• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates / Ride Speculation Part 2 *SPOILER FREE*

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: [The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

Never one to foolishly speculate but.

On the Disorientator Video there are numbers going around the top...ending in 16/18 (haven't got my glasses on so can't tell xD) so yeah.

16/18 disorientations/inversions?

If The Smiler does use projection mapping then im sure it will be amazing! I'd hoped they'd do something like this so I can't wait to see how it turns out! :D

Sorry if I sound a bit stupid here, but what exactly is project mapping? =)

Oh thanks Scott =) Now that is gonna look epic on Smiler! :D

TedTheHuman said:
Sorry if I sound a bit stupid here, but what exactly is project mapping? =)

The Guy Fawkes head on the pike we saw at the London Dungeons uses projection mapping to create that effect. It's a projection technology used to turn objects into a something that moves basically, as opposed to animatronics :)

EDIT: Beaten to it :(

Knowing Altons bad luck with projectors, I can see this being broken half the time.

TedTheHuman said:
I did use a stunning example though, so don't expect anything of that scale, grandeur or quality haha!

I wonder if we could see something to do with the station with the projection mapping? I just don't know why they would paint that spiral in grey instead of the "brand" yellow?

Also, a great example of projection mapping with sound can be found here: http://vimeo.com/41486619

I was already excited enough, and now, projection mapping as well? Oh, Towers, I think you may be restoring my faith in you!! This baby can't open soon enough!! :D

Scott said:
TedTheHuman said:
I did use a stunning example though, so don't expect anything of that scale, grandeur or quality haha!

Considering Disneyland gets charged an arm and a leg to have the show edited and updated I think we can rule out anything that fancy happening :p

It'll be interesting to see what they do though if it does indeed come to fruition. I imagine it'll be something in that section before the first lift hill. Perhaps making the walls move in or spin, or similar.

I'm guessing the technology will be used in the indoor section. The image said new technology in terms of projection mapping, so I doubt it's the usual as seen at Disney. Perhaps it could be interaction with a hologram whilst moving through the inline twist?

It'll put Air's tunnel to shame at least!

EuroSatch said:
It'll put Air's tunnel to shame at least!
let's be honest though, most multi-storey car parks put Air's tunnel to shame...

I don't think we can expect projection mapping on the outside of the station simply because it requires a dark atmosphere to work. Projection mapping needs a dark environment so will if used be inside of the ride. The best example of projection mapping i have seen in the theme park world as part of a ride is Woodan at EP and it is all located in the indoor bits if the queue,

On the game, the indoor section has the smiley face. My bet is on the real thing the faces will be animated using this amazing eye sex technology.

Hang on.

That says "pre-show".

What if this is in the station? Who says you need to be ON the ride?

TheMan said:
Hang on.

That says "pre-show".

What if this is in the station? Who says you need to be ON the ride?

no-one

thats where it gets interesting

:)

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.