• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates / Ride Speculation Part 2 *SPOILER FREE*

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: [The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

I'm pretty certain the Halo thing was not made up by enthusiasts. I heard it was quite an advanced idea by Merlin Studios, and it was one of a number of IPs that was being closely considered for SW7.

Either way, it's not really that important now. It's pretty clear a different theme was originally planned when you look at the original ride concepts/plans. However time has moved on and we have The Smiler in front of us.

May be it's time we get back to talking about what we have in front of us now? :)

Quetzal said:
Either way, the current theme is looking fantastic. It doesn't take itself too seriously, which I love. It's tongue in cheek, but also effectively scary. I think it's good it's not been overthemed, as the coaster is going to do the talking by itself. I'm just hoping that maybe, hopefully, they clad the station?

I like the theme too - though I'm still not sure what the theme is :pIt certainly doesn't take itself seriously which is a refreshing change considering I thought that both 13 and SubTerra were both very "straight" theme's. I feel that 13 in particular lost out a little because it tried to play the whole "pyshcoaster" too much. If it had taken itself a little less seriously it may well have been a bigger hit.

I'm realistic about them cladding the station, in a "I don't think that they are going to" kind of way. I see pipes, fake windows, perhaps an oversized smiler logo on the side and some other detailing, but I don't envisage any cladding. I wouldn't mind a lick of paint on the whole thing though, perhaps a similar colour to the oblivion buildings to pull the area together. Anything but bare concrete will make me happy at this stage!

I remember talking to Adz over on TTF and he said the Halo IP was considered by Merlin Magic Making but it was thrown out long before the plans were revealed.
As this matches up with what James heard I’d say it’s likely the case.

Anyway I just wanted to go back to discussing the similarities between the old and new Marmaliser because in truth I think the two are far more alike than they initially appear:

Here’s the original:

sw75.png

Here’s the new version:

722421015.jpg

Now the first thing that stands out to me is that when looking at the original each leg is in some way different. One of them for example has several panels on it. Could this have been an early design for The Flasher?

Another leg directly opposite what looks like The Flasher and the second one stretching over the airtime hill has circular sections on it. Could this have been The Hypnotiser?

If we look closely at the front leg on the left we can see what appear to be 2 barrels. The Giggler?

Two of the other legs have nothing on. But they have very large black sections under the legs which if you look at closely are translucent? Could this have been a marker rather than a physical thing to say there will be a head chopper here? In which case these 2 larger sections could have been The Tickler and The Inoculator.

Finally we have a leg with spikes on. it would seem that this is the one that was dropped from the final design. Either that or it evolved into The Inoculator.

Then of course you have the satellite dishes that have turned out exactly the same.

So it's my opinion that the theme has always been the same, it's simply been further developed (as you'd expect) and slightly covered up in the original plans so as not to give the theme away this time last year.

I think its part evolution of the original and also due to either secrecy or Studios not finalising the design, the 'grey' version is simply the outlines with no detailing on. Meaning that it was never (realistically) going to look like that, or with that finish, just that that's the rough shape it would fit in which gives them a lot of freedom with evolving the idea they had.

If you look back a year or two, you will see some mood boards were created about the rise of machines. The black and white spider was for that theme. If someone with more time can track and link to them that would help the newer members associate the theme.
I vaguely remember being told that at this time the ride was going to be called Machina

I think the back leg is the giggler on the image above and the leg with 2 barrels is the inoculator leg.

I agree that the original and the marmaliser are quite similar. At first I thought the central structure on the original was some sort of observatory. But it could also be lots of monitors. To me, it has never really worked with the 'abandoned' theme of the rest of the design - boarded up windows, etc. It seems to clash with the clinical nature of 'the facility'. Is the facility supposed to be abandoned or is it something the MOJ have just finished?

The reason I asked about the van was in relation to my previous flight of fancy in the Sanctuary thread about a queue-line video, maybe of someone 'investigating' the MOJ and serving emergency transmissions. It would reinforce the sinister nature of the ride...I know it does seem pretty obvious but the 'smiling' thing is meant to be achieved by negative intervention and I'm sure there's going to be visitors who don't get that part! But like I said, flight of fancy that I probably haven't thought through properly :p

In response to the War of the Worlds suggestion - the fighting machines only had three legs!

Laura said:
The reason I asked about the van was in relation to my previous flight of fancy in the Sanctuary thread about a queue-line video, maybe of someone 'investigating' the MOJ and serving emergency transmissions. It would reinforce the sinister nature of the ride...I know it does seem pretty obvious but the 'smiling' thing is meant to be achieved by negative intervention and I'm sure there's going to be visitors who don't get that part!

If the music which featured on the app advert is used I think it will help to reinforce the 'sinister' side of the attraction. The music is almost mocking and taunting the listener, I really love it! :twirly:

Is that a flying support? :p

155780_469205449816571_509918939_n.jpg

(Thanks to TowersStreet Facebook)

Here is where Superman support has safely landed:
155647_10151630512693185_713858858_n.jpg

(Thanks to TowersTimes Facebook)

Vertical lift hill lets begin! :twirly:

[The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

Vertical lift support!

y6ysy6u2.jpg

[The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

2uhupuvy.jpg

The vertical lift base installed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

602003_10151630539413185_702116674_n.jpg

(TowersTimes Facebook)

They're getting this up quickly!

Alastair said:
Vertical lift support!

y6ysy6u2.jpg

That picture highlights the detail on the spiders legs really well. They look really good that close up imo ;D

Now that's what I like to see! Hopefully they can add to it throughout the day!

:)

Here is a photo of the wooden structure, which we think is looking increasingly likely to be a HB Leisure stall, as it has a similar look to other games stands.

903956_469284356475347_779794409_o.jpg

I think that a HB leisure stall is perfect themeing for The Smiler. Lets face it, the Smiler is all about "Marmalising" you and making you smile, and thats all you ever do when you're paying £5 to throw 3 balls at a stack of cans.

Good move Alton Towers!

:twirly:

They need to get a pressure washer on those walls though!

Having not been through the Sanctuary I am looking forward to whatever story elements they incorporate into the queue.

rightbackgranty said:
I think that a HB leisure stall is perfect themeing for The Smiler. Lets face it, the Smiler is all about "Marmalising" you and making you smile, and thats all you ever do when you're paying £5 to throw 3 balls at a stack of cans.

Good move Alton Towers!

:twirly:

This is sarcasm, right?

It's not a shipping container...therefore I'm pleased! Lets face it, there's gunna be a 14-15 inversion coaster directly behind it, intertwining with a huge intercative theme element! who's Gunna be looking at a static piece of theming... And, it's built from scratch. I'm ambivalent.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.