• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates / Ride Speculation Part 2 *SPOILER FREE*

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: [The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

stretchy said:
If you look back a year or two, you will see some mood boards were created about the rise of machines. The black and white spider was for that theme. If someone with more time can track and link to them that would help the newer members associate the theme.
I vaguely remember being told that at this time the ride was going to be called Machina

Were these the ones shown during the development of Th13teen? I remember seeing a machines mood board for that although don't remember a spider like creature. I had assumed that if there was one on there someone would have mentioned it before now. Annoyingly though I can't find any images of that particular mood board.

If someone finds it I'd love to see it (regardless of if it's the one I've seen or not).

Could it be a shop or vending machine stand?

Not too bothered about the games booth, it's set back away from the rest of the ride, and they have them everywhere else anyway.

Here is the machines concept board:

1qjynk.png

Bigger: http://i45.tinypic.com/1qjynk.png

I like that its a "Machines" concept and they've got a Bug in there from Starship Troopers :p

CoasterCrazyChris said:
rightbackgranty said:
I think that a HB leisure stall is perfect themeing for The Smiler. Lets face it, the Smiler is all about "Marmalising" you and making you smile, and thats all you ever do when you're paying £5 to throw 3 balls at a stack of cans.

Good move Alton Towers!

:twirly:
This is sarcasm, right?

Just ;)

I am almost certain that the Machines Mood Board originates from the 13 era, or at the very least, there was a very similar idea mooted when 13 was being built. I seem to remember that a member back on TTF was asked about a number of concepts regarding what they would like the style of new ride (AKA 13) to be and displayed a number of mood boards including the eventually used dark forest, machines, alien-esque bugs and something to do with the desert/rocks.

I seem to remember thinking that the Dark Forest lent itself best to a rollercoaster, but the Machines concept lent itself best to the Robo-arms that were also rumoured to be appearing when 13 opened. There were certainly some very nice concept images in the mood boards of both the new rollercoaster and the new flat ride/robo-arms that they wanted to install.

I wouldn't be surprised if they reused some, if not all, of the three unused concepts from 13 though.

I'd call myself 95% positive on this - hopefully some old gits like me that have been stalking Alton Towers forums for years can back me up!

It's from the Thirteen questionnaire.

There were quite a few. Dark Forest, machines, racers, rock blasting, and there's a few others in a post in TSTuesdays.

Was on park today and had a gander at the site.

The first thing that struck me was how impressive the Marmaliser looks in real life, as I have said countless times I am waiting for the final product before declaring judgement though I have expressed a few concerns. I still stand by the fact I think the thing would look better completely clad but even so it looks frickin good in the flesh. It's imposing and in parts quite detailed, also the "bins" attached to it look quite good.

My only two issues with it are:

A - i dont like The Tickler leg, its odd and also a bit bland. I am not passing final judgement here as more could be added to it but it doesn't seem to be that obvious where extra embellishments other than the hoses will go.

B - The straps holding the barrels and tank things look shoddy and cover the logo's

But that's really nit-picking (as geeks do), the overall effect of the thing is impressive and it still has one leg and more theming to be added. Pictures don't do it justice.

Does anyone know why the ladder up to the catwalk for the trim brake hasn't been painted to match the track and catwalk? It really stands out being bare metal. I know it's always possible that it could be painted in situ, but all the metalwork so far has arived on site pre-painted.

DiogoJ42 said:
Does anyone know why the ladder up to the catwalk for the trim brake hasn't been painted to match the track and catwalk? It really stands out being bare metal. I know it's always possible that it could be painted in situ, but all the metalwork so far has arived on site pre-painted.

They probably didn't read the instructions closely enough when they read "complete rollercoaster kit*"

It really does stick out like a sore thumb!

* Does not include ladders to catwalk

To be honest, I will be happy if they get this thing ready on time. Anything else is a bonus such as a neet paint job is a bonus!

Thats odd has all of X-secor was steam cleaned over winter :p

DiogoJ42 said:

We were thinking the same too today. We also saw that new ladders had been put up the supports of Blade too. These aren't so bad, but the ones on Blade have really had an impact on the ride's aesthetics, imo. :(

BigAl said:
DiogoJ42 said:

We were thinking the same too today. We also saw that new ladders had been put up the supports of Blade too. These aren't so bad, but the ones on Blade have really had an impact on the ride's aesthetics, imo. :(
Do you have images of the new ladders on Blade?

It's a shame as things such as painting the ladders black make the ride that little bit better. (I know it's only a small thing but it does seem to stick out compared to the black track and theming surrounding it...)

No we only noticed them late in the day as we were rushing for our last two rides. I may be there today but there are a load of TST peeps going on Sunday so an image will appear soon enough. :p

Back on topic, yesterday there were people wearing hard hats with the Blue Peter logo on them taking photos all around the site of the Smiler. There wasn't any filming being done so I wonder if they were taking a few shots of it being built and will eventually get some footage once the ride is open, just like they did for Nemesis, Oblivion and Air?

Question, why is the one SW that Blue Peter haven't covered the most suitable one for their target audience? :p

Perhaps they didn't think that SW was quite as interesting? Maybe they were busy when it opened? :p

More likely that the marketing BS spewed from Morewonga's ad-hole made the producers think it was inapropriate for children. Don't forget, at one stage they were saying there would be a minimum age limit.

BigDave said:
Thats odd has all of X-secor was steam cleaned over winter :p

X Sector outside of the construction barriers was steam cleaned over winter...

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.