• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates / Ride Speculation Part 2 *SPOILER FREE*

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: [The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

Oooh I didn't realise that the lettering is raised from the main sheet of metal, that's a nice little touch. I just assumed that it would be printed on. It is strange how much work has been done on the four legs that are up yet work on the fifth leg has not even begun. I'm sure there is a good reason for this though!

Also it looks like the final turn around should be completed today which is good news!

:)

Rob said:
Oooh I didn't realise that the lettering is raised from the main sheet of metal, that's a nice little touch. I just assumed that it would be printed on. It is strange how much work has been done on the four legs that are up yet work on the fifth leg has not even begun. I'm sure there is a good reason for this though!

Also it looks like the final turn around should be completed today which is good news!

Can't remember who suggested it earlier in the topic but i think the idea that they will need to put the crane in the public part of X-Sector to get it up might be an issue. Also the leg might encroach on where the safety fence is at the moment.

Dave said:
Rob said:

Can't remember who suggested it earlier in the topic but i think the idea that they will need to put the crane in the public part of X-Sector to get it up might be an issue. Also the leg might encroach on where the safety fence is at the moment.

Yeah it was me, I think even for health and safety reasons they'd be operating it that close to the public area they may need to.

People are talking on Facebook about the fins on the lift possibly being for a 'dummy drop', i.e. the car reaches the top of the lift, drops back down to the bottom and then goes up again.

Can someone with a bit more technical knowledge just quickly debunk this one for me? I'm sure it's rubbish, but I can't work out myself why it definitely isn't true...

Sam said:
People are talking on Facebook about the fins on the lift possibly being for a 'dummy drop', i.e. the car reaches the top of the lift, drops back down to the bottom and then goes up again.

Can someone with a bit more technical knowledge just quickly debunk this one for me? I'm sure it's rubbish, but I can't work out myself why it definitely isn't true...

First issue would be getting the train to disengage the chain, wouldn't be impossible but tricky. Second issue is the fins go nearly to the top of the lift-hill, would be a very dull slow drop.

Technically they'd only need to turn the motor off and the weight of the train will make it fall.

Blaze said:
Technically they'd only need to turn the motor off and the weight of the train will make it fall.

True but the drag of the chain and the fins would make it a slow laborious decline down the hill.

Dave said:
Blaze said:

True but the drag of the chain and the fins would make it a slow laborious decline down the hill.

But some of the fins could be retracted ;)

Seriously though, as fun an idea it sounds, I seriously doubt it will happen. It would be a worlds first I guess, but it would likely be very dull and would significantly affect the throughput of the ride!

I seriously do think, the fins are only there as the sort of anti-rollback alternative for the ease of evacuation, nothing more, nothing fancy! :)

Also wouldn't it cause damage on the chain itself? Not to mention the effect it may have on throughput!

I don't really see the point? It's not as if it would be a surprise, as you'd be watching it from the queueline for a potentially good couple of hours...

It would be very easy to reverse the motor and drive the cars back down the hill at any speed, that way you wouldn't need to disengage the catcher.
But you would then use the motor as the brake as well so wouldn't need the fins.
As has been said though what would be the point as you could see it from the queue, unless the hill is going to have some sort of screen around it which to my knowledge it isn't.

Credit to ATG, but does anyone have a clue to what this structure could be?:

149043_551700178194498_1602615023_n.jpg

Rollercoasters4Life said:

(Click for larger image - Stuff in orange is unknown as to whether it is happening as of yet)

I believe it may be the orange building at the bottom of the plan. What it's for, I'm not sure- the writing on here is too small.

EDIT- after looking at a higher resolution plan, it says it's a "stilted jetty". Also, nearby on the plans is a "Kiosk", which it could also possibly be.

Nick said:
Rollercoasters4Life said:

(Click for larger image - Stuff in orange is unknown as to whether it is happening as of yet)

I believe it may be the orange building at the bottom of the plan. What it's for, I'm not sure- the writing on here is too small.

EDIT- after looking at a higher resolution plan, it says it's a "stilted jetty". Also, nearby on the plans is a "Kiosk", which it could also possibly be.

Here's the higher res version of that area:

f68a77ba373bd08a3f46ef092f264115.png

It looks to me like it's fairly temporary, like the shuttering they used for some footers near the vertical lift trench. Could be some work to prepare for the walkway down maybe? I'm really not sure.

I belive the queue line shop has been built already, its a bit further back and can be seen in some recent photos. Currently its just a wooden building with a roof.

No idea what this current building could be.

could it be a themeing feature? also, it doesnt look like feature b is happening

Someone mentioned somewhere they were building a utility building for mist and water effects on the marmaliser. Could it be this building?

Can I add:

HAHAHAHAHA!

Ahhhh, that's better ;D

Now, wording boys and girls?

"World's first free fall vertical chain lift hill ascent drop"?

Think I will be taking the early thoughts of those in here of a new, very sensible, and rather clever new potential reversing car. Always wondered why other coasters didn't have this fitted, to simply move the car back down the track - never made sense to me. If Gerst have managed this, well done to them, and really begins to back their development into one of the true coaster giants and more equal players.

They're Germans right? It was bound to happen eventually!

[The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

No chance of the intentional drop idea happening. The system required would be far too complex and time consuming to the ride cycle. The new super heavy trains add even further doubt.

-Sent from a mobile phone-

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.