• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates / Ride Speculation Part 2 *SPOILER FREE*

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: [The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

Tomahawktom said:
^ Oh hello there. You back with some new news?

Nope. I said I'd pop up when all becomes clear, I thought the disorientator video would have given it away but yet everyone remains skeptical, so I will crawl back under my rock for a few more weeks until people ride the ride. If you think Alton Towers would single out a simple inline twist as a mind bending element with its own name on a ride that has the most inversions, well, thats foolish, a characteristic all to prevelant on this forum, in the words of Benjamin Franklin 'Any fool can critisise, condemn and complain, and most fools do'.

Dave said:
Blaze said:
I'm still choosing not to believe they managed to sneak in a giant revolving mechanism under cover of darkness and install it and cover it without any of us noticing.

There is definitely no trick track, the video will be referring to the indoor inversion and potentially some effects.

Im flabbergasted at how many people over-estimate the complexity of this element. Arn't there engineers on this forum. The method of rotating a straight piece of track 360 degrees doesnt require a 'huge revolving mechanism' it doesn't require a barrel or drum at all.

I've heard their will be some gas in the canisters...

bits of Oxygen, Nitrogen, little bit of Argon and CO2 along with small traces of other gases.

By friends, dads, cousins, tree house told me this.

;)

I will laugh if there really is a 360 rotating element.

I still doubt it. I really think a solid good roller coaster with 14 inversions is enough to please anyone in every way possible.

I have never completely dismissed the idea.

We could end up with a projection pre ride show, a piece of rotating track, or track/walls that appear to rotate due to 3D projection, laughing gas, no gas etc etc! It could be all, none, some or something completely different entirely.

The fact is, and where it is really quite extraordinary. No one knows. Still!

I don't know anything about the ride... I just think a washing machine element is a stupid, uncomfortable and gimmicky idea.

I don't think Alton Towers are stupid enough to waste money on it.

For a track piece to turn completely 360 degrees I don't really see how it could be done without some kind of drum... It's the only viable way of supporting the track piece in my view - otherwise how would it stay up? Dunno while we're still discussing this mind you, it ain't happening...

We have seen the track, there clearly is no washing machine element! However there could well be an illusion to make it feel like you are spinning. That is much more likely and that's what I think The Disorientator could well be!

:)

Definition:

1. Loss of one's sense of direction, position, or relationship with one's surroundings.

2. Mental confusion or impaired awareness, especially regarding place, time, or personal identity.

There will be no trick track.. Just an illusion!

I find it hilarious that we've seen solid track in every aspect of the construction. It's not happening. At all. Well, unless the Towers have pulled a blinder and installed a piece of track during the day, to then uninstall it in the middle of the night and install the washing machine element...

On another note:

We have now seen an awful lot in the game that is identical to the actual theming we are seeing on park. The smiler video is the same in the game as on park, the markings on the station, again exactly the same.

Therefore, could we see the yellow paint, the moving cameras, tv screen and 'conversion' areas too?

Me thinks so!

spin_doctor said:
Im flabbergasted at how many people over-estimate the complexity of this element. Arn't there engineers on this forum. The method of rotating a straight piece of track 360 degrees doesnt require a 'huge revolving mechanism' it doesn't require a barrel or drum at all.

Let's go back to basics - there are 4 ways you can rotate a straight piece of track:

1) Have said track connected to a central pivot point above the track. The track would rotate around this central point 360 degrees, and would require a fair amount of machinery. Riders would be on the inside of the circumference traced by the circle the track would create.

2) Have said track connected to a central pivot point below the track. The track would rotate around this central point 360 degrees, and would require a fair amount of machinery. Riders would be on the outside of the circumference traced by the circle the track would create.

3) If we imagine the track to be tri-track, have the track rotate about the 'bottom line' of the track. The track would rotate around this central point 360 degrees, and would require a fair amount of machinery. Riders would be on the outside of the circumference traced by the circle the track would create.

4) Have said track connected to a barrel or drum. The track would then travel around this drum, making the centre of rotation much lower than it would be in 1).

From what we've seen of the possible position of the rotating track, which is quite a lot, there isn't a lot of space. So, I'd argue 1) and 2) would be highly improbable for this ride due to space and clearance issues, not to mention that 2) is rather unsafe.

Much like 2), 3) is not exactly safe due to the riders' heads being away from the centre of rotation. Whilst feasible, it would be very uncomfortable in my opinion.

4) would be the most likely option to happen if this rotating track idea happens. From what we've seen of the construction around the rumoured area of this rotating track, no such drum has been installed, and if they planned to install it after the area was concealed, I imagine that would be very difficult, on top of what has already been a VERY difficult construction. I just can't see it being likely at all that there's any rotating track whatsoever.

EDIT: tl;dr There'll be no rotating track.

On the other hand, if after my ride, it turns out that there is rotating track, I will quite happily eat my hat, and put a video on Youtube of me doing so. (If anyone has any hints as to flavours that go well with hat, let me know, in the unlikely event that I have to do so! :p )

The track runs pretty much along the ground, so it can't rotate on its own axis, it would have to be attached to a circular drum. Which there clearly isn't. Case closed. Move on.

Spin_doctor are you stil saying you'll crack an egg on your face if you'r wrong?

Tomahawktom said:
Spin_doctor are you stil saying you'll crack an egg on your face if you'r wrong?

Hell yeah, in fact, I'm so certain I'm gonna up the stakes and say, I'll video myself cracking not one, but two eggs on my sorry ass face. I already have my victory post with appropriate memes embedded, ready to copy and paste on opening day.

Y'all can come up with whatever seemingly intelligent guess work you like but you sound like fools. Teehee.

Turn it in, it's so predictable. When the ride opens without it, you'll come on laughing, bragging about how you had us all off with your made up element and wound us right up by insisting it was real even after it become clear it wasn't.

If you have no evidence other than hearsay, then I'm not gonna believe you. I'd rather follow what evidence there is than to go on a blind belief.

It's also better to be wrong for the right reasons, rather than right for the wrong reasons.

spin_doctor said:
Tomahawktom said:

Hell yeah, in fact, I'm so certain I'm gonna up the stakes and say, I'll video myself cracking not one, but two eggs on my sorry ass face. I already have my victory post with appropriate memes embedded, ready to copy and paste on opening day.

Y'all can come up with whatever seemingly intelligent guess work you like but you sound like fools. Teehee.

Alright then. I'll just leave this here:

More to the point, now that it has been revealed, I can say that I privately messaged TT team member 'Wes' telling him the secret about this ride is that it will have 14 Inversions.

From the 7th of October 2012. Hmm, considering the washing machine would add to this total, doesn't really add up, does it?

Or how about:

I can now confirm that this ride WILL have a beyond vertical drop inside the building.

And, again:

Also can I just remind you, I said this ride will have a beyond vertical drop, dont forget that.

Don't worry, it's certainly not been forgotten.

People usually are sceptical about claims to be in the know, and you've given us the reason why. Not only that, but we've seen the barrel roll in the station, built. With nothing to suggest it has something that would cause it to rotate.

And did I also bring up the lack of a beyond-vertical drop? Oh, yeah I did. Another thing that is clearly not seen inside the station.

Unless, of course, the magic little elves come in a night an build it.

well if you do turn out to be right, all this proves is your willingly ready to risk your girlfriends job (If I remember I thought you said girlfriend)

post as many meme's as you like, but it still makes you a certain male appendage for so happily risking their job for selfish bragging and e-penis extending on Alton Towers fan forums.

but alas your blind taunting is spam and off-topic. If you want to add information to the speculation, go ahead but all you are currently doing is trolling, spamming and genuinely irritating other members.

There is definitely, 100% no washing machine element. Every sane member of this forum knows that. The chances of it actually being true are so absurdly miniscule that any further discussion on the issue just clutters up this topic.

Can I make a plea please, that beyond this post we completely cease discussion of this and talk about something that isn't ridiculous? By continuing to reply to him, you're just encouraging spin_doctor to carry on, and it's unbelievably tedious. Obviously I'm not a mod and you don't have to listen to me! But can we as a community agree that from now onwards, we will stop this discussion to stop this topic becoming completely worthless?

Here's the BS line.

==

==

We've now crossed it. Please let's not continue to feed the troll anymore. So, subject change. Does anyone think there's potential for the videos on the Marmaliser to change at all? I'm thinking maybe special Scarefest-themed videos, or other special event stuff. It's got great potential for season adaptation. :)

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.