• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates / Ride Speculation Part 2 *SPOILER FREE*

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: [The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

This is all starting to sound very familiar...

"Th13teen is going to have 360' 3D screens that don't need glasses and a full motion simulator platform!!111!"

Don't get your hopes up too much guys, it will only end badly. ;)

At best I'm expecting simple projection of a logo on to a flat wall with the eyes spinning. Anyone expecting another Wodan queueline is going to be disapointed.

But that wouldn't be projection mapping... that would just be projection. For it to be mapping it has to be on an object, so we at least know something will look really cool (no matter how small!).

I'm not expecting anything big or large-scale, but the thought that projection mapping may be involved to create a pre-show or illusion inside is really exciting.

DiogoJ42 said:
This is all starting to sound very familiar...

"Th13teen is going to have 360' 3D screens that don't need glasses and a full motion simulator platform!!111!"

Don't get your hopes up too much guys, it will only end badly. ;)

At best I'm expecting simple projection of a logo on to a flat wall with the eyes spinning. Anyone expecting another Wodan queueline is going to be disapointed.

To be very honest Diogo i doubt anyone expects anything really, we know what the likelihood is regarding theming genius when it comes to Merlin by now and don't expect too much.

That said Merlin Studios have created a unique theme proposition here unlike EP did with Wodan (it's not exactly a unique theme idea, just well presented).... EP don't do out of the box thinking, they take what is already out there and make it better.

I get the feeling The Smiler will be out of the box thinking that isn't quite implemented as well as EP could do it (EP don't do much out-of-the-box thinking)

* EP = Europa Park

Scott said:
But that wouldn't be projection mapping... that would just be projection.
That was my point ;)

[The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

DiogoJ42 said:
Scott said:
But that wouldn't be projection mapping... that would just be projection.
That was my point ;)
Well let's agree to disagree... I hope we'll see some form of projection mapping but equally I'll be happy with a few strobes and some smiley faces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Hmmm, the Disorientator...projection mapping. And that's just what's come out in one day! I wonder just how smug Candy Holland feels when she reads these boards and realises that no one has a clue what's going to occur on on around this ride. :p

*tries to write a positive post*

Whether we get projection mapping or not, I think it is great that there is likely to be more to the interior theming than just smiley faces painted on white walls.

Also, just to throw another idea into the mix....could The Disorientator possibly be some kind of mist screen near miss element that the train travels through? Maybe theming feature B?

With regards to the project mapping, what about it being Dr Kelman explaining either why we need to smile or something regarding the ride?

Anything immersive inside and i'm happy.

Basically!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Hmmm, ties in with something I heard months ago that "effects" would be used to create trommel tunnel style effect indoors.

I won't celebrate projection mapping until I've seen it. They use it in the Dungeons to attempt to make a few dummies look like people but it doesn't really work too well, imo. :p

Agreed. As much as I like Projection Mapping (and I really do love it for illusion based effects) It all depends on the execution. Even the likes of Disney can be hit and miss when they use it.

But its great to hear that they are planning to include it :)

The gadget show did a piece on projection mapping a couple of years ago, projecting onto marble arch. I cant find a link to the entire thing, but it showed how they create a 3D model of the area they project on to, and create the animations on computer. Quite an interesting watch if you can find it, especially if you're unsure of the process.

The finished show is on youtube, just search for Gadgetvader.

MY guess is that the mapping won't be on the indoor drop/heartline. The game is already accurate and I believe we'll see the smiler faces projected with the flasher. There would be no point spending an extreme amount of money to projection map on to a section of the ride that lasts less than a few seconds.

The mapping will occur pre lift probably with a 30 second show (there about). If they pull off something like the Sony most immersive movie experience it'll be amazing.

In fact I'd wager money on that, if it's not pre ride (e.g. in the queue) it'll 100% be in the tunnel before the lift and not on the heartline roll. It makes sense that the flasher will disorientate you enough (by blinding you temporary) that when the train comes to a stop in the tunnel hopefully you'll be transported to a totally surreal place (with the use of projection mapping) that'll give you a real "where the hell am I?" experience. One second you were in the station dropping in to darkness, next minute you're in a surreal place created digitally.

PLEASE!!!! I hope anyway.

Why are people talking about mapping as if it's a dead certainty? Have I missed something somewhere :/

I'd be happy with just solid theming pre lift to be honest :)

LiamC said:
Why are people talking about mapping as if it's a dead certainty? Have I missed something somewhere :/

I'd be happy with just solid theming pre lift to be honest :)

Yes clearly dude ;) - there was a leaflet thing a few pages back that said about a company using it in a new way being tested to bend the riders mind on The Smiler basically. New technology too, which is quite exciting!

Everyone shouts about how accurate the game is, but how about the insane twists in the tunnel?

It's got me thinking it will make the tunnel twist around and flex, like that amazing Villa Volta video.

It may just be a little 3D Smiler - who cares? NO, seriously?

Even I don't. I have to give them a break now. OK if it rides awful, the effects are pants, the inside is SAW MK2 and it just makes you feel ill from going OTT with inversions - I'll be slating it, and it will be deserved for wasting 18 million quid (no comebacks with but it goes upside down a lot).

Until then though? I have not felt this positive about the ride in a long time since before the theme was released. There is clearly still much to be done also judging by the game, just played it again to check the accuracy, even The Smiler screen shows the same projections.

Let's also remember, in coaster line up terms, this replaced the Black Hole.

TheMan said:
OK if it rides awful, the effects are pants, the inside is SAW MK2 and it just makes you feel ill from going OTT with inversions - I'll be slating it, and it will be deserved for wasting 18 million quid (no comebacks with but it goes upside down a lot).

This is my concern. John Wardley always said you can build the biggest, the fastest etc. but if people dont want to go back on it then you have failed as a ride engineer. I may be wrong, and i'm not slating the ride at all - after all, I havent ridden it yet - BUT, I do have a worry that the re-ride factor on this ride given its intensity will be low amongst the GP.

But I may also be wrong.... wait and see!

GaryH said:
This is my concern. John Wardley always said you can build the biggest, the fastest etc. but if people dont want to go back on it then you have failed as a ride engineer. I may be wrong, and i'm not slating the ride at all - after all, I havent ridden it yet - BUT, I do have a worry that the re-ride factor on this ride given its intensity will be low amongst the GP.

But I may also be wrong.... wait and see!

I was paying greater attention to how the ride, well, rides on the game today also, the inside bit from the station looks like it will be a total head bender. It also puts pay to this nonsense that you will "need to ride it first" meaning an inversion record is the only first. Between the game and construction, you can read many posts from people who've gathered it will be an inversion record breaker and have tied the game and construction.

The track is unlikely to move obviously, the projection having just been leaked out (surprised they were allowed to print that) - means to me, they're going to bend your head in that first part of the ride. It matches with hints we've had, things you've heard, things I have heard, and now other things appearing to back it up. I am not one AT ALL for effects like this, I even hate the trommel in duel, and as for Hex lol? Forget it. I am not the only one either.

Then there is the ride, this has to ride smooth, like, glass smooth - if it doesn't, it will be an absolute nightmare of a ride, worse than Colossus which is unbearable for me at the back now.

I think the track concerns, the OTT concerns, are the real issues here - and no longer the "will it be immersive" etc as it is clear even to me it will be. They also seem to be adding a bit of sinister, the cartoon aspect I still don't like and never will, but when those screens went on it's so in your face that it takes attention away from the bits that could, in my opinion, have been a bit better.

This is most definitely more like the creepy Willy Wonka film, stylised sinister, rather than faux happy like The Sanctuary.

I think if we get anything like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrgWH1KUDt4#ws happening in the preshow I will be very very impressed.

But I doubt it'll be anything like that, and imagine it's more likely to be something involving making us think we're not moving but we actually are, or mapping a moving smiler face onto a smiler face that moves towards you.

I think this will be like Nemesis. It's intense, but enjoyable so you want to ride it again and again.

Obviously all lies down to if it will be rough or not. If it's a painful ride, that's what will cause no one to re-ride it.

I do not think for a moment though that intensity will push people away from re-riding it. Quite a lot of intense rides around the world prove this.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.