load of track. SW7 will still look very attractive, perhaps more in a Nemesis way in that there's a lot of track, but certain elements will stand out to you.

There's no argument that each ride leaves you in awe, however different they are.

It's like the Nemesis/Air thing. The contrasting styles make both appealing.

Oblivion is all unseen, the entrance is near the bottom of X Sector, the station hidden on a hill and half of it is underground, it's all mysterious and sinister, and emphasises the drop, focussing everything on it.

SW7 is a big, open mass of track that will draw people in by being a big, sprawling mess that people will want to make sense of. Like the first time you see Air, you only see parts of it, with half the ride behind the station, whereas Nemesis is a confusing, complex maze of track, landscaping and theming.

I think Oblivion and SW7 will work well together, especially as SW7 does not intrude the view of Oblivion's lift turnaround.

I didn't make out like it was logical Scott dude ;D

I admit, it is an odd feeling to have after being so positive - wish I could be more definitive about why, but I'd be making it up.

The plans side on, I have to admit, plus some CGI mock ups definitely gave that impression you speak of Scott. It's strange that the top down 3D made me wonder.

As I say though, I'll reserve proper judgement till we've seen and experienced it. Clearly people rate Gerst much higher than I recall reading on here ever before. They always came across as an "Also-ran" to me, rather than a stand out designer, certainly never seem them so staunchly defended that's for certain.

Time will tell. I want them to do well and create something brilliant in its own right - but another Saw, that's not going to be good enough to ramp the park up a level from what it already has.

I also maintain I respect everyone's right to an opinion, either negative or positive - or subject to changing lol! ;)

Great news however in the X-Sector development thread, that does deserve universal praise for sure!! Also I know this divides opinion, but extremely happy a Sanctuary maze will be appearing as a supplement attraction. ;D I love what they are doing around this ride, cannot argue with all that effort, that's pretty much everything on the enthusiast checklist. I just hope the hardware matches up to the rest of these stellar efforts now!

Can do nothing but applaud all the plans (despite my slight coaster reservations now).

Excuse the double posts - but they are totally different points.

I have just been reading up on Tripsdrills new Gerstlauer - great planning (only half way through) in how it seems to be intertwined incidentally.

What came to light though, was the launch acceleration. I presume there will be one somewhere on SW7, could this be the world beater?

Have they gone for out and out acceleration record? I love accelerators, if this is some hyper speed accelerating lap-bar super themed inversion monster I take back everything I said in the above posts about lacking something special!

I felt it appropriate to research these other Euro-Gersts a bit.

Have at me coaster brains! What are the chances of this?

World's fastest accelerating coaster? Put all those pieces together, and you actually do have a beast of a machine once more! Or am I wrong, and there are no signs of launches anywhere?

If there are, my money is firmly on Inversion/Acceleration record - and I'll be first in that queue! ;D

I don't think fastest acceleration is on the cards as S&S have got that one pretty much sewn up. Dodonpa does 0-107mph in under 2s

Is it that fast?? It doesn't look it on the videos I've seen - I thought it looked quite naff really.

That really would push the bodies limits surely. It doesn't mean it cannot out accelerate it though, just! Without question it rules out that kind of top speed though.

I love accelerators, they are by miles my favourite, but I'm not even sure I'd go on that.

107mph in under 2 seconds? OK that gets top according to this site (accuracy not known).

http://rollercoaster.wikia.com/wiki/Fastest_Launch_Acceleration

What is that though on that same site??

The ubiquitous (in recent debates with me anyway!) Novgorod, in third place - and not a million miles behind in actual acceleration?

I think they can do this you know, and that is very SW like indeed! World Beating inversions... one thing, adding acceleration to that record? Wasn't that Gerst's first launch coaster too? Straight in at No3.

New train designs, strong looking track, World Beating/World First mentioned, big secrecy... confusion over lifthills/launch areas and pit depth (if I understand you all correctly).

Mmmm, and a lack of track showing either launch or hill on site??? No one has posted that up yet have they?

Ooooooh, they haven't have they??? Oh my word if they have I will be one major major happy bunny ;D

Maybe...

"The amusement park Tripsdrill today announced another rollercoaster highlights for the coming season. When the eight-seater car will accelerate to the products manufactured by Gerstlauer launch coaster from 0-100 km / h in just 1.6 seconds, while the guests are experiencing a need for speed. Not just a quick launch to shine the roller coaster, because at 700 meters track length is next to a dark ride-part equal give four different inversions. The special feature here is the security of the passengers, when it instead relies on the usual shoulder-only on lap bar, making a little extra tummy tingling is guaranteed!"

This was taken from translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://airtimers.com/tripsdrill-gerstlauer-launch-coaster-fur-2013-angekundigt/0016004/&prev=/search%3Fq%3DTripsdrill%2B2013%2Bride%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26hs%3DnJT%26tbo%3Dd%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-GB:eek:fficial%26channel%3Dfflb%26biw%3D1241%26bih%3D742&sa=X&ei=MIvwUKSFMdSZ0QXfmID4Cg&ved=0CDkQ7gEwAQ"

Oh...and hi to all from a first time poster but interested reader...

I'd go as far as saying there's no way we're going to see the fastest accelerating launch or anything like that. If we're lucky then we may get some sort of launched lift hill, but that's merely speculation at the moment. We should know more when lift and/or launch track is actually delivered as there is none of it at the moment.

I must admit though, I'd love the first lift hill to be replaced by a launch up into a hill above the toilets or something.

:)

The inversion record is quite likely I reckon, looking at those mock ups anyway - now their record with launch coasters too?

If they nail both of these two things, Alton Towers has a truly world class coaster once more, and Gerst use an SW to really put themselves on the global map.

£18 million... SW Tag.... Wardley no doubt fiddling in there somewhere ;D - the entire X-sector rides/area getting done up to house it.

My money is on that folks! I'd rarely put cold hard cash on a bet, but I'll take a punt on this baby! ;D

EDIT: What's more I will go further and speculate it will be a mid course launch that achieves it.

As mentioned in another topic earlier today, Novgorod has a rolling launch so the train is already travelling at quite a speed (the launch itself is probably from around 20-60mph, not 0-60). It's fairly thrilling, but the true acceleration is not as high as listed on that link.

As for records, if this coaster does have a launch it will have the most inversions of any launched coaster in the world.

John said:
As mentioned in another topic earlier today, Novgorod has a rolling launch so the train is already travelling at quite a speed (the launch itself is probably from around 20-60mph, not 0-60). It's fairly thrilling, but the true acceleration is not as high as listed on that link.

As for records, if this coaster does have a launch it will have the most inversions of any launched coaster in the world.

If this is true then I've suddenly got a strong feeling this is where the term World Beating comes from.

Out of curiosity is there any official statistic in terms of speed and acceleration which deems what is or isn't a launch? I.E. it has to be faster than 20mph, and accelerate at some many metres per second?

That is interesting Ian - a technical point like that given Novgorods rolling launch, how official does that make it?

I will stick by this prediction though now until launch, excuse the pun ;D - or until it's proven otherwise. True though about inversion per launch coaster, I hope it's a bit more than that though. Something easy to trumpet like "most inversions" or "fastest accelerator" is so much easier to market on a wider stage - and really worthy of Alton Towers :)

And is that also worth keeping so secret vs building the fastest launch on the planet - now that is worth keeping quiet about in a big way!

I'm considering the little mysteries and clues that have been going around, and trying to take a general feel as a guide to how good they think this will be.

Complete overhaul of X-sectors rides and maintenance, as well as the maze, makes me think it's a bit more than inversion record on a launch coaster...

Please don't get your hopes up regarding the fasted launch/acceleration in the world, it's really not going to happen for various reasons.

Rob said:
Please don't get your hopes up regarding the fasted launch in the world, it's really not going to happen for various reasons.

I appreciate what and why you say that Rob, and you are probably right, and it's my guess and speculation - not a presumption as it were, so I will stick by what I have said now be it right or wrong.

To be fair, I wasn't aware that Gerst did decent launches really, and I love launches, and it seems quite likely to have one I'd imagine given testament of other new Gersts.

I shall maintain my excitement levels, and hope meantime ;D

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.