• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates / Ride Speculation Part 2 *SPOILER FREE*

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: [The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

I would be quite happy to see something special in the station or in the straight section following the indoor inversion. It would be really nice to see an effort at a preshow - we know that something similar has been attempted on Saw and Blue Fire, so I don't see why a bit of theatrics isn't possible.

We don't need anything "spectacular" ie a washing machine element. We already have 14 inversions, lets not be too greedy! A bit of theatrics could help balance this ride out nicely. During my regular day dreaming sessions I thought that something similar to the haunted mansion at WDW would be cool - a pretend mirror on the station doors that superimposes a Smiler face onto the riders face - would be cool and relatively simple to implement.

Just to add weight to chocolatestarfish's credibility - he works in theme park maintenance (source - "Whats Your Job?" Topic in Coffee Corner). Thinking (fairly) logically (in my own opinion), If anyone was to have a contact in another park that had decent information it would be him. More so than someone like SpinDoctor that apparently is dating the brothers sisters uncle of the head of advertising at the park.

Sammy said:
Just to make it clear, I wasn't shooting anybody down,

Important to add, what you said is right in terms of how people react, I was merely adding we shouldn't be bothered by it or discourage others from postering, rather as a site defend peoples rights to discuss freely and that there will be many grateful of the information.

I know that is a bit off topic there, and I appreciate it is a warning to Monsieur C. Fish based on previous experiences lol!

There is definitely something else going on other than inversions, there has to be or John's comments make no sense. "You have to ride it to find out". Not true of the inversion record, as the inlines are in place in the game, and the rest simply takes checking out the construction or pictures.

I've said this for a while, plus they market both first & beating as separate entities.

It's going to be a world beater, AND a world first, and there will be some surprises yet - and if there isn't, then the game, the marketing, John's comments, and a near constant supply of secrecy and rumour will all be wrong!

How likely is that? Not very if you ask me.

Standing by my assertion that there is something unique coming aside from a couple more upside down bits than Colossus Mk II.

That is simply not the Alton Towers way.

I still believe that there is something other than inversions. I have no idea what though. They have made it sound like there is going to be a surprise as it were when you ride The Smiler. Inversions to me would not be this. I don't think Wardley would have said what he did in that interview if there wasn't something other than inversions, unless he had been given strict instructions about what to say.

:)

If there is something other than inversions, I personally believe it'll be quite gimmicky, not to say it'll be bad, just something ridiculous we'd never had thought of.

Merlin have strange minds, something I'd LOVE to tap into!

Remember a while back John Wardley was interviewed about The Smiler on a radio show?

He did say on air that there was something very special about the ride that they were keeping under wraps until you actually ride it for the first time.

Now... I don't know the guy at all, but I'm guessing he's not the type to make stuff up.

So I wouldn't be surprised if there was something in the station. Whether that's a world first or not, though... not sure.

I keep wondering why they have a straight piece of track enclosed. they would not spend money on enclosing a section of track for no good reason.

rightbackgranty said:
Just to add weight to chocolatestarfish's credibility - he works in theme park maintenance (source - "Whats Your Job?" Topic in Coffee Corner). Thinking (fairly) logically (in my own opinion), If anyone was to have a contact in another park that had decent information it would be him.

Damn you beat me to that point Granty ;D

It is a massive credit to Merlin and the team that even (supposedly) less than a month from opening, we still don't know the innermost secrets of this coaster. Even millions of aerial/ground pictures haven't managed to establish what the elusive world's first is. Whatever you might say about Merlin, you can't deny that they know how to create and maintain interest in their investments even before they've opened!

But we will know the secrets two days before, when GMTV do a badly filmed promo piece for it.

Blaze said:
But we will know the secrets two days before, when GMTV do a badly filmed promo piece for it.

We'll just have to hope that they learn from their mistakes... :/

Is there a positive yes to the ride cars being in the maintenance area of the ride? If so does this mean the maint area is ready to go or do they carry on the set up the equipment after the delivery?

Blaze said:

I thought the marketing team has changed since then?

With the greatest of respects ChocolateStarfish, if you can't provide verifiable information, then I cannot believe you are necessarily speaking the truth or if you are, that the information you were given is accurate.

That goes for anyone who claims to post information from unidentified inside sources. As a simple rule of reasoning, I don't advise that anyone assume something they hear to be true unless they can have evidence to scrutinise.

Morning all,

Was at Alton Towers yesterday and its the first time I have seen The Smiler up close, it is HUGE! Cannot wait for this to be opened! Here are some pictures from yesterday.

DSCF7188_zpse92f43c2.jpg

Whilst eating lunch in Fried Chicken Company (which we also won for free due to the red button challange!) we saw Barney from Blue Peter who was on site!

The rest of the photos are on my Facebook here

[The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

The freshly delivered lift hill parts have gone straight to the site. I can see them coming off the trailer as I eat my fried chicken!

Will be up over the weekend to get updates etc. Certainly exciting times :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

First lift hill is currently being lifted into place, will try to get pics later!

547441_552316824799500_2027765837_n.jpg

The covers on the Fences have been taken down today, gives a nice view of the ride!

Credit to Alton Towers Guide

They may be taking down the banners in preparation for the installation of the fifth Marmaliser leg. Since it's getting darker later now they will have an open window after park closes to install it.

With the banners down the fences can be moved while the crane is put in X-Sector to install the leg, then I would assume the construction fence will just poke out a little for clearance.

Looks like they may start putting up the permanent fencing around the ride too, towards the upper parts of X-Sector! Getting more exciting now!

[The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

e7ysareb.jpg

First bit of the lift hill in. Next part is imminent!

Apologies for the bad iPhone pic!

A load of popular Youtubers are on park today including KSIOlajideBT, Syndicate and Calfreezy. Won't make sense to you if you haven't watched any of them but they are very popular.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.