• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: Secret Weapon 7 Discussion Continued

GaryH said:
Is JW having any input with regards SW7 ?

Yes, he will have designed the track layout and possibly conceived the world-first feature.

A reminder that this ride would seem to need either 3+ inversions within the building, or some sort of 'gimmicky' pioneering feature to be a world's first.

Rob said:
Dar said:
So, SW7, lifthill track...is it there or are they still expecting some track delivery?

If it's there then it's not being stored with the rest of the track, or in any public areas. And I can't imagine they have enough space to store that amount of track backstage. I personally don't think it has been delivered yet, and don't think it will be until a few days before it is required.

:)

We'll certainly learn a lot when it arrives with regards to lift hill mechanism (LSMs or chain), so I'm looking forward to it coming.

Let's also not forget that Gerstlauer designed a coaster to contain a vertical launch (or booster section just like Wicked's) back in 2009 - the original plans for Anubis had a horizontal launch followed by a further launch section on the first half of the top hat. This obviously didn't make the final design, but it means that it would certainly not be out of the question for SW7 to include LSMs on both the lift hills.

Tom said:
GaryH said:
Is JW having any input with regards SW7 ?
Yes, he will have designed the track layout and possibly conceived the world-first feature.
I don't think either of us have any evidence but I don't believe that to be the case at all. He appears to advise on projects these days, not design the vast majority of a ride.

Dar said:
Because he's contracted to Merlin? :p
He's friends with them... If Merlin aren't opposed, then why can't he help his friends out? It's not like they're going to be building coasters for all the parks in the UK is it?

John Wardley did indeed design the layout for SW7, according to my research. Admittedly, it was from Wikipedia, but I'm happy to go along with that.

CupCakeMonster said:
Dar said:
Because he's contracted to Merlin? :p
He's friends with them... If Merlin aren't opposed, then why can't he help his friends out? It's not like they're going to be building coasters for all the parks in the UK is it?

He is indeed the only person officially outside of B&M to work with B&M in developing concepts. He was involved in the development of the wing coaster, and we all know it was a Merlin park that got one of those first. That's not to say that every new B&M concept will go to a Merlin park first, but having JW as a middle man as it were doesn't half help.

Jonathan said:
John Wardley did indeed design the layout for SW7, according to my research. Admittedly, it was from Wikipedia, but I'm happy to go along with that.
Oh come on!!! When it comes to new UK coasters Wikipedia is the least reliable source of all - kids and excited enthusiasts edit it to include all kinds of outlandish rumours.

Jonathan said:
It also says that the Enterprise is a new one, which I don't think has actually been confirmed by Towers...

Rupert said:
I don't think either of us have any evidence but I don't believe that to be the case at all. He appears to advise on projects these days, not design the vast majority of a ride.

He is a consultant, but he was quoted last year as stating he designs layouts using No Limits and he was pleased with the accuracy of the result as when he rode The Swarm he said it was very much the same as what he created on No Limits.

I would say you could probably safely say he's involved in some way, given that his answer when we asked him last year if he'd been involved at all with The Swarm was

"Oh no, not really... I just designed the layout and stuff..." (or words to that effect) :p

I would love him to have designed the layout for SW7!! But the reliability of Wikipedia as a source.. it says this for goodness sake...
The ride has been confirmed by a marketing video as containing a world's first element
Does anybody remember the marketing video in question?? Because I don't remember anything confirming that it was a worlds first and not 'world beating'

Rupert said:
Jonathan said:
Oh come on!!! When it comes to new UK coasters Wikipedia is the least reliable source of all - kids and excited enthusiasts edit it to include all kinds of outlandish rumours.
True, but I can't find anything else to go on. Or maybe that's just my poor research skills. :p

Re: Re: Secret Weapon 7 Discussion Continued

BigT said:
BigDave said:
That's funny as B&M are regarded in the themepark industry as being one of if not the best out there!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

By whom exactly, fanboys maybe but in the industry? Look I'll give you that they are well made but they are generally too slow, too noisey and not exiciting enough.
I like to get the feeling I'm about to die when I ride a rollercoaster but maybe that's just me!

I did say themepark industry, not fans. John Wardley is regarded as being one of the world's best rollercoaster designers and if he says they are one of the best, I'm sure he knows what he's on about!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I'm sure it won't be anywhere on the web.. not officially.. if it turns out that he did, any site claiming that he did would have just had it as a guess. And to be honest, I'm sure someone would have heard from someone, via other forums or something... The lengths some people go to to research these things, we would have heard something... especially after he was just a consultant on Thi3teen.

EDIT: It says the exact same role as for Thi3teen.
John Wardley (layout)
So I wouldn't trust it.

CupCakeMonster said:
I'm sure it won't be anywhere on the web.. not officially.. if it turns out that he did, any site claiming that he did would have just had it as a guess. And to be honest, I'm sure someone would have heard from someone, via other forums or something... The lengths some people go to to research these things, we would have heard something... especially after he was just a consultant on Thi3teen.

John Wardley (layout)
So I wouldn't trust it.

He did design Thirteen's rough layout though, and actually came up with numerous layouts.

CupCakeMonster said:

John Wardley (layout)
So I wouldn't trust it.
He designs layouts and he uses No Limits to do so, he said so last year. I'm sure a number of people here will recall where he said that. I'm not going to say because some people need to understand that some of us actually say things with conviction and don't simply make everything up/speculate.

Designing a layout doesn't mean he designs rides, he isn't actually a designer. All the meandering and weaving on Thirteen's layout - that's John.

I've just been reading through this topic, I know it has moved on a bit but... When did the rebar arrive. I seem to think that there was a fair amount arrived, then after a while a load more turned up. Please put me right if I'm talking rubbish.

Now from my very limited knowledge of building, I'm wondering if upon digging that fairly large hole they have found some particularly soft earth that was unexpected? Bearing in mind this is often not known about until they dig into it. They wouldn't be able to build into that so had to reassess the situation and order a lot more rebar and concrete?

That could have caused serious head scratching moments for them and if it is the case would have taken time to rectify.

Tom said:
He designs layouts and he uses No Limits to do so, he said so last year. I'm sure a number of people here will recall where he said that. I'm not going to say because some people need to understand that some of us actually say things with conviction and don't simply make everything up/speculate.

Designing a layout doesn't mean he designs rides, he isn't actually a designer. All the meandering and weaving on Thirteen's layout - that's John.

Rob said:
He did design Thirteen's rough layout though, and actually came up with numerous layouts.

Ok, hands up. I presumed that 'contributed' meant that he helped with the ideas behind it. (My next point probably helped with that confusion.)
And I thought that he was the 'designer' of Nemmy, Blivvy and air? Why was he only classed as 'contributor' to Thi3teen if it was the same role?

Secret Weapon 7 Discussion Continued

People misuse the term ride designer. He says himself he doesn't actually design rides. That requires a huge team of engineers working on the project. He literally designs layouts - IE what path the track should take, its features and elements...its character. His role has been - and still is - widely misunderstood. This is much to his embarrassment because he constantly has to say thanks should go to so and so etc.

-Sent from a mobile phone-

CupCakeMonster said:
And I thought that he was the 'designer' of Nemmy, Blivvy and air? Why was he only classed as 'contributor' to Thi3teen if it was the same role?

Before he was just a consultant to Merlin he used to be involved a lot more in the theme/story side of new attractions. However now he always says that he has nothing to do with this and is always very quick to praise the work of Candy Holland and the Merlin Magic Makers. I suppose the best way to put it was back in the times of Nemmy and Blivvy he was involved in the whole project, now he just helps out where needed. Of course we can't say for sure exactly what his role at the moment involves though.

iain said:
Now from my very limited knowledge of building, I'm wondering if upon digging that fairly large hole they have found some particularly soft earth that was unexpected? Bearing in mind this is often not known about until they dig into it. They wouldn't be able to build into that so had to reassess the situation and order a lot more rebar and concrete?
Someone came up with that idea a few pages back (I think it was partially an attempt to get us all back on topic :p ).. But we were all a bit distracted at the time :)

Before I say anything else, I should say that I know nothing about this, so would happily be told I'm wrong by someone who does know :)
I thought that surely they'd be able to assess this before choosing the site. I mean they'd know about the BH tent-end, but everywhere else, surely they'd be able to do tests of some kind, either if it's a bit of drilling down to get samples (a bit like getting ice samples). To assess which areas can actually be used to build a roller coaster on... it would make sense (if it is possible :) )

Aahh.. thanks for the clarification Tom and Rob :)

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.