• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: Secret Weapon 7 Discussion Continued

I certainly wouldn't rule out some sort of launch, but if there is a launch it won't be anything record breaking. We should get a much better idea of what will be happening regarding this over the coming weeks.

:)

Capture-10_zps063839b8.jpg

Well Ben Dowson tweeted this. I'm looking forward to seeing the queueline videos!

:)

Did anyone see the Tweet he put immediately after saying he hopes he gets to use them this side of June?

To mark my 700th post.

That man is doing my job!! ;D

Tom said:
Did anyone see the Tweet he put immediately after saying he hopes he gets to use them this side of June?

Probably an enthusiast injoke as he knows we're all fretting about when it'll open.

I think I'm looking forward to the sanctuary opening up again than SW7, it's going to be an amazing ride but the sanctuary is an amazing maze

Tom said:

Yeah i imagine that was to Troll the geeks.

Merlin more than late Tussauds have lots of ex-geeks in their employ so they know how to play geeks a little better. If you don't believe that look at the Mutiny Bay Sales and Info kiosk signs.

Is this the tweet that is no longer on this twitter feed ?

delta79 said:
Is this the tweet that is no longer on this twitter feed ?

I don't use twitter but i wont be surprised if its gone, people in high end theme park jobs need to talk to Wardley more about how their words will be seen by enthusiasts.

Though not a user of twitter i hope it offers people privacy options (i'm so old)

(edit: just checked and its still there)

So true Dave haha!!

I have to say, slightly off topic in a way, but this is the place I trust to get real solid information and breaking news.

The SW7/Xsector news today really proves that, and is the result of fantastic relationships between Towers and TST.

Shows what working with the park, not against it can achieve (saying no more).

I'd say though, he's probably more than aware of the fact it will have been seen by enthusiasts ha-ha! Wouldn't surprise me if he had a pseudonym on here somewhere!

I'm in a gambling mood today, I'd take a punt on that too ;D

While the fastest launch would be awesome, it would take the shine off Rita :( Not that it really has much of a shine anyways :p

cotda said:
While the fastest launch would be awesome, it would take the shine off Rita :( Not that it really has much of a shine anyways :p

I don't think it would if it were a rolling launch as it would be a completely different experience. From standstill to high speed in comparison to 10-20mph to high speed is very different, especially as Rita uses the hydraulic launch and Gerstlauer use the smoother LSM system.

I know this might be looking too much into it, but I notice that he didn't put #getcorrected in his tweet. I just think it's a bit strange as Alton are using it and putting it on everything.

On the subject of a launch... I personally don't see how they would make it a worlds first with a launch, world beating though, maybe the most inversions with a launch record as has been previously stated. I'm still immensely intrigued by their change of tagline, from worlds first to world beating. So, if this is the case, would it have been put in there to replace a worlds first idea that had gone wrong? Such as the washing machine? Because I really don't see what would have been worlds first-y about it. And to be honest, It's an easy thing to place in, without having to drastically alter the plans.

I'm on my new fangled telecommunications device! So if I spell anything wrong, I do apologise.

My thoughts Cupcake, are that this technically will be a "World's First" in terms of most inversions, or fastest accelerating etc - however nowadays, World's First now tends to imply (especially at Alton Towers!) something technically different/new/inventive, which is why I believe they changed it to World Beating. That could be something to do with the marketing of SW6, if they put World's First, people may well be expecting something different, rather than increased/improved.

I wouldn't rule out that they had to make changes though, and like you I remain very intrigued as to why that changed, but that's my guess.

EDIT: Totally agree about Rita, in that the launch styles seem totally different. My bet for fastest accelerator is based on a mid-course. I don't think that would out do the hydraulic power. It also doesn't have to reach a top speed equal to Rita, especially if Gerst do use that rolling launch system. Ultimately too, SW7 is more important than Rita, and you wouldn't leave out a "World Beating" title to avoid taking shine from a different older coaster, especially given Rita doesn't have any records to its name. My opinions only of course! I can't imagine they out "force" the Intamin rockets anyway though.

Regarding the recent news about Oblivion's repaint. This was also posted in the Pulse (The staff newsletter), in the same article.

We've also got loads more plans in the pipeline to enhance the appearance of the ride, including the shuttles themselves and the harnesses, which will hopefully be confirmed shortly

Make of that, as you will.
And later on in the newsletter, I found this:

SW7 Promotion Set to Heat Up
With the 2013 season beckoning, next week will mark a huge milestone for our Marketing team, as SW7 promotion is set to hit a new high! As ever, the finer details will be under wraps until the activity is revealed, but let's just say you could be seeing an awful lot of our enigmatic symbol over the next few weeks, in places you'd never expect...

"From the greatest response we've had to the symbol and the initial information we released to the media about SW7, it's clear to see that the nation is just excited about the ride, as we are" says PR Manager, Liz West. "Activity at this stage is a great way of building pre-awarness, which we had great success with for TH13TEEN, with over 90% of guests knowing about the ride before they visit - and we're hoping to get the figure even higher this time. We've really had fun coming up with unique ways to get the message out - this is just the start of what's in store!"

So, expect to see some more Marketing in the new couple of weeks!

:D

I have a feeling that turning one of London's most iconic landmarks into an advertisement might be met with some form of backlash. Not that I'm complaining.

Plus I can't see how they could attach it without changing the structural property of the eye. For example if they used a massive, mostly transparent tarpaulin with the image on (and I can't see many other methods working) that's a lot of material to get caught in the wind. one strong blow and the whole thing could come crashing down, (or more likely have the face ripped off).

What's the problem with that Tim? They could stick it on a giant floating floor and use it to sail down the Thames?

Tim said:
I have a feeling that turning one of London's most iconic landmarks into an advertisement might be met with some form of backlash. Not that I'm complaining.

Plus I can't see how they could attach it without changing the structural property of the eye. For example if they used a massive, mostly transparent tarpaulin with the image on (and I can't see many other methods working) that's a lot of material to get caught in the wind. one strong blow and the whole thing could come crashing down, (or more likely have the face ripped off).

Something like the way they did the olympic rings!

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.