• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: Secret Weapon 7 Discussion Continued

I certainly hope we get at least some details on the ride and lore before Christmas, I'm holding fire on my MAP until we know for certain it's going to be ready for spring. I can't really blame them if it runs long either as the weather this year has been particularly nasty.

As for the washing machine I think it could work, gimmick? Yes, definitely, but say you exit the washing machine and go straight into a pitch black dive that would be awesome!

Great updates and pics btw, dont stop posting them, there are enthusiasts and fans who don't post but very much appreciate your time and effort!

It should be open by March. It's a bit late for Alton Towers to go back on their word now. It would be awfully damaging on the parks image if it didn't open in March. Plus they have limited money so cannot really deal with postponing opening. Now that track is starting to be moved onto site things should pick up very quickly now. :)

The 'washing machine' is certainly a big gimmick, although I doubt it could work. Only due to the fact you need hardware that is capable or rotating track, trains and guests around several times with ease. That's a lot of weight to be dealing with, they would need a very heavy system that can withstand the pressures of all that weight. I somehow cannot imagine it happening. Even by what Alton Towers have created in the past, this seems like a gimmick that would not be possible.

I'm still holding on the idea of there being a trick-track of some sorts.

I was just looking through educational materials by Alton Towers for next year, and all of the materials that mention SW7 only state it as being a new 'world beating' ride, 'world first' is no where to be seen. I know it's a bit early to be reading into this, as I'm waiting for Alton Towers to unleash the next phase of marketing, although I'm starting to believe that they are aiming for a new world record at the moment. A new inversion record is starting to become more and more likely in my eyes.

James said:
It should be open by March. It's a bit late for Alton Towers to go back on their word now. It would be awfully damaging on the parks image if it didn't open in March.
Viking River Splash at Legoland was heavily delayed - it was always advertised as opening Easter 2007, but then got pushed back a number of times and eventually opened mid August. Clearly not a good situation, but it hasn't exactly been damaging in the long run.

However, it of course goes without saying that it would be better to avoid any such situation (to put it exceedingly mildly)...

James said:
The 'washing machine' is certainly a big gimmick, although I doubt it could work. Only due to the fact you need hardware that is capable or rotating track, trains and guests around several times with ease. That's a lot of weight to be dealing with, they would need a very heavy system that can withstand the pressures of all that weight. I somehow cannot imagine it happening. Even by what Alton Towers have created in the past, this seems like a gimmick that would not be possible.
Nah, I think it's easily (in relative terms :p) possible. Either use big enough motors (could be less powerful than, say, a rapids lift-hill motor), or stick a large-ish counterweight at the top of the mechanism, and therefore require a small turning force.

As engineering problems go, I think this one would be fairly easily surmountable.

Longy said:
In other news, is it just me who seems to think that 'The Smiler' is likely for the name, considering it follows the same structure as the trademark for 'TH13TEEN' did?
I can't see what else it would be for...

Could be the name of the logo? The trademark was registered early on in the year, with the logo appearing not long after it.

Im also on the same as you, i do not think that we will see this trick track and the element, i have very high hopes on use seeing the inversion records or somthing along those lines, but only time will tell about this matter ;D

This has just been posted on Facebook by TowersStreet:

72360_415291181874665_879151503_n.jpg

The current support to track ratio is incredible, there's so many supports!

:)

There seems loads of track aswell it looks brilliant from what is on site :)

I'm guessing it's either a site tour or first human rider. :D

We have split the discussion for the comp into its own topic so actual coaster discussion doesn't get swamped.

Enjoy

By the look of the track that has gone from the car park and up-to the site, it seems like they would only bring the track up to there when they need it. I would say that the track for the station would be up by now., and i would say that the indoor section would be done now. So the next time TTF go up in the sky i would not be surprised if we see most of the first part of the ride finished(indoor and station) ;)

If you travel from Cheadle to Alton Towers on the Hales Hall road you can not only see supports but you can see track on those supports. It's quite a way off in the distance but you can see it. Sorry was going to take photos but we were running late.

Thanks for that stretchy! There's a decent chance I'll pop along to Towers tomorrow again if the weather isn't too bad, so I'll be sure try and stop to get some photos from where you say!

I looked at the location of the road in question, and it's very small in Cheadle? Do you mean the main route out of Cheadle to AT, which passes that road?

iain said:
You mean you can see track from outside the park??? Oh ooh :eek:

You can actually see a lot of the coasters from restricted points outside of the park. Air and Rita are very obvious from certain vantage points.

The rides just have to be invisible from major villages and areas of natural beauty.

There are actually some rather good drawings and photos in the planning application, which show the ride from different angles and how visible it will be.

For the most part Alton's rides are invisible from outside the park. There are only a few cases where you can see rides clearly.

On Farley Lane if you face the Towers every now and then you'll see a little orange line move across the top of the trees, then vanish. That's an Oblivion shuttle going around the top of the ride :p As the track is black it's not very obvious, but the orange gives it away. Air has a green lift hill to try and reduce the impact of the ride, and blend it in better. Rita had to have all its highpoints painted green as the locals could see the red ones from the village.

So long as Alton make it clear in the planning documents that the ride is visible, and show where from they should be fine though. At least it's not bright yellow with red supports. That'd stand out a good bit :p

AstroDan said:
I looked at the location of the road in question, and it's very small in Cheadle? Do you mean the main route out of Cheadle to AT, which passes that road?

It is the B5417 cheadle to oakamore road, the same road the 14 bus goes on, and is the usual first glimpse of the towers from that point. Historically a bit of bliv and the tower that now has all the phone stuff on.

Yeah you can see the park on a good day. Was going to go for a walk along those woodland paths to see if I could get a glimpse.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Looks like we can expect some pictures on here later on...

hello of photo containing a bit of track, I like you!

That's from TS member Rob's Facebook... Such dedication that guy has, as I said to some members over the weekend, we should just build him a little tree house hideaway to live in near Towers over the closed season! :p

Look forward to seeing the pics! :D

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.