• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: Secret Weapon 7 Discussion Continued

TheMan said:
If I was to gamble on any "major attraction" going, it just has to be Nemesis, it's way past it's best and has had it's day.

If it is true, and nemmy is the one leaving, my life, is over :'(

I doubt anything truly major will leave TBH.

Jordan said:
If I was to gamble, my money would go on it being another Ride Rater vanity story plucked right out of thin air.

LOL, not sure on the odds you can get for that mate ;D

I've no idea of their reliability - but made me chuckle none the less.

There are no other "major" attractions I could imagine they would remove though.

EDIT: SORRY, double posted this instead of edited!

cotda said:
TheMan said:
If I was to gamble on any "major attraction" going, it just has to be Nemesis, it's way past it's best and has had it's day.

If it is true, and nemmy is the one leaving, my life, is over :'(

I doubt anything truly major will leave TBH.

I doubt they'd dare Cotda, I'd hope it has a decent few years left in it yet, and being from one of the real major constructors, I'm sure parts are easy to come by etc to keep her ticking over for at least another decade. I'd be surprised if not!

I can't imagine they'd be removing anything either, seems a strange story to make up though without anything to base it on, if you want to keep any credibility as a ride journalist that is.

So maybe there is something on the cards. I'd stick with Spinball, or their being something that means Hex has to go. Never seems very busy to me nowadays, perhaps that has had it's day, as good as it is?

Be a shame that though, even though I cannot hack the ride lol!

I can't see any of the rides going any time soon

If any rides are leaving, I'd go with either Sonic Spinball in preparation for the 2014 development or the Flume because (as much as I love it... In warm weather :p ) it's old, knackered and easily bested by most modern water rides across the world.

Both rides are popular, but those are just what I'd expect to close if this rumour is true, based on what we know* and what most people believe regarding how long the Flume has left.

It's guess work though.

*A heavily rumoured new 2014 family area.

Ride Rater are usually very good with their rumours. They don't post stuff only when they're absolutely 100% sure (otherwise it wouldn't be a rumour...) but they wait until they believe they have some pretty solid proof before posting.

If they've said this, then I'm willing to believe that it's more likely to be true than not. Notice they said "major ride", which rules out Gallopers or Frog Hopper. I think it could be Charlie or the Flume.

There's a good chance that the 2014 family area has been pushed back to 2015. This could be caused by Towers discovering that one of their rides is in a worst state than they initially thought, or it has not passed its ADIPS certification (this happened in 2004 with the Black Hole). If they suddenly needed to find a lot of money to keep the Flume in operation or something, I can imagine them quickly pulling something together for its replacement in 2014, pushing the family area back. :)

Just speculation mind, but I think that's a strong possibility to explain this rumour. :)

Personally I can see either The Flume, Ripsaw or The Blade going. All three are fairly old rides now, and all three could be coming towards the end of their useful life.

An outside bet would be spinball whizzer, which as far as I'm concerned is a great little coaster but suffers from long queues, a very loud lift hill and is a bit of a blot on an otherwise picturesque scene in front of the towers.

SW7 still needs a name though. Though to be honest Secret Weapon Seven as a name would work, given the hospital theme?!

Sam said:
Ride Rater are usually very good with their rumours. They don't post stuff only when they're absolutely 100% sure (otherwise it wouldn't be a rumour...) but they wait until they believe they have some pretty solid proof before posting.

If they've said this, then I'm willing to believe that it's more likely to be true than not. Notice they said "major ride", which rules out Gallopers or Frog Hopper. I think it could be Charlie or the Flume.

There's a good chance that the 2014 family area has been pushed back to 2015. This could be caused by Towers discovering that one of their rides is in a worst state than they initially thought, or it has not passed its ADIPS certification (this happened in 2004 with the Black Hole). If they suddenly needed to find a lot of money to keep the Flume in operation or something, I can imagine them quickly pulling something together for its replacement in 2014, pushing the family area back. :)

Just speculation mind, but I think that's a strong possibility to explain this rumour. :)

I like the theory but why does this mean the family development has been pushed back a year? Perhaps The ride in question is something like The Flume which would take quite a while to remove. The replacement wouldn't open until 2015 but as it is a family/thrill ride the large family investment makes up for that market while the thrill seekers are still riding SW7.

BTW I think this might be off topic :-[ ;)

Thomas said:
SW7 still needs a name though. Though to be honest Secret Weapon Seven as a name would work, given the hospital theme?!

But how would this explain previous Secret Weapons? Oblivion, okay, but Nemmy, Air and Th13teen? And that would also mean no more secret weapons could exist.... Of course, this wouldn't matter to the GP, but they know it would matter to us to have some sort of explanation or story behind that.

The LTDP did talk about rides being replaced in the next few years - I would imagine it'll be more than one ride going as well by the wording:

LTDP said:
A number of existing rides would require replacement as they reach the end of their planned lives. This is likely to include Ripsaw, the Flume and Blade. In addition two large attractions/rides are likely to be developed in 2016 and 2019 (one of which may include a ride across the valley between UG Land to the Forbidden Valley) resulting in approximately six new or replacement medium to large attractions.

OK this is off topic now a little, but it is interesting.

Ripsaw and Blade going, completely open up space to create a Cross Valley coaster.

I think we all know, if that was easy to do, they'd have done it by now - it's clearly been discussed many times, for very good reason.

The Flume also as has been discussed, opens up a great space for a great dark attraction or family area (though that may clash a little with existing areas).

They couldn't get away with removing the Flume without something big to replace it. This is more like removing Corkscrew than Black Hole. A park classic.

Are they ramping up SW7/X-Sector in preparation for a massive couple of years of regeneration of the park?

Will SW7s success have a big say on exactly how much work does get done in future given Merlin's past record?

It does feel the natural time for the park to evolve.

My point is, maybe this is less an indication of "things to be removed" and more a "we are making space to evolve the park".

TheMan said:
The Flume also as has been discussed, opens up a great space for a great dark attraction or family area (though that may clash a little with existing areas).

They couldn't get away with removing the Flume without something big to replace it. This is more like removing Corkscrew than Black Hole. A park classic.

As I've said before I doubt The Flume is going anywhere for a good few years. There would be too many complications involved with replacing it for them to justify removing it without good reason. The whole area is protected woodland, so they are very limited as to what they can do.

But anyway, we're straying away from Secret Weapon 7 discussion. Back on topic please guys :)

On the subject of what SW7 theme music should be, I think something subtle which sounds on the surface of it pleasant, but has quite eerie synthetic qualities that makes it not quite right and unsettling. Almost like a utopian vision that's gone wrong.

I guess something like Kraftwerk's 'Morgenspaziergang':

Kraftwerk - Morgenspaziergang

From what I've heard, on the grapevine. It's Frog Hopper that's due for removal. Which all I can say is finally! Let's hope if it is removed, it's to make way for some development of the old Nick: Out of Control building! :)

Sorry for going back off topic, but it won't be Ripsaw as didn't someone post an image a couple of weeks ago of Ripsaw covered in scaffolding for maintenance once again? They wouldn't fix it up to then take it down, surely? :p

And Frog Hopper was down for maintenance last season too. It's also not a major attraction.

:)

Okay, back on topic! I'm glad to hear that SW7 is bringing some much needed improvements to the rest of X-Sector. It's been too long! But the thing that stood out the most for me in the recent TST article regarding the improvements was this:

It is believed the track will be painted the same colour as SW7, in order for both rides to complement each other...

So Oblivion will be the exact same colour as SW7? What colour was it originally and why not just repaint it as it was? As much as I've wanted it to be repainted and I'm glad it is finally happening, why are they going for the same colour as SW7? I'm not complaining, just wondering. :)

BigAl said:
Sorry for going back off topic, but it won't be Ripsaw as didn't someone post an image a couple of weeks ago of Ripsaw covered in scaffolding for maintenance once again? They wouldn't fix it up to then take it down, surely? :p

And Frog Hopper was down for maintenance last season too. It's also not a major attraction.

:)

Okay, back on topic! I'm glad to hear that SW7 is bringing some much needed improvements to the rest of X-Sector. It's been too long! But the thing that stood out the most for me in the recent TST article regarding the improvements was this:

It is believed the track will be painted the same colour as SW7, in order for both rides to complement each other...

So Oblivion will be the exact same colour as SW7? What colour was it originally and why not just repaint it as it was? As much as I've wanted it to be repainted and I'm glad it is finally happening, why are they going for the same colour as SW7? I'm not complaining, just wondering. :)

I would assume it is because the whole area is getting a tweak to look consistent. If the extent of Oblivion's touch up is true, we could see an entire redesign to the theme to blend in with SW7 and the whole MOJ story/theme.

Let's not forget that enterprise and submission have also received work, and maybe a repaint?? .. I think a re-theme of the entire site is a valid bet.

But the MoJ story/theme is supposedly being done to fit in with X-Sector, not completely turn it into something else altogether. Retheming a ride as iconic as Oblivion seems like a bad idea to me. :-\

BigAl said:
But the MoJ story/theme is supposedly being done to fit in with X-Sector, not completely turn it into something else altogether. Retheming a ride as iconic as Oblivion seems like a bad idea to me. :-\

I agree to an extent, Maybe a complete re-theme would not go down well with fans of the ride. For me at least Oblivion's orange/black paint work, cars, station and track do look tired. I think a new colour scheme to fit with SW7 could be what the ride needs and more importantly make the area feel consistent.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.