• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[The Smiler] Construction Updates / Ride Speculation Part 2 *SPOILER FREE*

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Re: [The Smiler] Construction Updates and Ride Speculation Part 2

could it be the first Gerstlauer Euro-Fighter with cable launch? ;)

*runs off, and hides*

delta79 said:
as long as the marmaliser screen is not used to sell MAPs and fastracks :D

I can certainly envisage quite a few companies offering a lot of money to advertise on that screen ;)

Alastair said:
delta79 said:
as long as the marmaliser screen is not used to sell MAPs and fastracks :D

I can certainly envisage quite a few companies offering a lot of money to advertise on that screen ;)

Fanta?

I do hope that there is no advertising, though if a little thought went into the advertising then they could just about get away with it. I'm still unsure about the style of what we will see on the screen, but if it is similar to the game's "fuzzy tv screen with subliminal pictures" then they could quite easily pop up a man with an over the top smile holding a drinks can. Advertising certainly isn't something I want on the screen, but if it is to be done it should be done with the highest degree of subtlety. The original Coca Cola branding around oblivion did it well, and Main Street USA in the Disney parks does it very well - there is advertising for Kodak, Coca Cola and Ben and Jerries but they are all "hidden" in stylised, themed pictures. It looks a lot better than just whacking a giant orange sticker on...

For example, whilst the advertising is still quite obviously there, there is enough around the branding to distract and integrate it into the area. If you compare this to the *shudder* Fanta advertising that was slapped on the oblivion building.
BGiL2h3CAAAsQ1D.jpg

I'm hoping that they do something akin to the thunder rock radio for the big screen. Not the sound, but a long continuous loop of footage - imagine dystopian news stories, "fake" advertisements showing the "Smiling Process" in an overly innocent light, announcements from "The Smiler", similar to those in the Oblivion queueline, and with CCTV footage throughout the ride thrown in. It could really help create a strange and almost detatched atmostphere.

They have got a brilliant piece of themeing to use there - they've really got to make it count.

From TowersStreet FB page.... Today's construction update

481134_464357600301356_1036437970_n.jpg

543703_464357580301358_609210533_n.jpg

733982_464357593634690_1011751628_n.jpg

533960_464357630301353_2072927552_n.jpg

534147_464357680301348_1497610756_n.jpg

526415_464357643634685_1761021328_n.jpg

292266_464357693634680_1837886879_n.jpg

563631_464357663634683_1676341335_n.jpg

564612_464357703634679_1708796647_n.jpg

Third leg going in:

image26.jpg

(Thanks to ThemeParkCollective)

EDIT: 4:40PM

Thirds leg pretty much settled in its new home:

488181_545192178845298_1051647816_n.jpg

(Thanks to The Alton Towers Guide)

Being the horrifyingly sad git that I am, I thought I'd have a looky-loo around the HSE website for any notices regarding RITA and the whole cable snap tunnel shenanigans.
I didn't find any.

I did, however, find these two notices served on the Smiler's construction company in October last year. Linky link

They are Immediate Prohibition Notices, meaning an inspector has found something that they think will result in serious injury if allowed to be done.

The description of the activity for both notices reads:
PN - Failure to provide trench supports, box's or battering to ensure that the sewer pipe trench (or part of it) did not collapse.

PN - Failure to provide supports or battering to ensure that the faces of sections of the main excavation (or part of it) at the site of the new ride did not collapse.
This would go some way to explain the delay. They would have had to find a different way to excavate the areas that would satisfy the inspector and then complete the new work. Of course no work could be done while these notices were in effect!

Does beg the question of how they could have overlooked these, they seem like simple things to get done.

"Digging a hole? We better make sure the sides don't fall in on us!"
"Nah, leave it. It'll be right"?

So it seems that the "we need to blame someone" camp can aim their vitriol at the groundworks company. :p

Dar said:
So it seems that the "we need to blame someone" camp can aim their vitriol at the groundworks company. :p

That's a bit harsh for you Dar don't you think? What, are we beyond criticism or trying to figure out what went wrong? The rides not open, it's timescale way behind anything weather related (if anything, even more proven by the stellar efforts during this bad spell).

Looking for the source of this issue, at a park I love, that is now being heavily affected by it (anyone who thinks it's just the weather keeping people away, please remember rainy bank holiday traffic chaos, rain/cold does not stop the British going places).

This has had a huge knock on effect for the park, to deny this is ludicrous, so do we care about it or not? I do, so I care who f'd it up also, which I still maintain someone clearly did.

Ultimately if the park suffers badly, as it is now, we end up with a poorer service through the season for it, as the park is restricted based on performance as per last year.

I looked at this, from an over riding perspective, and it led to me to having major concerns and frustrations. IF the builders are at fault for flouting HSE regs, and this has caused a major delay, I hope Alton Towers had suitable contract clauses for compensation. That has to be a standard when dealing with such huge construction projects, especially in a presently competitive market.

Right now is the perfect time to be buying construction labour.

This was not about "finding someone to blame" it was sourcing whom was responsible due to wanting this project to run smoothly and get open, for everyone's benefit - right now NO ONE wins.

EDIT:

Those pictures are incredible, I hope they clad those legs though because they clash with the track badly. The track on its own is amazingly twisted and crackers, The Smiler must contrast against it so it doesn't get swallowed up aesthetically.

I can't imagine it will, but my point on this being more sprawling than tall in terms of it's impact is something I will be standing by :) - it is certainly original that's for sure.

TheMan said:
Dar said:

That's a bit harsh for you Dar don't you think? What, are we beyond criticism or trying to figure out what went wrong?

No. It was a flippant remark, denoted by the tongue smiley!
[sarcasm]Short of putting it in a bright neon font with massive sarcasm tags, I don't know how else I could have made that clear![/sarcasm] ;)

I'm sure the project managers have known what has gone wrong for far longer than we've know something was wrong to begin with. I was just trying to provide some background as to the kind of thing that has provably gone wrong, rather than more speculation [sarcasm]that a gust of wind blew some of the construction plans into a puddle meaning they had to wait for more to be printed.[/sarcasm].

Dar said:
No. It was a flippant remark, denoted by the tongue smiley!

Ooops sorry ;D

Had one too many "how dare you criticise anything" 's lately - plus it's Saturday and I just got back from shopping ;D

There, my excuses and I stand by them ;)

(Sorry again m8)

TheMan said:
Had one too many "how dare you criticise anything" 's lately - plus it's Saturday and I just got back from shopping ;D

No worries! But I have to ask, in all honesty and seriousness, who the heck voluntarily goes shopping on a Saturday??! :eek:

With the Marmaliser, for some reference, based on "other" pictures each of the legs appears to be around 4-5 feet wide!

And this one from The Alton Towers Guide FB shows a teeny, tiny person stood inside the main structure only taking up one section!
538732_544602692237580_682835698_n.jpg

Dar said:
With the Marmaliser, for some reference, based on "other" pictures each of the legs appears to be around 4-5 feet wide!
And this one from The Alton Towers Guide FB shows a teeny, tiny person stood inside the main structure only taking up one section!
538732_544602692237580_682835698_n.jpg

Like I said yesterday, pictures really don't do it justice. Plus, because the base of it is down in the pit, all the pictures are taken from nearly level the screens on it. It's hard to judge it's size without seeing it, however the picture of the guy inside it does give you some perspective.

Looks great close up :)

I was on site today. More piccies are needed I think, we left about 3pm so I missed some of the later construction?

The park looks magical -
P1030593.JPG

P1030583.JPG

and
P1030694.JPG

But you don't really care about that do you . What you want is Smiler pics. I'm only going to post a couple though.
P1030620.JPG

And my usual shot from blivy queue
P1030653.JPG

The only action we could see on site today was some concrete being layed
P1030681.JPG

and some welding inside the station
P1030605.JPG

Smiler staff handing out cards
P1030637.JPG

And finally a shot looking back to X sector as we headed over to Dark Forest.
P1030699.JPG

stretchy said:
I was on site today. More piccies are needed I think, we left about 3pm so I missed some of the later construction?

The park looks magical -
P1030593.JPG

Firstly, THAT is absolutely stunning and I am surprised no one has passed comment on it. Beautiful picture Stretchy.

Then we get onto this, which is most certainly worth pointing out backs up Liam's point totally about the size. The first time I believe it is captured in true perspective... now ironically, The Smiler (due to how we view perspectives) has made the track look smaller here lol! However, knowing how big that track actually is, makes me realise that contraption must be even larger than I thought it was!!

Arrrrghhh!!! My issues with the theme are being eroded by how hilariously mental that thing is ;D

stretchy said:
And my usual shot from blivy queue
P1030653.JPG

Check how tiny the guy in the blue jacket (is that you Astro?) appears, much closer than The Smiler is too. You can probably take at least 1/3rd more perspective height than is suggested by that person.

Or just think/compare how tall that fence is around it, then notice how much taller it is. :eek:

That thing ain't small by any standards!

Dar said:
No worries! But I have to ask, in all honesty and seriousness, who the heck voluntarily goes shopping on a Saturday??! :eek:

Indeed Dar, indeed ;D

Dar said:
TheMan said:

I would have a guess at someone who needs to buy some food to eat.

Hearing rumours that another lorry arrived today, along with talk of rotating track!? Anyone got any pictures of it?

TheMan said:
Hearing rumours that another lorry arrived today, along with talk of rotating track!? Anyone got any pictures of it?
I've heard it was a Lipra Loof truck, Azerbaijan's Eddie Stobart rival.

TheMan said:

If this happens... I'll jump, I swear.

Bear said:
TheMan said:

Just the messenger mate, would it really be that bad though?

TheMan said:
Bear said:
TheMan said:

Just the messenger mate, would it really be that bad though?

I don't think it would be bad, just VERY improbable, as the only place it would go is indoors, and I don't even think it would fit in there then... We'll have to wait and see though.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.