• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates / Ride Speculation Part 2 *SPOILER FREE*

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: [The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

The awkward moment when a game stall looks better when it's SBNO rather than open:

4q22p4.jpg

Image from Theme Park Collective

Maya said:
Not this again..
This is a new era of x sector, its uncovering more of the past, inserting a new 18 million massive ebast of a ride into an area is bound to change it
I don't really think that is his point. The Smiler's entrance would look more effective if it was in the same style as the Oblivion or Black Hole arches. (or just something more imposing than a big yellow box)

If The Smiler's iconography matched Oblivion's, imagine how strong the area theme could be. Two rides on either side of X Sector - polar opposite in nature, each with individual personalities, yet similarly dark and stylish.

Instead, it seems The Smiler's aesthetics have had a few budgets cut. The result is there are some weak parts. This won't affect people's enjoyment of the ride, obviously, but it's not quite as 'cool' as it could have been.

Still, the entrance looks like it will have some features to it at least. Recent photos show wiring for lights and speakers.

Fredward said:
I doubt anything world first will happen on the inside section, lots of effects maybe.

Right.

The Smiler, which is Alton Towers Resort's biggest ever investment at £18m, took over eight months to build and the second world first element has been kept under wraps since construction began back in September.

That is from Alton's own press release.

John has said it. There have been numerous references to it.

If it was not something worth while, they would not be bothered about keeping it a secret.

Not aiming this at you Fred mate, but there are some on here, who will ride a world first inside, and come out denying that it actually happened.

There is a world first inside. I imagine it will be something to do with effects, and if we observe this development, they seem to have learned many lessons from SW6.

They would not be this intent on keeping it quiet, whilst also officially releasing it's existence.

Also

ChocolateStarfish said:
Let them finish the ride before complaining.

I bet you feel vindicated about the grief you got for the squeaky wheels suggestions! May I applaud you not actually rubbing it in everyone's face who gave you grief.

I do note the general lack of humble words from those who did jump on you about it.

I don't think we've seen much evidence of a budget cut yet....

Or rather, the majority of the budget was allocated towards the rollercoaster itself (obviously), meaning the secondary elements such as the entrance and station have been left rather minimalistic.

I highly doubt they planned to have such a bland entrance and station when they conceived this ride, but it was probably the best they could do with the time and money.

Even then, elements such as The Marmaliser look expensive and bold. They have done a much better job at budgeting the theme design than usual. Thirteen got almost all its planned theming cut, except the front exterior and some basic effects.

Maya said:
Not this again..
This is a new era of x sector, its uncovering more of the past, inserting a new 18 million massive ebast of a ride into an area is bound to change it, and I'm really happy Alton have not gone for a backstory of "oh no we are all going to die, because of something thats happened" which is the easy way out of a story- instead they've gone for something unique, and different that you wouldn't expect.

I don't care about pretentious backstories. All I want is something with an aesthetic consistency.

bex said:
just to let you know the 3 clues so far for the miles cedar videos are:

do not resist
its time 2
get corrected

just found these out im smart me :twirly:
is there a clue in each video then ?

TheMan said:
Fredward said:
I doubt anything world first will happen on the inside section, lots of effects maybe.

Right.

The Smiler, which is Alton Towers Resort's biggest ever investment at £18m, took over eight months to build and the second world first element has been kept under wraps since construction began back in September.

That is from Alton's own press release.

John has said it. There have been numerous references to it.

If it was not something worth while, they would not be bothered about keeping it a secret.

Not aiming this at you Fred mate, but there are some on here, who will ride a world first inside, and come out denying that it actually happened.

There is a world first inside. I imagine it will be something to do with effects, and if we observe this development, they seem to have learned many lessons from SW6.

They would not be this intent on keeping it quiet, whilst also officially releasing it's existence.

In what way is that quote confirming a secret element is inside? It's not.it's saying it's under wraps, that means they haven't officially announced it or told anyone yet.

Feel free to disagree, but saying "There is a world first inside" is a very definitive answer with no evidence to back it up.

I even suggested a world first element, that Alton has not told anyone about, but most fans have figured out. the duelling element.

Don't expect anything worlds first on the inside, avoid disappointment.

Fredward said:
Don't expect anything worlds first on the inside, avoid disappointment.

Apologies, I believe it was John that mentioned that side - if it's outside then fine, I wrote that wrong, - anyway the end result is there is another world first that you will have to ride to find out.

That's neither duelling (which I championed as well for a while now, so agree with you entirely by the way) nor the inversion record.

I don't believe we will see something flimsy - I think it will be impressive - but if not, we have an awesome coaster and very mysterious words/press releases from both Alton & John himself.

John Wardley gets told what to say, anyway. All this world-first talk is decided by the marketing department since it is their idea.

If I remember correctly, they announced SW7 would "be a world's first" three years ago, before they even held the first planning meeting.

The Smiler already has a surprise beginning element that they are keeping to themselves, as well as a pre show. There really is no need for yet another secret element. I'm intrigued as to what there is left to reveal.

Im lost is there another world first element as well as the 14 loop record ?

electricBlll said:
There really is no need for yet another secret element. I'm intrigued as to what there is left to reveal.

I agree, the fact they've confirmed it as a second world first is very interesting.

Oatcakedodger said:
Im lost is there another world first element as well as the 14 loop record ?

Yes, it is confirmed in the press release I quoted, it was quoted in the marketing topic yesterday by someone else and has broadly been missed in this one.

Well we know the ride is going to feature a new type of 3D digital mapping technology that one would assume only work in the dark, and where is the only dark bit on the ride?

I've been dropping hints for a while now on the duelling aspect and I would expect this to be a big part and judging by the marketing so far it wouldn't surprise me if they went with that as well but something is going to happen to you in that building trust me!!!

And it isn't a hotpoint.

ChocolateStarfish said:
Well we know the ride is going to feature a new type of 3D digital mapping technology that one would assume only work in the dark, and where is the only dark bit on the ride?

I've been dropping hints for a while now on the duelling aspect and I would expect this to be a big part and judging by the marketing so far it wouldn't surprise me if they went with that as well but something is going to happen to you in that building trust me!!!

And it isn't a hotpoint.

TROLL!!!!!!!

;)

And for those who still doubt, here is the press release itself:

http://press.altontowers.com/news-alton-towers-resort-unveils-worlds-first-14-looping-rollercoaster-11766

I think the ride self duels in the game doesn't it, and I am sure someone mocked up points it could cross over and it looked really impressive.

Chocolate also pointed out the screeching wheels before anyone else. He is also saying, something is coming, there was projection mapping documents that arose stating they were in use on The Smiler, there is the twisted in door walls in the game.

I am not looking forward to it as I don't like these kinds of illusory effects on rides, so it isn't like I am falling for hype. I am however very interested to discover what they've managed to do.

Think you might be right about the 2 cars on the track at the same point in motion seen footage of this somewhere ? It makes sense with the vertical lift splitting the ride, the other car leaves the main loading point as you travel up the vertical lift ?

What is self dueling? I know it must seem really obvious to everyone else but I dont understand :'(

Maya said:
What is self dueling? I know it must seem really obvious to everyone else but I dont understand :'(
Self Dueling- "Dueling" with ones self.

If that makes sense, basically, the Smiler is a long ride which would mean that more than one car would be going Round the track at the same time. There would be many near misses with the other cars (interlocking batwing and cobra roll e.g) which would give the impression that the coaster is Dueling with itself. Think of Dragon Challenge, that is a Dueling coaster(s) but there is more than one. So the smiler would be Dueling with itself?

I thought I could explain it when I saw your question but I am not so good at explaining things. Hope you understood me! :/

Categorically, there is no second world's first.

It is an error.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

TheMan said:
ChocolateStarfish said:

And it isn't a hotpoint.

TROLL!!!!!!!

;)

And for those who still doubt, here is the press release itself:

http://press.altontowers.com/news-alton-towers-resort-unveils-worlds-first-14-looping-rollercoaster-11766

I think the ride self duels in the game doesn't it, and I am sure someone mocked up points it could cross over and it looked really impressive.

Chocolate also pointed out the screeching wheels before anyone else. He is also saying, something is coming, there was projection mapping documents that arose stating they were in use on The Smiler, there is the twisted in door walls in the game.

I am not looking forward to it as I don't like these kinds of illusory effects on rides, so it isn't like I am falling for hype. I am however very interested to discover what they've managed to do.

To be fair I think it was BigAl that first said about the screech, but I did say it was no big problem and probably due to wheels being used during the first few days.
I did get the date of the first public test wrong though by one day!! HSE apparently.

Like I said these marketing bods are too clever for me :D so I'm not sure what bull they are going to come up with but world first or not something happens. (And I don't believe it's working yet either!)

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.