• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates / Ride Speculation Part 2 *SPOILER FREE*

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: [The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

From photos posted over on TT it looks like they have started to fill in the footers at the bottom of the site with concrete, which is good. They have also been touching up the track with black paint. Hopefully some jet washers will make an appearance just before the thing opens!

:)

This coaster is looking absolutely insane.

The theming, on the other hand, is not.

Updated my overview map, taken things out that currently haven't appeared such as Theming B objects, Stilted Jetty, 6th Marmaliser leg, Plaza and replaced Theming element C with a games unit. Added arrows to show movement direction, numbered the inversions & colour coded sections of track with a key supplied.

Here it is:

8657619896_a9ed7ab14e_b.jpg

(Click here to see it bigger)

Map is correct as of 8:30AM on 17th April 2013

One thing that hasn't been considered is the first lift hill... Could this be rotating?

max-rpm-lift-ci.jpg

It's still possible for a washing machine effect

When the plans first came out, we all counted 8 outdoor inversions and one possible inside.

The two inverted drops were missed, but what else?

The plans have been almost entirely accurate then apart from showing the extra inversions and the ground level?

josht said:

Oh no no no, lets not start this washing machine rubbish again. ;)

I am not sure a inversion on the lift hill would be the best idea, they might do it, but I can imagine it being a little uncomfortable.

Also, if there is an inversion of the lift hill, it might be why they have left it to last.

I am still doubtful, as other rides will inverting lift hills have been uncomfortable.

Ian

Given all the track there is for this ride, I can't believe people think that there'd be enough money in the budget to accomodate a gimmicky element now :p

Tom said:
Given all the track there is for this ride, I can't believe people think that there'd be enough money in the budget to accomodate a gimmicky element now :p

This is a Gerstlauer you do remember? The cost of Shambhala at PA was only £2m more than The Smiler's £18m and that required significantly taller and more hefty supports and over 1200ft more track (much thicker and more costly track, may I remind you). I'd say there would be plenty enough left in the budget to be honest.

I disagree. Given the amount of land that's had to be moved for this, the massive pit being built, the amount of concrete poured near enough across the whole site, all the concrete walls used to enforce the land around it, the Marmaliser, which is most likely the most expensive piece of theming Alton Towers has invested into and the obvious fact this will have been in construction 2 months over it's originally planned date for opening.

Personally I doubt there will be much money left. The coaster itself will be the cheapest aspect. Everything else will have swallowed up the budget quite quickly. I think we would be rather surprised at how much everything else for this project has cost.

James said:
josht said:

Oh no no no, lets not start this washing machine rubbish again. ;)

This is off topic but I can't not mention it! When I was in X-Sector last week taking photos of The Smiler I heard a group of people shout out "lets go on the washing machine!" I can only assume they were referring to Enterprise, they said it a couple of times. I couldn't help but chuckle to myself slightly! :p

In other more relevant news, it looks like the inverted drops are now being built.

All my thinking is is that there isn't much room left for this rumoured 15th inversion. I've not seen many coasters constructed where the lift is the last piece to be installed, although appreciate that this is where the main access to the site is.

But still, an inverting lift can't be ruled out just yet

I personally can't see there being an inverted lift (and I owe someone a chocolate bar over a bet about one if there is so there had better not be :p ). The only thing that does partly hint that there might be is the possible 15th inversion. However 14 was the initial and very strong rumour and staff on park seem to think it will just be 14. I may be on park tomorrow so if I am I'll take a look at the supports for the first lift, though from what I remember they seem very conventional.

I think there is enough nausea inducing stuff on this ride without having a washing machine element too!

I've just booked a Friends&Family ticket on the phone and part of the on-hold 'spiel' was about The Smiler (no surprise there,) but some of the comments were;

"opening in May" - so must be a pretty up-to-date message.
"the first of its kind in the world" - hope its not a similar claim to "first pshcoaster" BS!
"alton towers' biggest ever coaster" - which we all know anyway.

*cant remember anymore, but they were obviously pushing it big style, naturally of course. (£18m investment.)

Still think we are all in for some 'world's first' element that none of us (apart from the team probably ;) ) have even thought of.

Alton Towers Guide have reported the trains are on site:

528448_552009601496889_756326643_n.jpg

Danny said:

;D

Do they put them on before they seal the track as it were? Or maybe they will use them as sledges and ride down the big slopes?

Rollercoasters4Life said:
TheMan said:
Danny said:

;D

Do they put them on before they seal the track as it were?

They will be put into the maintenance shed ready for when they are needed for testing.

Ahhh yes makes sense, stick them on the transfer track... DUH! Still, it is a shame to think they wont be riding them around X-Sector!

;D

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.