• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates / Ride Speculation Part 2 *SPOILER FREE*

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: [The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

Wilsy said:
Rob said:
It looks like a sign will be put on here:
P1150362_zpsde4f67cb.jpg

There seem to be some previously unseen theming in this photo, yellow pipes/valves.

Yeah, I couldn't make my mind up as to whether that was theming or construction equipment!

:)

My goodness I do hope they do something with that station other than paint yellow markings on it, because it literally is just a concrete box at the moment!

ATSurfer said:
Would this be the first self-dueling coaster (assuming if it is)?

I would think so in this format (and it's been I've been thinking that this is the worlds first since the plans came out)

You could argue that Grand National is technically self dueling. But claiming that is quite the stretch, you do end up at the other sides station. But since you only go round once and is designed as such I don't think it counts as the same category that Smiler is.

Rob said:
Wilsy said:
Rob said:
It looks like a sign will be put on here:
P1150362_zpsde4f67cb.jpg

There seem to be some previously unseen theming in this photo, yellow pipes/valves.

Yeah, I couldn't make my mind up as to whether that was theming or construction equipment!

Certainly seems like theming to me and the game showed the building covered in Yellow pipes.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

Great pictures Rob! This is looking amazing and hopefully will be completed within the next couple of weeks :D

It's coming along very nicely now! :D

Interesting photo there with the yellow pipe theme there, like with many on here, I do hope they add more to the station building, then again with the Marmaliser started to come together, who knows.

While I can't see the ride being a Nemesis beater in terms of ride quality, unless they prove otherwise, I could though see it maybe a Nemesis rival in terms of theming, IF they can get it right this time with an attraction.

I believe this was one of the pictures Towers put up (correct me if i'm wrong)

11vpkrl.jpg

think those footers could be for the viewing platform shown on the plans? If so I am happy, hopefully good views from it!

sorry for stealing your pic rollercoasters4life... couldn't be bothered to find the original plans image! :p

TheSmilerProgress_zps08dbeb2a.jpg

Fredward said:
I believe this was one of the pictures Towers put up (correct me if i'm wrong)

11vpkrl.jpg

think those footers could be for the viewing platform shown on the plans? If so I am happy, hopefully could views from it!

sorry for stealing your pic rollercoasters4life... couldn't be bothered to find the original plans image! :p

TheSmilerProgress_zps08dbeb2a.jpg

One of those footers (the far one in that photo) does now have a support going into it. I have a feeling that we won't be getting the jetty though, which will be a shame.

aww that is a shame. Thanks for letting me know though! :p

I swear Merlin just love planning jettys but hate building them! :p Didn't Swarm supposed to have one as well!

Look at that launched lift hill it hasn't got.

Is it possible we could still see that cluster of theming features/near misses appear? Just because that section of track is now lower down than planned in a pit doesn't mean they can't build them surely?

Also, I don't see a reason why they can't build the jetty other than laziness.

Rob said:

Only quoted that random text so I could pass this on

images

Fantastic SPECTACULAR photos. The sea serpent one in particular looks stunning, though it looks a little corkscrew like to me, which is no bad thing of course!

It's looking fantastic though. May not be my favourite theme idea, but I don't care where you are in the world, that ride is going to get people talking.

What.are.they.building?
John Wardley is a legend. A crazy legend, but still.
Wow

Wow. Is all you can basically add to what has been said already. I hadn't even clocked that the dive loops would interact with another part of the ride - I've spent so much time thinking about the staffordshire knot / cobra roll element interacting with itself that you almost forget the whole ride is a jumble of near misses!

There are some interesting points about the fins on the lift section - would be very surprised if we did get a vertical launch but it would certainly drive home the contrast between The Smiler and Oblivion.

Those two "spare" footers in the Alton Towers picture would be great for the jetty. They could even build "over" the track to give another near miss. Not that the ride really needs any more near misses!

rightbackgranty said:
Those two "spare" footers in the Alton Towers picture would be great for the jetty. They could even build "over" the track to give another near miss. Not that the ride really needs any more near misses!

If you take another look at the photo, you'll see one of the supports is incomplete and is kind of dangling in the air. At least one of those footers are where said support is heading (you can see it beneath the ledge waiting to be installed) :)

I dont believe we'll be getting the jetty as a permanent fence has already been erected down there, its just not obvious as the big sheets around the Smiler site are currently covering it.

Fredward said:
fantastic photos!

An idea for the breaks on the lift hill... If the ride is going to be synced for duelling. Perhaps they are there to control the speed of the lift hill a bit more accurately so they can time the trains reaching the top at the right time?

The only issue with that idea is you would get more control over train speed by regulating the lift-hill motor. Also those are static fins so they can't regulate speed as they can't move to change the magnetic interaction between the train and track.

The Idea of a launch is unlikely as they have a chain trough in there and those fins are not LIMS, one thing apparently missing though is an anti-roll-back mechanism. Maybe the fins are there so that if a chain snaps the train would slowly return to the ground rather than fall negating the need of anti-rollbacks. Would be beneficial if you wanted to evac the train as you could reverse the chain and bring the train back to the ground rather than them being locked into place by the anti-rollback system.

To clear up the whole spare footers and jetty thing. Here is one of those footers that does indeed now have a support in it:

P1150357_zps0f733eb7.jpg

And here is the other one which could be for pretty much anything:

P1150384_zpse5014db8.jpg

I personally don't think we will get the jetty. I can't be sure but I think the new permanent fencing blocks off where the jetty was meant to go.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I didn't envisage anything being placed in the footers - thought they were outside the "ride zone" as it were. Could the other footer be part of the inverted drop? Or is it too far away?

Call me thick - or blind if I've missed it - but what does that pipe do? If it's been used to pour in the concrete, why does it remain?

Breaking away from the flow of conversation slightly, but do we know why they have reduced the 'spider' from 6 legs to 5 legs? I know the 5 elements of the marmaliser, but it does suggest to me that this is an entirely different theme to the plans - otherwise why produce plans for 6 crossover legs?

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.