• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: Re: Secret Weapon 7 Discussion Continued

BigAl said:
But the MoJ story/theme is supposedly being done to fit in with X-Sector, not completely turn it into something else altogether. Retheming a ride as iconic as Oblivion seems like a bad idea to me. :-\
I personally don't see how Oblivion as it currently is will fit into the MoJ theme and never have. I don't want a retheme, I love X-Sector as it is, but if It's the only way to make SW7 fit, then its got to be done, otherwise we'll end up with another Rita situation.

I'm on my new fangled telecommunications device! So if I spell anything wrong, I do apologise.

Re: Re: Secret Weapon 7 Discussion Continued

CupCakeMonster said:
BigAl said:
But the MoJ story/theme is supposedly being done to fit in with X-Sector, not completely turn it into something else altogether. Retheming a ride as iconic as Oblivion seems like a bad idea to me. :-\
I personally don't see how Oblivion as it currently is will fit into the MoJ theme and never have. I don't want a retheme, I love X-Sector as it is, but if It's the only way to make SW7 fit, then its got to be done, otherwise we'll end up with another Rita situation.

I'm on my new fangled telecommunications device! So if I spell anything wrong, I do apologise.

Oblivion is all about testing on humans as the videos show in the queue line. So is SW7, they are just different tests for different reasons.

Re: Secret Weapon 7 Discussion Continued

siralgenon said:
CupCakeMonster said:
BigAl said:

Oblivion is all about testing on humans as the videos show in the queue line. So is SW7, they are just different tests for different reasons.

And I hope that's not where the similarities and links end, otherwise that's quite tenuous! :p

I'd cry if they changed Oblivions iconic black and orange colour scheme.
It's got the best theming in the park by a stretch.

I can't see why people would want Oblivion re-themed at all. It's a stunning piece of theming, just plain intimidating. Either way, the existing theme would fit with SW7, as both the rides are obviously about experimenting with the brain. To me Oblivion is all about experimenting with the human fear threshold, whereas SW7 could be something to do with happiness, delirium maybe?

I was under the impression the the Ministry of Joy were behind the X-Sector, and Oblivion was one of their experiments too?

BigAl said:
siralgenon said:
CupCakeMonster said:
BigAl said:

And I hope that's not where the similarities and links end, otherwise that's quite tenuous! :p
Exactly... They need some sort of link that's stronger than that. It's (And, yes I'm going to refer back to Rita again) like Rita being added to UgLand, Corky was kept the same, and it just didn't fit. And we all know that it just looked stupid. I know Rita wasn't an SW, but it was still a major addition to the park, and is still a very popular ride. But, even with Th13teen being added, yes it looks much more in the theme now, but, how is it? Why is there a random drag racer in a forest (That takes you back to where you started may I add)? I would love X-Sector to stay the same, as I'm sure I've already said, but, I'd rather it change so that Oblivion does fit in well with the theme, than it stay as it is, and the two rides have almost completely different themes, and it look quite stupid.

I think the colour schemes will remain the same:

Oblivion: orange and grey/black
SW7: yellow and grey/black
Enterprise: green and grey/black
Submission: blue and grey/black

I wonder how badly the snow that has been forecast for today and tomorrow will affect SW7, the work taking place across X-Sector and other improvements taking place across the park and resort? I hope it doesn't stick around for too long! :/

Tt are releasing another arial update tonight so I guess we'll be able to see if anymore's been done :))
Theres also heavy snow forcaste for tonight... just what they need.

OK think I have cracked it. The ride will open on time, will have a worlds first element and will make full use of the station building. Upon entering the station on April 16th, Dc Kelman will tell you that he's going to carry out scientific tests on all candidates. Everyone who enters the station will be put into cryogenic storage until the ride is complete and Dc Kelman will test how going into storage effects the body's ability to resist extreme forces and nausea inducing turns.

It would be a first, it would make use of the station and also explain why the ride is not complete yet...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

The reason Rita didn't work was because the original theme of Ugland had a very specific historical period and cartoony style, but Rita was a 1950's style drag race theme which created the worst theme disparity in both the time period and style that I've ever known. Perhaps if it had been themed as some kind of flinstones style race, it may have worked a bit better, although I have serious reservations about the physical ride itself and how it destroyed the natural flow of the area.

Anyway, getting to the point... There is no-way that SW7 poses anywhere near the level of disparity that Rita and Ugland had, in fact I find it hard to see how there is any disparity at all. X Sector is a dark mysterious government testing facility where their citizens are put through various grueling experiments. That's perfect enough of a connection for all the rides to co-exist in one reality. It would be unecessary to link them any more than that, and trying could well create a great deal more confusion as the story would have to be so long and arduous, that eventually very few people would care enough to follow the story.

And finally, Oblivion is a fantastic experience partly because of it's vagueness. It's a ride about the idea of facing something ominous, something unknown, and the antcipation of approaching that fate. If you had a clear explanation and story mapped out, you would rob it of that. Sometimes a theme works better when it's not all handed to you on a plate.

I feel that it is necessary to link both SW7 and Oblivion enough that the themes are related as they're in the same facility. If SW7 is too separate then it'd look like two different organisations sharing X-Sector! :p

But I agree that adding too much to the existing story/theme of Oblivion could potentially ruin its mystery. I do hope that this won't be the case.

:)

Marketing has stepped up. Posters have been placed in Turnham Green in West London as the following picture shows. I guess these will pop up in various places in the near future. RT'd by @altontowers on twitter.

BAfntTGCEAAVJrC.jpg:large

I think people are reading a little too much into the Oblivion repaint. I highly doubt they would re-theme the ride, Alton Towers are far more than aware of the importance of the theme. They would not destroy this for the sake of a new ride. So far SW7's marketing has had that very 'X-Sector' look.

I'm sure that it will be SW7 fitting into X-Sectors theme, not the other way around. The area is only having all this TLC so the area feels fresh and consistent. I'm sure Merlin Studios and Alton Towers have figured a very clever way to fit SW7 into the area and to keep it all feeling as one area in 2013.

JAMMYD778 said:

That's ace. I really like how they don't mention anything at all about what it is or where it will be - it's just a sinister face with no explanation at all. I think people are far more likely to be intrigued if they don't know it's going to be at a theme park etc. - they will scan the code and then be caught by the more specific marketing there.

As even more of a plus, there are no ridiculous claims about how 'ultimate' this will be.

JAMMYD778 said:
Marketing has stepped up. Posters have been placed in Turnham Green in West London as the following picture shows. I guess these will pop up in various places in the near future. RT'd by @altontowers on twitter.

BAfntTGCEAAVJrC.jpg:large

This isn't the work of another bored enthusiast, is it? :p

I'm loving the incredibly viral style of this advertising. It looks brilliant, and will no doubt be attracting a lot of attention when it all gets into full swing. It's human nature to be curious, so no doubt thousands of people will be scanning the QR codes, or Googling "what are these creepy smiles?" and learning more. It's a brilliant approach :D

No one posted the latest TST image in here yet?

Feeling hopeful that there's been quite a bit done, especially looking at the track in the middle that's slightly hidden by the tree second from left.

408738_429061093831007_1839139175_n.jpg

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.