• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates / Ride Speculation Part 2 *SPOILER FREE*

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: [The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

James said:
I think this will be like Nemesis. It's intense, but enjoyable so you want to ride it again and again.

Obviously all lies down to if it will be rough or not. If it's a painful ride, that's what will cause no one to re-ride it.

I do not think for a moment though that intensity will push people away from re-riding it. Quite a lot of intense rides around the world prove this.

It's less about intensity though I think James mate, more about being insanely disorientating.

I love high intensity rides, Nemesis is always refreshing after most other rides for the way it drills you round that course. I love the launch coasters etc, so force and intensity is a win from me.

What isn't though, is head bending tricks, coupled to being spun all over the place. That's what I mean anyway, I HOPE it is very intense and not disorientating to the extreme. That's where I believe it will cross that line between amazing coaster, and just a step too far.

Even if it isn't a step too far, I reckon it will be very close to that line - that is clearly what they are going for here, pushing that envelope of tolerance. They've been quite open about that being the goal.

I'll be bricking it before riding this beast that's for sure.

I have a feeling those trims are going to be required.

Where are people getting 'projection mapping' from. There'll be strobes and maybe some TV's at most. It isn't like they have the space to work with anything more grand, it was enclosed very early on with no sign of tunnels or such.

TheMan said:
I'll be bricking it before riding this beast that's for sure.
Isn't that the sign of a good ride though. First time I rode Oblivion I was like that, same for Nemesis. Not so with the rest of tower's crop though, and this is what The Smiler brings back and I for one really like that concept.

Edit - @Burn.e - there is a post earlier on here where ROB found an article by a projection mapping company where they said they were working with Towers.

Re Projection Mapping. Maybe were getting the wrong end of the stick here. maybe the projection mapping will be projecting smiler faces onto the riders for the on ride photo?

Burn.e said:
I have a feeling those trims are going to be required.

Where are people getting 'projection mapping' from. There'll be strobes and maybe some TV's at most. It isn't like they have the space to work with anything more grand, it was enclosed very early on with no sign of tunnels or such.
LiamC said:
Why are people talking about mapping as if it's a dead certainty? Have I missed something somewhere :/

I'd be happy with just solid theming pre lift to be honest :)

See Rob's earlier post:

Rob said:
So it looks like The Smiler will feature projection mapping:

2vbonsh.jpg
vynqbn.jpg

(Source, jordanw on TT).

Interesting to see what they do with it! I'd imagine it will be used in the indoor section.

:)

I don't know if it will be testing by then, but myself and Danny are at the park this Wednesday coming so hopefully if there is we'll be able to get something to put on here. I won't cross my fingers though. :p

Cheers for that Al, must have missed it.

I really hope they do use projection mapping as, in the case of places like Mystic Point, Disney Dreams and in such things like Wodan's queue line, when it's used properly it can look absolutely incredible!

However, the only time I've seen it used at a Merlin attraction is in the new London Dungeons during the Guy Fawkes scene and I wan't really that impressed with their use of it. That was, however, only a tiny use of it and I'd like to think on a scale such as The Smiler it would look stunning regardless of where it was used on the ride :)

Burn.e said:
I remain unconvinced. Th13teen crypt all over again.

Thing is, we didn't know what was going to be in Thirteen's crypt until the ride opened. There were lots of rumours regarding screens etc but these were just rumours and false ones at that. This time we have heard from Merlin that they plan to use projection mapping. Of course we don't know how well or to what extent but it looks like it will definitely be used.

Also just had another look at the article and lower down it mentions "interactive concrete". Could this be in relation to The Smiler? It's a shame that the whole article is not readable.

:)

Burn.e said:

I've never really understood what people anger towards Th13teen's crypt/station is all about? The ride itself is terrible prior the crypt, I will give you that, and was marketed in completely the wrong way for the final product. I think everyone agrees with that. However, theming wise in the crypt and station is not as bad as everyone bangs on about.

The black sheets that cover a lot of the ceilings etc. look terrible and are a quick, cheap fix to something that could have been done better. However, the theming in the crypt is spot on and lends itself well to the whole story. As does the station in my opinion. The premise of the ride is that something has been unearthed whilst building work has been going on, hence the scaffolding etc.

The majority of people jumped to massive, wild conclusions with Th13teen and where then disappointed when these fantasies didn't come to fruition as to what was actually going to happen in the crypt. Another case of people not waiting for the final product ;)

Burn.e said:

But the Th13teen crypt 3D screens only existed in people's heads. With 20 or so lines of text in an article we have 100% more evidence that The Smiler will have this than we ever did with Th13teen.

I would be cautious to get too excited about the projection mapping. I think the Thirteen hype taught us a lot, but at least we know the rest of the ride is likely to be good even if the extra touches rumored turn out to be naff. ;D

I'm still choosing not to believe they managed to sneak in a giant revolving mechanism under cover of darkness and install it and cover it without any of us noticing.

Blaze said:
I'm still choosing not to believe they managed to sneak in a giant revolving mechanism under cover of darkness and install it and cover it without any of us noticing.

There is definitely no trick track, the video will be referring to the indoor inversion and potentially some effects.

TheMan said:
Er.

bex said:
omg guys

have you actually thought that the worlds first beating element could actually have something to do with the marmaliser and maybe something to do with laughing gas. That is the rumours that are going round my school and alton towers when we went in january. we are going again in june 13th 2013 if anyone wishes to join me :twirly:

Whilst I'd LOL if they did use it, perhaps some light reading:

Nitrous oxide is a volatile substance which is a gas at room temperature. It belongs to a group of drugs which kills pain.

Nitrous oxide has many legitmate uses but some people misuse it because when inhaled it can make people feel euphoric and relaxed. This happy feeling has led to it being nicknamed ‘laughing gas’. Some people have also experienced hallucinations.

However, like other volatile substances found in glue or aerosols, it can cause death even on first time use. This is due to suffocation from a loss of the oxygen available to you.

Nitrous oxide can sometimes be sold to recreational users in balloons.

There are three main legitimate uses of nitrous oxide:
• To numb pain during medical procedures such as dental work.
• In engines to increase their power output.
• In catering, in some aerosal cans like whipped cream and in food packaging.
Courtesy Talk to Frank

Whilst I am sure there are a few that would join in welcoming such an addition to Alton Towers, I believe the chances are rather somewhat remote ;D

Probably the BEST bit of speculation so far though lol!!
Thanks I just got a text of my cousin who just so happens to be working as a cleaner at alton towers and he has actually said the canisters which are attached to one of the smilers legs will contain a gas but they are unsure what yet so keep your hopes up for laughing gas. And they use laughing gas when you are in labour so could actually be used and pass h&s :twirly:

TheBaron said:
bex said:
omg guys

have you actually thought that the worlds first beating element could actually have something to do with the marmaliser and maybe something to do with laughing gas. That is the rumours that are going round my school and alton towers when we went in january. we are going again in june 13th 2013 if anyone wishes to join me :twirly:

I'm sure there'll be no health and safety issues with gassing park guests... ::)
no of course not :twirly:

bex said:
Thanks I just got a text of my cousin who just so happens to be working as a cleaner at alton towers...

Not sure if trolling, or being ironic.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

Without wanting to sound rude... Even if you know a cleaner at Towers, they won't know what is going to happen effects wise, and if they did they wouldn't be telling anyone.

There is no way any real gasses will be used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

bex said:
Thanks I just got a text of my cousin who just so happens to be working as a cleaner at alton towers and he has actually said the canisters which are attached to one of the smilers legs will contain a gas but they are unsure what yet so keep your hopes up for laughing gas. And they use laughing gas when you are in labour so could actually be used and pass h&s :twirly:

Yeah, well my boyfriend who just so happens to be working as a ride operator at Alton Towers has actually said that...no. There won't be laughing gas.

As Scott says, without wanting to be rude, but...
There are several members of this forum that have much closer connections to the park than a cleaner, and even they don't know that sort of detail.
Given that, the already mentioned H&S issues, and the sheer absurdity of the idea, I'm sure you can understand our scepticism of your claim. ;)

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.